NASA Solar Dynamics Observatory-5 Year- AMAZING!

Lou_Meluso

<p>Alan. The duration of smaller solar flares can vary from seconds to minutes to hours, and the duration of larger coronal mass ejections can be from hours to days. When looking at some of time lapse videos of the sun, you can get an idea of the timing by considering that the rotation period of the sun at the equator is approximately 25 days (some of the video clips appear to have the rotation movement compensated for). I have looked at the sun through a single wavelength (hydrogen alpha) solar telescope, and all the features looked stationary to my eye. However, if a short duration solar flare did occur when viewing, the sudden increase in brightness might be noticeable in real time. More information at: http://cse.ssl.berkeley.edu/coronalweather/CMEsFlares/ .</p>

<p>Glenn thanks for that link. The top video one on page 3 showed a clock so you can see the hours it takes for the CME to eject. It would be nice if others would add a clock to their videos. All of those I've seen in the past did not show a clock leading to confusion as to the time element, an important criteria of the phenomena.</p>