Monday in Nature Weekly Photo May 4, 2015

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, May 4, 2015.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version. In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large man made structures like roads, fences, walls. Try to minimize man made features and keep the focus on nature.

Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week. For more details on guidelines please read this helpful information.
    Greetings,
    So, you're walking through the woods on a nice day. The birds are chirpin', froggies are croakin', bees are buzzin'. You're having a great day. The sky is blue, not just any blue, but that deep cerulean blue and there's an occasional, yet refreshing breeze. The trail is in good condition, and when it ends, the underbrush is manageable. A long desired destination is out ahead and today you're going to finally get there. All along the way nature has provided eyefuls of beauty. You and your camera are on fire. You've shot 30 frames and 25 are keepers.
    Then you step in it. You're glad that the car is 5 miles away because it will take that much walking to get it all off your new boots. Oh yeah, that's a fresh one. Watch where you set the camera bag. Unbeknownst to you, a small flock of vultures roosted in a tree above your parked car and the paint job may never be the same again. Ooooooohhhhhh sssssscat.
    Any scatologists out there? How often do you really look closely at one of the most abundant substances in nature? There's a lot to learn from a pile in the woods, or anywhere else. What animals are around? What do they eat? Look down and all around. There's a lot to see if you're willing to stick your face and camera in a pile of manure. Coprophilous (now there's a new word for the day) organisms from bacteria to fungi and insects thrive in this environment, using nutrients and making them available for other lifeforms. It's a challenge for macro photographers, that's for sure! But the rewards are there. This is most likely Lasiobolus papillatus at 5X. The yellow orange color is visible to naked eye and details can be seen with a hand lens. Another, as yet unidentified, pretty species of fungi was also growing here. Lot's to see, up close.
    Sometimes on Monday in Nature it's easy to wonder, who dung it? Better check your boots.
    00dGyB-556601684.jpg

2. My image is from a slightly higher level. Betula papyrifera flower.
    00dGyH-556601884.jpg

3. Found a busy little BEE yesterday and used my macro lens to get this shot.
    00dGyR-556602584.jpg

4. Backyard Birds
    00dGyZ-556602884.jpg

5. Had to negotiate around some leftover winter dog poop for this one
    00dGya-556602984.jpg

6. Dead plant along the roadside. --Sally
    00dGyc-556603584.jpg

7. Laura...talk about making the best of a bad situation! A good photo to boot...

8. Another newcomer to our small lake, this 6' male looking for a lady 'gator. To supplement his mating call grunts he has taken to sporting a pair of eastern amberwings, the accoutrements du jour for any young 'gator trying to improve his sex appeal!
    00dGz6-556606484.jpg

9. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

My wife and I observed this little bird for quite a while at different times yesterday. It maybe a juvenile common loon (Gavia immer)?
    He was making a lot of action in the water late yesterday evening, at Moss Landing, California (along the California coast, in the Monterey Bay)
    00dGzN-556606684.jpg

10. [​IMG]I was searching for something to photograph on rue Quai in Laprairie, Quebec and found this. I used my 70-300mm nikkor almost wide-open and close to the maximum zoom to capture new growth and the setting sun. Picture control on the camera was set to vivid. Very limited post processing _ cloned out some wayward branches on the right side.
    00dGzT-556606784.jpg

11. stemked

stemked Moderator

[​IMG]
    Wood Poppy, Indianapolis Pentax K3, 100mm DA macto.

12. kts

kts

looking down on the Rocky River this past Saturday morning
    00dGzi-556607484.jpg

13. The Annas hummingbird I posted a photo of recently, hatched two eggs. This shot from yesterday shows the last chick to fledge.
    Leaves of the pear tree have filled in so this photo is from the other side with 70-300 Tamaron @ 300mm on D800E (cropped).
    It looks like the round white object on the side of the nest may be a fragment of egg shell. Do hummers ever reuse nests the following season? I'll have to be careful with next years pruning if that's the case.
    00dGzo-556607884.jpg

14. Coyote Hunting
    [​IMG]

15. Laura this week's theme is perfectly timed. Found this corprophage congregation yesterday along the Amargosa riverbed. When out in nature, the bottom line of nature's food webs is overlooked at one's peril... literally!
    00dH06-556608384.jpg

16. Tony - stellar image this week

17. Gup

Gup Gup

Bears at the beach...
    00dH0A-556608584.jpg

18. Hopefully this is the last we'll see of the ice until perhaps next December. Goodbye and good riddance, ice
    00dH0Y-556609584.jpg

19. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Ice is ok as long as it comes from inside my refrigerator. :) We are in May now, and I am sure those who had a long winter in the northern hemisphere are happy to see spring.
    Glenn, nice hummingbird nest image. A few years ago, someone found an Anna's hummingbird nest in our area. We were standing in front of it from maybe 10 feet away. While that gentleman was pointing that out to me, it still look me a couple of minutes to locate it. Hummingbird nests are tiny and they are well camouflaged with the environment.

20. Lots of peacock butterflies here in the UK at the moment. Here is one on some cherry plum blossom.
    00dH0j-556609684.jpg

21. Well, she was giving me the eye....reacting to many of us stopping (in Denali). This female was chased by the bull moose...so any sort of posing was coincidental. Don't get me started on mooskie droppings in chocolate :>).
    00dH0w-556610084.jpg

22. Weathered wolf scat on lichen covered granite. Deer hair and bone shards being all that remained.

23. one more time
    00dH16-556610584.jpg

24. Since Laura started it, had to look back five years to find this one. It is sheep dung with a couple types of fungi visible. One is probably Stropharia. Cannot ID the other.
    00dH1B-556610784.jpg

25. Fresh from the trail today - Dutchman's Breeches.
    00dH1X-556611584.jpg

26. Laura,
    I'm just amazed one might get 25 keepers out of 30 shots. Sounds like something I might have dreamt once.
    No scat, but this tree swallow with its head screwed on backwards no doubt dropped some.
    00dH1a-556611784.jpg

27. No scat, just leaf litter providing the breeding ground for these two little mushrooms!
    00dH1q-556612284.jpg

28. Tony, that image makes me want to melt. It's simply beautiful.
    For those of you who may have not been around or missed it for whatever reason, check this out from the early days of MiN. It's one of my all time favorite posts and worthy of mention this week.

29. Well, she was giving me the eye....reacting to many of us stopping (in Denali). This female was chased by the bull moose...so any sort of posing was coincidental. Don't get me started on mooskie droppings in chocolate :>).​
    Leszek great un-posed moose pose! And for a moment I thought you were going to finish with a reference to the master of imagery-without-a-camera, better known as Utah Phillips ;)

30. Happy Monday everybody. I just started to continue a local river project I've been working on for some time so I have new images to sort through. In the bog area there are some big resident carp and this one was having a great time filtering off goodies from the top.
    Nikon D7100, 400mm Nikkor ED-IF f3.5 @ 5.6, 1/1250, ISO400
    00dH29-556612584.JPG

31. Well, I was all set to include a flower shot taken with my new camera but the topic sort of started... well south. So, in keeping with the fungus theme, I drug out an old shot taken in South Carolina on a hiking path leading to a waterfall. The 'shrooms were abundant and very picturesque. These were taken with sunlight reflected upwards from a small reflector as well as diffused flash. The lighting is a little unusual coming from the bottom but I found it more interesting than direct flash. A little 'shroom city on a hill.
    Tom
    00dH2h-556613984.jpg

32. While hiking and photographing in Death Valley the week before last, I spotted this burro. They were once common in the park (introduced by early miners), but were largely removed in the late eighties because they too-successfully competed with native species for food. But, there are still a few around.
    00dH3M-556615284.jpg

33. Paul,
    Utah Phillips! We met him at a local music festival years ago. He autographed our son's boy scout cap. It was better than any badge. His message was far more enduring.

34. Yes, there are so much to see, and to learn, when we look closely at anything.
    Here is a backside look at a big tropical leaf (Elephant's Ear? Alocasia? Or...?). I apologize for not being able to participate yesterday (Monday) due to a crazy busy day.
    00dH6e-556627684.jpg

35. Before the rain;
    00dH8b-556632484.jpg

36. Have not been getting as many nature shots that meet the criteria for a while, but here is one.
    00dHFY-556652984.jpg

37. Mary, I love you back lit leaf!

38. Thanks Gordon. The light was "bad", but excellent for backlit photography. :)

39. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Mary, I like that leaf image too. Glad you made something great out of harsh light.