Monday in Nature Weekly Photo July 14, 2014

Discussion in 'Nature' started by lgw, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Basic Guidelines: Nature based subject matter. Please, declare captive subjects. Keep your image at/under 700 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing and try to keep file size under 300kb. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc. Feel free to link your image to a larger version.
    In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include hand of man elements. Please refrain from images with obvious buildings or large structures. A bird on the fence or bug on your finger is fine. Try to minimize man made features, keep the focus on nature, and let common sense be your guide. Let's post 1 image per week. Guidelines details are here.
    Monday Morning Greetings,
    There have been surprises of all kinds while out enjoying nature this last week. Everything from the chance meeting of a nature photographer whose work I've admired to the mutually startling encounter with a Timber Rattler. Yikes! Nature is full of surprises and I hope you've all had your share of good ones. You had a camera with you, right? These are droplets of exuding from a thick mycelial mat in a very decayed log. A pretty surprise indeed.
    What surprises do you have for Monday in Nature?
    00chkX-549746384.JPG

2. Saw this butterfly in Austin.
    00chkr-549748084.jpg

3. Nikkor 55mm Micro on Nikon F3; Kodak C-41 film @ EI 400.
    [​IMG]

4. Black-tailed Hare ("Jackrabbit"), Yolo County California
    [​IMG]

5. Despite deer being a common sight around here , I think we were both momentarily surprised when I walked out the basement door last week and found her grazing nearby.
    00chkz-549748584.jpg

6. Fantastic photo Douglas, love the back lighting on those ears.

7. Douglas - Gordon is right, great image
    Mine is somewhat of a panoramic image of a slime mold (Hemitrichia calyculata) about 2-3mm tall. The image is stacked using 10 images.
    00chl8-549749584.jpg

8. Beautiful and fascinating shots as ever. This shot was not really a surprise as Arctic Terns always attack anything near their nests and as this one's nest was near the path it duly dived on to us. So it is difficult to avoid getting pictures like this and hats are always a good idea around Arctic Terns.
    00chlG-549749784.jpg

9. Lovely exposures here this week.
    No matter what, nature is perfect.
    00chlK-549749884.jpg

10. kts

kts

that is some cool looking fungi Matthew.....nice shot
    this blackbird was pestering me while taking sunrise shots at the lake saturday morning....as colorful as the sunrise was this was one of the better shots of the morning......:)
    00chlS-549749984.jpg

11. A joy as always to begin the work week with a scroll through Nature. This one is from my archives -
    00chlX-549750084.JPG

12. Hummer in motion. Image was captured from my deck yesterday afternoon...
    00chlj-549750284.jpg

13. Last week strolling around Golden Gate Park in San Francisco I stumbled on the classic / stereotypical Robin with a worm in its beak
    00chlk-549750384.jpg

14. Bill, looks like a Gulf Fritillary. Beautiful creatures. I'm back to dragonflies this week, with an Eastern Pondhawk snacking on an Eastern Amberwing. This is some of the drama that takes place at a small pond in the middle of a park in the city, equally as exciting as the peregrine hunting in the marshes or the lion hunting its prey, only on a much smaller (and more accessible) scale.
    00chln-549750484.jpg

15. No where near as spectacular as Matthew's fungi, a small white fungus on a decaying log.
    00chm9-549751884.jpg

16. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

I like Douglas' rabbit ears also; they look translucent.
    Pelican landing
    00chmF-549751984.jpg

17. Rodger,
    Many thanks for the ID. It was taken at Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. I am there almost every morning and always find interesting bits of Nature to photograph....bb

18. Bull frog.
    00chmh-549753784.jpg

19. Matthew Brennan, welcome to MiN. Nice shot of a very fine looking growth.
    I too like those ears on Douglas's hare.

20. Well, I got to snap some pictures of an insect I'd only seen in pictures till now. So that was a pleasant surprise for me. You can click on the image to see it larger.[​IMG]
    Peruvian Shield Mantis (Choeradodis rhombicollis)

21. A visitor at my balcony;
    00chnl-549755684.jpg

22. Hello everyone, what wonderful nature shots this morning.
    Laura, what a beautiful shot. Reminds me of water drops :)
    Douglas, beautiful shot with fantastic detail
    Rick, can't believe I am going to say this but I love your slime mold !
    Siegfried, what a beautiful shot .
    I am still out shooting the hummers in my garden. I was so fortunate that this young male Ruby Throat stopped for an ever so brief moment in just in right spot.
    00cho0-549756084.jpg

23. This was a surprise that I even got the shot....
    00cho2-549756184.jpg

24. Everybody's a little chary of the backyard deer, given attacks on students on campus by deer who may be suffering from chronic wasting disease (CWD)--transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE)
    00cho7-549756384.jpg

25. Siegfried, Great shot. Talk about camouflage.

26. Patches of snow melting snow above a relatively recent basalt flow.
    00chpV-549762384.jpg

27. Marigold stamens...
    00chpZ-549763584.jpg

28. early walk sunday july13 2014
    00chqO-549765784.jpg

29. From the Elizabeth Morton Wildlife Refuge in Noyac NY.
    00chqX-549765884.jpg

30. Roberta, thanks. It was pretty stuff and fun to photograph.

31. Many wonderful shots this week.
    Sorry for being late, but I was traveling yesterday.
    Goldfinch Picks Apart Thistle
    [​IMG]

32. Gorgeous shot David.

33. [​IMG]

Friday night supermoon super'shroom, July 11, 2014.

34. Roberta - Thanks for the nod
    Lex - Excellent image

35. Borrowing from Roberta, I can't believe I am going to say this, and must admit I never imagined it, but, Lex Jenkins, welcome to MiN. Nice perspective on our celestial partner. I've always liked your series with the branches, especially the one that looks like an archer.

36. Thanky kindly, folks. I'd practically given up on the notion of nature photography after moving from my former rural home to the city. But there are unusual opportunities here and there.

37. Very cool image Lex. I just returned from a trip to Colorado Springs, so will be posting shots from that area over the next few weeks once I've sorted through the 1000+ I took, but until then, this week's shot is from a couple of weeks ago, and comes with a cautionary tale from experience as well. When photographing bugs (or anything for that matter), one should be well-aware of one's surroundings. Either that, or one should have a medicine cabinet well stocked with calamine lotion (which, for the unfamiliar, is used to treat the poison ivy rash (and if you don't know what that is, consider yourself lucky))!
    00ci2B-549806684.jpg

38. Sorry, another late entry (connectivity issues). This was a surprise interaction I had not seen before. A great blue heron gives a second warning to this overly curious faun. 7D + EF500 f/4 + 1.4x (tripod).
    00ci2O-549807184.jpg