Monday in Nature Feb 27, 2017

Laura Weishaupt

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc Are you new to this thread? We post one image per week.

Good Morning,

The opener today is a small celebration of the winter that hasn't seen much of the white stuff around here. At your place it may be very different, but we live with our own slice of nature, especially when it's Monday in Nature.

843775148_Mondaynature3.thumb.JPG.4c79f54db11b14202a4b6fc232ab99ac.JPG

• Like 2

I live on granite. My house is literally concreted to it. All our plants grow in raised beds, half barrels and rock gardens filled with imported soil. My driveway was created from dozens of truck loads of imported sand and gravel. This granite is referred to as the Canadian Shield and forms a huge part of the terrain of Northern Ontario. This lichen can be found growing almost everywhere the shield is exposed to the sun and is a large part of the tapestry under our feet. I took the shot during the summer, though, as it is hard to find at the moment.

1712760112_Lichenongranite10004290.thumb.jpg.a1d84d8f259a28c21cde08f42c199072.jpg

• Like 1

These beautifully dotted animals are the fastest in the world. I have had the opportunity to see a mother leading three of her cubs "strolling in the woods", young adolescent cheetahs playing in the morning, watched them stalk, chase, and kill a wildebeest (as my heart was thumping), photograph them as they ate the prey (as in this image), and see them relax under the shade of a tree after a full meal. - An awe inspiring cycle of life on the African Savannah,

CheetachFeastingFinal.thumb.jpg.cc12f28e4e2d0aa0de93592ca8c0d0ee.jpg

• Like 4

I heard there might be geese back on Lake Bomoseen, so I went off in search of them. Before I got where the geese might be swimming I came upon another critter so I shot that one instead, Of course while trying to get my lens cap off it flew away and landed further off, and this is a pretty severe crop, but at least I can see what it was. He or she proceeded to peck at the material on the ice, and I'm guessing it was collecting for a nest. I hope so! 670590602_bomoseeneagle.thumb.jpg.6273a499f3972bcd5764fdffbfbc11ff.jpg
  • Like 1

I thought the eagle was going for frozen fish, but it seemed to be picking at the weeds, and not hanging around the open water spots as I've seen them do elsewhere, so unless there was something in the weeds, it's possible it was after the weeds themselves. But it occurs to me that since the lake is infested with both Eurasian milfoil and zebra mussels, perhaps the bird is hunting mussels. In another picture the eagle is picking up a big hunk of the vegetation, but it's not clear what's being done with it.