Monday In Nature, 9 September 2019

DavidTriplett

Basic Guidelines: In the strictest sense, nature photography should not include "hand of man elements". Please refrain from images with buildings or human made structures like roads, fences, walls. Pets are not permitted. Captive subjects in zoos, arboretums, or aquariums are permitted, but must be declared, and must focus on the subject, not the captivity. Images with obvious human made elements will likely be deleted from the thread, with an explanation to the photographer. Guidelines are based on PSA rules governing Nature photography which also cover the Nature Forum. Keep your image at/under 1000 pixels on the long axis for in-line viewing. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site at Flicker, Photobucket, your own site, etc.

Each member please post no more than just one image to this weekly thread per week.

This is from a trip to the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, last year. I keep coming back to these images as the time of day and conditions have been difficult to duplicate, though Heaven knows I try.

MiN-190909-.jpg.15d55d8cda0fc28d229d9e2364850eb4.jpg

• Like 5

I've seen Cattle Egret - but Elephant Egret ? At least it was not Marco Polo's famous Roc, or Rukh !

Yes. I also have images with cattle egrets on top of the elephants, though mostly I saw them with the hyppos. I selected this example because I like the flying egret - made the image smaller because I already posted one today. Hope this is OK? If not, please delete.

MaryDooEgfretsOnElephant.jpg.b66743948a3adde559a3c392c1f80d58.jpg

• Like 5

Technically you're only supposed to post one image, but I don't have admin rights, so you're good with me...:rolleyes:

Sorry, I suppose I could just respond to the question and not post a picture. At that moment, I knew I had something showing those birds on elephants. :oops:

• Like 2

Sorry, I suppose I could just respond to the question and not post a picture. At that moment, I knew I had something showing those birds on elephants. :oops:

May I remind people of the wise words of Admiral Grace Hopper - When in doubt, go ahead and do it. It is far easier to apologise than get permission.

• Like 3

May I remind people of the wise words of Admiral Grace Hopper - When in doubt, go ahead and do it. It is far easier to apologise than get permission.

:mad::confused::cool::D:eek::rolleyes:o_O

Also like your signature quote "I sometimes get delusions of competence". Me too! :eek:

• Like 2

That is usually good advice, as long as you are not playing Russian roulette. In such case it could be all too late to apologize. :eek:

• Like 2

Folks may recall that as least I favor letting everybody post 2 or 3 images per week on this thread, but clearly most members prefer the one image rule. That is fine too.

However, sometimes it is much easier to answer certain questions with some images. As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." In such case those images shouldn't be counted towards the one-image rule. What I really don't want to see is someone dominating these threads with lots of images per week.

• Like 3

That is usually good advice, as long as you are not playing Russian roulette. In such case it could be all too late to apologize. :eek:

a) certainly this advice should be filtered through a generous helping of common sense (so called because of its relative rarity - Terry Pratchett [i think !])

b) apologise to whom ? The person most affected will surely be the first to know :(

• Like 1