Misaligned EF 70-200mm f/4L

joseph_wei

I recently bought my first L lens - a EF 70-200mm f/4L - off of Ebay. The lens

is very sharp, and I was really happy with it until I noticed some problems with

the left side of the picture. At wide apertures (4-4.5), the left side of my

photos is blurrier than the right side, which is fully sharp. Pictures taken at

these apertures of flat objects show that the left side is soft - to the point

that it looks like motion blur or uncorrected coma. Everything else is killer

sharp.

I confirmed this by running the lens through the classic "newspaper test" - I

put the lens on my Rebel XT (which has never had any signs of focus problems) on

a Gitzo tripod, leveled it with bubble level, used mirror lockup and self timer,

ISO 200 - JPEG large, and took pictures of an evenly lit article taped to the

wall. Again, the left side showed up as blurry, while everything else was sharp.

I'm in communication with the seller of the lens, and he's not sure what to do,

since he tested the lens before and found it to be sharp. Has anyone here had a

similar experience with this kind of problem? Does Canon do repairs on used

lenses like this - and if so, will it be prohibitively expensive? (I'm a college

photo student and spent most of my budget buying this lens already). Any help

will be appreciated!

This is a know problem with these lenses and probably not something that the previous owner caused. Although he may have been aware of it and should have disclosed the problem. Canon service will fix it for a price. You have several options. You may want to negotiate the price of the fix with the seller, return it to the seller or if the price was good enough you may just want to eat the price of the repair. Once it is fixed by Canon it's a great lens that you will get great pictures with. Good luck!

My 70-200 4L had the same problem--blurry left side. According to Canon it was due to an

"obstruction" in the gear train and was fixed for free, albeit several years outta warranty. Now

it's tack sharp.

Incidentally, anytime I mentioned this problem on most forums I'm told I'm full of it and

dumb as a stick!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

General rule. Avoid buying used privately. Buy used with a warranty from a dealer.

This is not going to help your cause, but I used to own this lens and fortunately did not experience the problem your lens is experiencing. It sounds like a batch problem based on Puppy Face's response. Let us know what Canon did for you.

If UPS (or whoever) dropped the package in shipping, it's possible that's why it's misaligned, too. If seller can prove it was sharp edge to edge before shipping and you can prove it's not now (sample photos from each party), then your best recourse might be to talk to the shipper. They might cover repair costs.

Thanks for all your advice! I contacted Canon this morning, and I'll send the lens to them in a few weeks (after I finish shooting some important photos that I absolutely need the lens for - I'll simply crop out the soft edge, since the rest of the lens is so sharp). I considered returning the lens, but that would leave me without a lens for the photos I need to take and the seller would have to get it repaired anyway, in order to sell it again.

I wonder how hard it'll be to actually get UPS to pay for the repair - the box itself doesn't look like it has any significant damage (other than one dented corner), and the lens itself was extremely well packed. If this lens of the same batch that Puppy Face encountered, then it may well be a factory problem; the seller may not have noticed it earlier, since he primarily used the lens for landscape photos (and I've noticed that the softness definitely disappears once the lens is stopped down to 5.6 or 6.3).