M9 sensor?

<p>I have sent my previously-though-of-as-wonderful M9 to Leica for rangefinder calibration. I've been quoted a cost of $500 to do this calibration, and been offered a sensor upgrade at no cost. Is an M9 worth spending $500 on, given the well publicized issue with sensor corrosion? I REALLY had liked this camera, but...</p>

<p>Heck, yes. Most of the cost is in labor and handling, so it's more efficient to get everything done at the same time. Relative to the original price of the cameras, that would be like spending $50-$100 for Fuji to upgrade the sensor in an X-Pro 1 or X-100s and calibrate the viewfinder whatsis or whosits. But in reality that wouldn't occur because labor and handling costs are pretty much the same regardless of the value of the item, which is why most inexpensive consumer grade stuff is considered disposable and replaceable. My Nikon D2H has become glitchy and the estimated repair cost is just under $500. It ain't worth it. But a Leica M9? Heck, yes.</p>

$500 is a rip off for adjusting the rangefinder. $300-350 is still rather steep. That's around what I paid, in Autralian dollars.

I suspect Leica are squeezing the local repairers on the cost of the labour to replace the sensor so they're trying to recoup

by overcharging for rangefinder adjustment. The apparent bargain is the free new sensor making the rangefinder

adjustment charge less painful. But fair is fair and $500 is ridiculous.

<p>If you like it, why not keep it? - I haven't the slightest clue what you should do instead of getting your $500 repair done. Buy 2 more M9s and "weld" the zone focused 21mm on the one with RF issue? Save till you can afford 2 M(240)s?<br>

I'll send my M8 in for RF readjustment soon. Was my mistake to drop the beater I just finally got this year. <br>

I don't understand the sensor corrosion issue entirely. Was it just a few first versions and is it fixed by now, or does it happen to young MEs too and previously fixed M9s again? - And aren't Leica as it seems willing to get it under control for free or at least "nice" prices? - So why worry about it, when its a joy to shoot Leica? - You can pick an alternative repair person next time for the RF calibrating and hope the new sensor you are getting will last a while.<br>

If they charge me the same 400 Euro as you, it will be almost half of what I paid for my camera, but still much cheaper than any alternative, so I'll get it done. - "Worth it" ends when repair exceeds replacement cost fairly and the quality / usability of the repaired system seems highly questionable. <br>

My M8 is supposed to be either a relatively inexpensive carry around by daylight fun camera or a source of neither badly nor personally needed color files captured with my M lenses or in a worst case a backup for a failing MM. - So far it appeared capable of these chores. I'm aware of the high ISO issue and screen failures that might strike me some day. - I have other elderly digitals too and the M8 isn't the worst among them.<br>

To get dissenchanted I need a feeling of helplessness and perma-ripp off with a camera's needs for repairs, let's say annoying electronics quirks that re-occur every 9 months and cost to get not really fixed for an umpteenth time. <br>

For sane advice we'd need to know the facts you haven't shared: How many years & how few clicks ago did you get the M9? / What do you expect to happen how early to make the investment furtile? Which dream burst for you? - Buying a Leica that lasts without repairs? is the TBO really too short? <br>

Even more important: what else could you enjoy to shoot? - I don't see real alternatives besides retiring, hitting the gym, lugging a Linhof around and claiming the personally soaked and v700 scanned HP5 to be cheaper than per click cost of Leica.</p>

The issue is putting any more money into the camera. Definitely worth it. And even if some time in the next ten years you

have to pay some of your own money for another new sensor. That is a realistic possibility. My point is that $300 is steep

for the rangefinder adjustment and $500 is outrageous.

<p>Curious, what would a new sensor cost if you were to purchase it installed from Leica if they weren't giving it away that is. Its all marketing, you really are actually paying for this upgrade program, but 500 for a sensor and alignment is definitely something one would pay on a several thousand dollar USD camera. If you just need an adjustment, you could call to non-leica repair person and get probably a much lower cost, wouldn't include a new sensor though.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"M9 to Leica for rangefinder calibration. I've been quoted a cost of $500 to do this calibration, and been offered a sensor upgrade at no cost" <em><strong>Stephen A.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'll add that $500 <strong>isn't</strong> just the cost of calibration. <br /> If you had <strong>not</strong> sent in a camera that maybe showed mileage, or with a complaint of something other than a sensor issue, this probably would have been done at <strong>*<em>no cost</em></strong>.<br /> <br /> In other words, it's possible you have a sensor of the batch they know was manufactured with the internal flaw and they're strongly encouraging a replacement. But since you either, exceeded 3 years since you bought it new, or you admitted you weren't the original owner, or have signs of heavy use (maybe blemishes, scratches or dings), or the fact that you have an issue that is associated with shock or impact (out of calibration RF is usually a sign of external issues;it doesn't just happen), they don't feel compelled to offer up the "goodwill" service...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"If you just need an adjustment, you could call to non-leica repair person and get probably a much lower cost, wouldn't include a new sensor though" <em><strong>Barry F.</strong></em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is true, but also know that along with the other issues stated, if it does get serviced by an average tech, and Leica later notices during the <strong>inevitable </strong>claim of <strong>"<em>my sensor looks defective</em>"</strong>, that because it was previously touched by unauthorized/poor workmen, your "goodwill" request may be denied.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><br /> "what would a new sensor cost if you were to purchase it installed from Leica if they weren't giving it away"<strong><em> Barry F.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Leica claims $1,800 plus - BTW: They won't sell them to techs/me...<br /> <em><strong>*It's free of charge</strong></em> up to three years following the date of original purchase, plus an <strong>extended goodwill</strong> arrangement is in place on a sliding monetary charge.</p>

The coat is considerable for the Leica sensor and circuit board unit. On rangefinfer forum and Leica forum there's been

discussion of a ten year program of Leica for covering the cost of replacement of over $2000 with gradual reduction of the

proportion of this paid by Leica. I am happy with M9 and Monochrom and see this as a positive which likely keeps my

cameras viable for ten years as I had originally hoped.

<blockquote>

<p>This is true, but also know that along with the other issues stated, if it does get serviced by an average tech, and Leica later notices during the <strong>inevitable </strong>claim of <strong>"<em>my sensor looks defective</em>"</strong>, that because it was previously touched by unauthorized/poor workmen, your "goodwill" request may be denied.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well this is basically what I was talking about. The ability to get the sensor replaced for free which is what they are offering now, though the OP is getting slapped with $500. It seems not a bad bargain.<br>

And when I said Non-Leica person, I simply meant not to Leica itself, but to one of the well known reputable Leica repair people, such as Sherry (if she does digital) or DAG (if he does digital) Or G. Lazzari or Stephen Choi, I'm sure there are others. I didn't say or mean any average tech.<br>

</p>