Lightroom 4 now full release

<p>Well this is a turn up for the Adobe cynics, Lightroom 4 is released with a full price of $149! That has to be the best $149 any enthusiast can spend on their hobby. True pro grade software at half the previous price, with some real improvements too.</p>

<p>Looks like Windows XP is not supported.</p>

<p>Official <a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html">Adobe page link</a>.</p>

<p>No Scott, you are right, XP is NOT supported, and Adobe has clearly stated that you must have Vista or upwards to be able to use LR4.. :( Bad news for us cheapskates who do not want to buy a new computer before the old one dies....</p>

<p>FWIW, the installation of LR4 on a Win Vista 32 bit box couldn't have gone smoother. The conversion of my v3 (ie, older format) catalogs went quickly and, at least at first glance, the conversion seems to have not introduced any bizarre colors or other conversion artifacts. Also at first glance, LR4 appears to run faster than the LR4 beta that was released a month or so ago.</p>

<p>The only strange thing that happened was that after installation of LR4, when I then attempted to use PS CS5, it started to give me strange errors and warnings that I have never before seen. For example, one warning stated that PS had to disable processing by my graphics card because of incompatibilities. Another glitch was that even after doing a cold reboot of the computer, PS CS5 hung repeatedly and had to be restarted when opening existing PS files. It had no problem if you opened a blank canvas or brought a JPG in through ACR. Problems like these have NEVER EVER happened to me before this morning. As far as I can tell installation of LR4 was the only change made to the computer in the last day. </p>

<p>I can't imagine any way there could be an interaction between the installation of a new version of LR and an unchanged installation of PS, but I replaced the PS preferences files with a backup copy I had made, and it's working fine once again. Weird!</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<p>Can anyone explain why Adobe are charging just USD79 in US yet in Australia with a strong Australian dollar vs USD it is a whopping AU 98? Thats a 25% loading.<br>

Adobe have also imposed obstacles to prevent one location from downloading from US to avoid these unwarranted price differentials.<br>

Brian</p>

<p> </p>

Brian,

Because they can. Mind you every restriction Adobe has ever applied has been systematically destroyed in the Internet

environment. Is there a different tax structure on software in Aus?

I know iTunes has similar restrictions to area downloads and registered CC details and part of their reasoning is different

costs of operation in different countries.

<p>Just recently, here in the UK, Adobe made a "limited time" offer for Lightroom 3 purchase at £118 approx. A lot of people who, previously, could not really justify paying nearly double that figure thought "Well at that price I will buy, especially as the new features in version 4 mainly offer more to video users". Great we all thought, selling off the old version cheap, good on Adobe!<br /> Then they released Lightroom 4 for £103 approx. Mmmm, wonder how many people they've p****d off with that one.</p>

<p>1_development process is to be relearn, or adapt to the new slider. Things seem to move much faster i mean the correction seem to be applied with lower number.</p>

<p>2_strangely, all my page layout preset dont work anymore.. i have some specific need; 2 x11x14 with crop mark set on a 24x15 paper size on my epson 7880 for example.. in Lr3 when i select images + my preset all was smooth ready to print.. now... broken. when i select my set, any of them they wont work. Not a big deal as i can and will redo them in no time.. but good thing i only have 6.</p>

<p>3_like the new brush + gradient option, moiré work very well, highlight etc also.</p>

<p>4_the soft proofing is a nice addition, even if i dont have any need for it, for those who use it in Ps, its a very good thing to have now. It is below your image in the development panel in case you search for it (like i do for 20min during the beta version)</p>

<p>5_Adobe add a little brigtness / contrast slider in the print menu, excellent idea! i use to remove 2 arrow in exposure in the quick develop mode to all my image before printing via Lr.. now i can do it in the print panel.. just have to find the right setting, but didtn print yet , so will see tomorow.</p>

<p>While I think there are some great, very useful new features such as the ones Patrick points out, I have already found a few things I don't particularly like.</p>

<p>1. The email feature is very nice but it can't import an address book from a mail client and it can't even automatically save the addresses you use with it. It's a manual process for every address and it's a pain, it makes it easier to use the preset I built to use my existing mail client.</p>

<p>2. Publishing to Facebook is more complicated than it needs to be. You have to create a collection for uploading to Facebook. Why? After setting up your account, it would be nice to just add "post to Facebook" to the big menu used for everything else.</p>