Lens choice for Nikon D40 portrait work

ussorca

<p>I have a D40, the 18-55mm kit lens, and a 55-200mm lens. Portrait work is most interesting to me, but my budget constraints keep me from throwing money at new equipment. Keep in mind I am an amateur and will remain such. </p>

<ol>

<li>Which of my two lenses is best suited for portraits? They will be single subjects, posed indoors and outdoors, and will be half-body, or head and shoulders. Will use natural light when possible, and work with pop-up flash if necessary. Results will be manipulated only through Picasa.</li>

<li>If I must, and if it would be a great advantage, I can find the money for the 35mm, f1.8 that Nikon released this Spring.</li>

<li>My remaining choice appears to be the 50mm, f1.8, that doesn't cost as much but won't auto-focus on a D40.</li>

</ol>

<p>Your usual informative responses will be appreciated.</p>

<p>Try the 55-200. As a starting point, try it between 70 and 90 or so from a few steps away.</p>

<p>The disadvantage is that as with any consumer zoom the maximum aperture isn't enough to give you good bokeh. This is where prime lenses come in. The 50mm is better than the 35 for the kind of work you're talking about - you can see that by shooting the 18-55 at 35 and 50. Even without autofocus, the 50/1.8 is the best value Nikon makes.</p>

<p> Either of your lenses will work fine for portraits. The 18-55 will work better for full-length to bust framing, the 55-200 from bust to head shots (used between 55-100mm). Since the 50 won't AF, you can get a cheaper 50/1.8, even an old 50/2, and go by the histogram for exposure. At the 18mm focal length, your small zoom is great for environmental portraits (your daughter with her barbie collection in her room, for example). You should consider getting at least one decent flash unit and learning how to use it (check Strobist.com).</p>

<p> It is imperative that you experiment with all this advice, and test everything for yourself instead of simply swallowing advice whole. The 50/1.8 enables you to throw the background out of focus better than either of your zooms. You're going to need a tripod and LOTS of window light to pull off indoor portraits with either lens.</p>

<p>As has been said you can use either lens but when shooting portraits you often want to blur out the background so that it will not compete for attention. That requires a faster lens than you have. The 50mm f/1.8 will not AF on your D40 but the meter will work and you can manually focus. The D40 has a focus confirmation diode in the viewfinder to show when the subject is in focus. It's easy to use. I have a D60 and often use MF. The 35mm f/1.8 DX will AF on your D40, but it's not really a good focal length for head or head and shoulder shots. Adorams has the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for $135 new. You could get a used one even cheaper.</p>

<p>" I can find the money for the 35mm, f1.8 that Nikon released this Spring. "</p>

<p>It (35/1.8) would be easier for shooting indoor natural lighting portriat too. Another problem you may have is finding a place that have them in stock too. Get the money ready and don't blink when you do find one.</p>

<p>Thank you, troops. Some good advice here. I had the 55-200mm on the camera, and took a couple using Andrew's tip. I was pleasantly surprised. Right too, about bokeh. Just can't get the result with these lenses. But, I am started using what I have. Also, have a line on a used 50/1.8, so there is some hope for that as a "next step". <br>

Again, thanks. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions....especially about lighting.</p>