Leica camera and lens

<p>Please forgive me if this posts twice. I posted earlier yet am unable to find my question. Must admit to not being very good with computers :0)<br>

I am having a clear out of my attic and have what I think are a vintage Leica camera and lens which once belonged to my grandfather. I would be gratefull for any advice on what they may be worth and advice on how to go about selling.<br>

The Items I have are:<br>

Leica DPR Ernst Leitz Westzlar<br>

Leitz EMLARIT-M Lens<br>

Thanks for any advice or help you are able to offer.<br>

Regards<br>

Angie </p>

<p>Angela - check Ebay for completed auctions on the name and model of your photo items, also www.KEH.com usually has some Leica items for sale. It would be sheer speculation on our parts without significant details of the camera and lens, knowing nothing about the model, serial numbers, working and cosmetic conditions, erc. of your gear.</p>

<p>The store I work at outside Chicago really doesn't have the vintage Leica clientele that would allow us to buy older Leica equipment or take it in on trade. As such, on several occasions, I've referred customers with older Leica gear to Sam Shoshan at Classic Connection. He's dealt with the customers I've referred fairly, and I'd send customers to him again:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.classicconnection.com/contact/">http://www.classicconnection.com/contact/</a></p>

<p>Please let us know the serial numbers for precise identification, but a camera with Leitz DRP (Deutsches Reichspatent = Imperial German Patent) is likely to have been made no later than 1949, whereas the Elmarit lens is likely to be of a later date (made for the M series cameras with a bayonet lens fitting - as such, it will not fit the camera). If you fancy using an old Leica. you might think in terms of selling the lens and buying a screw-mount lens which will probably fit the camera. But as I said, we need the serial numbers to be sure!<br>

VERY rough guide to value - all Leicas which have been lying around for a while need servicing (costs about $150). Most screw-mount bodies in good cosmetic condition will sell privately for $300 to $400, the last model IIIg goes for a little more, and a small handful of very rare models go for much more ("Compur" Leica I, "Three Crowns" IIIg, "Kriegsmarine" IIIc, for example). Can't say anything about the Elmarit without more details.</p>

<p>Thank you all ever so much for yor responses. I should have put serial nos etc in my first post. I have provided them below:<br>

Camera: Leica DRP Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Serial No 197761<br>

Lens: ELMARIT-M 1:2:8/135 3398054<br>

I should add that I am in the UK not the States.<br>

I don't mean to sound unsentimental when it comes to these items, I was not close to this grandfather. I thought I could use the funds raised to buy a little thing for each of his 4 great grandchildren which would mean more to me than the camera. <br>

I can't see how to add pictures but once I submit this I will have a look. Thanks again :))</p>

<p>Leica IIIa from 1936, according to my sources. No M lens can be mounted on this camera body. What you can hope to get for the two items depends on their condition. The camera body is a common one, and 135mm lenses for range-finder cameras find few buyers. As you're in England, you might ask on the <em>purelight-photography</em> forum. A Leica turned into gifts for children becomes an even more wonderful thing.</p>

<p>Thank you all ever so much for yor responses. I should have put serial nos etc in my first post. I have provided them below:<br>

I don't mean to sound unsentimental when it comes to these items, I was not close to this grandfather. I thought I could use the funds raised to buy a little thing for each of his 4 great grandchildren which would mean more to me than the camera. <br>

I can't see how to add pictures but once I submit this I will have a look. Thanks again :))</p>

<p>Few Robertsons can be Welsh -- but one must take account of migration, you see.<br>

Photos not needed: people here will know exactly what you're talking about.<br>

If you do need to do simple photo editing, you might download and install any of several free programs: two good choices are IrfanView and PhotoFiltre.</p>

<p>You'd probably do best with a private sale (ebay 'completed auctions' will give you an idea of what your camera and lens go for). You should sell them separately rather than as a job lot. Does the camera also have a lens fitted? If so, you might want to post what is engraved on the front.</p>

<p>You could also sell through a dealer, but obviously they'd take a substantial cut, either as a commission sale, or by buying outright and selling on at a profit. Condition matters a lot, but the retail price of a typical IIIa sold by a UK dealer would probably be in the £200-£300 price range. A standard Elmar or Summar 5cm (50mm) lens might add another £50-£150.</p>

<p>Some dealers you could try:</p>

<p>http://www.richardcaplan.co.uk/<br>

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/<br>

http://www.apertureuk.com/<br>

http://www.rglewis.co.uk/<br>

http://www.ffordes.com/</p>

<p>(to see if they're selling something similar, look under the 'screw mount' section for the IIIa, and under 'M' for the Elmarit-M).</p>

<p>Not sure what an Elmarit-M 135 goes for nowadays, but quite possibly more than the camera. The serial number suggests 1984. Does it have the 'goggle' attachment like this?:</p>

<p>http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65/imsl-imaging/M-6.jpg<br>

http://conanscameras.blogspot.com/2011/08/leitz-elmarit-m-135mm-f28.html</p>

<p>Maluk....thanks for the tip re photo editing software. Yes re migration - you can never be sure but yes Robertson is a good Scots name :)<br>

Richard yes the camera has a lens attached to it (it screws out) I can find a serial number on it when I take it of. Engraved on the front is Leitz Elmar f=5cm 1:3,5 - with various numbers around it. It also has a chrome cover with Leica engraved on it.<br>

The large Elmarit Lens looks like the one in your first link with the thingy over the top. Thank you so much for the links to various dealers, I will investigate these pages for info.<br>

Can I just say what a nice friendly bunch you all seem to be :) </p>