Kodak

a._cook

<p>What has happened with Kodak?<br>

Is it closed?<br>

Is there anything indicating there is international interest in buying?<br>

Before getting to Know photography there were so many moments of my life involved with Kodak<br>

that it just makes me sad thinking that it is gone for ever. And I want to know more. Perhaps some of you<br>

business oriented members know about it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2014/01/kodak-transforms-from-photo-pioneer-to-new-tech-company-relists-on-new-york-stock-exchange/#1"><strong>Kodak transforms from photo pioneer to new tech company, relists on New York Stock Exchange</strong></a><br>

Jan. 8, 2014<br>

"Kodak today celebrated its recent relisting on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) by ringing the exchange’s opening bell."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I see.<br>

If the reason why you are not saying more is because there is literature, around the period when it was about to close all the way to now that is opening again, what articles should I read in what newspaper, so I get a good idea?</p>

<p>I'm not saying more because I haven't read all the most current reports on Kodak's future. But Kodak is no longer the Kodak that manufactured light sensitive films, papers and photo chemistry. That Kodak is gone. I don't even recall now whether they've retained the intellectual property, sold it, farmed it out to another manufacturer or something else. I lost interest in Kodak after they fumbled too often. The world moves on and I'm using Ilford products now - have been using mostly Ilford stuff for 10 years. I'll miss T-Max 100 and 400, but I'll manage without them.</p>

<p>The company that invented Digital Images, has been left behind by other companies that beat her.<br /> I read about 5 articles. New and older ones. All of them were short. Kind of reminded me the little ness of Kodak as it functions now. Printing, commercial, packaging. Only that. That is what remained from all the rest it was involved in. It sounds as if the new board wants to be cautious, not saying much. What is there left to say anyway when so much good stuff has been thrown to the garbage?<br>

I am sure Kodak can do great.<br /> But that is not the point. The point is that the reason I am sad, lots of people are, isn't one to do with pure economics. It is to do with the heart not the mind. From now on, it is only going to affect those hearts that are loaded enough to afford its services. But Kodak was loved by more people, and abroad.<br>

I hope it comes back with a new invention, continue to re inventing image making, only this time please combine analog with digital technology, it 'll make the last one look a lot better than it does now, with the pixel I mean.</p>

It's not all as dark and final as it

sounds.

The still photo film business was sold

to Kodak's U.K. pension plan, who are

running film as a going concern and

their primary business. In spirit, this

seems very similar to what happened

when Ilford collapsed and re-emerged

with owners/managers committed to

film photography.

The new company which makes Kodak

film products (including Tri-X, T-Max

and Ektar) is called Kodak Alaris.

Keep buying Kodak film! It's great stuff

and should be around for a long time

yet.

<blockquote>

<p>But Kodak is no longer the Kodak that manufactured light sensitive films, papers and photo chemistry. That Kodak is gone.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Then who's manufacturing the film used in theatrical movies that list the Kodak logo at the end of the movie credits?</p>

<p>To be more specific about what Charles quoted from Lex's linked article is that Kodak is now a B2B operation kinda' like a support service sector for a still thriving packaging and graphics industry from what I'm interpreting from "commercial and packaging printing". Not sure. </p>

<p>Hope that means Kodak is going to improve their One Hour Photo Lab dye sub/inkjet printer color quality I see at my local Target and CVS pharmacy. Hope they come up with better technology that will supplant those abysmal printers. Wonder if they're competing against Fuji's Frontier Dry Lab one hour photo services. Guess we won't be seeing any more Kodak printers for pro-sumer photographers.</p>

<p>Just for nostalgia sake I found this YouTube video showing 1922 test footage demonstrating Kodak's first color movie film... </p>

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFH-gl1cpQ</p>

<p>I don't begin to understand what's going on with their corporate structure. But Tri-X, TMax and Portrait haven'g gone anywhere. They're still on the Kodak web site and in-stock at places like B&H. And since Fuji pulled out of the movie film business last spring, Kodak is the only major supplier of professional movie film, which is dying as both production and projection go digital but isn't dead yet.<br>

<a href="http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/filmsIndex.jhtml">http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/films/filmsIndex.jhtml</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong>2013 - Effective Sept. 3, 2013</strong>, the Document Imaging and Personalized Imaging businesses were divested from the Eastman Kodak Company and now represent divisions of Kodak Alaris Inc. The Eastman Kodak Company continues delivering imaging innovations for commercial printing businesses.</p>

<ul>

<li>The Document Imaging and Personalized Imaging businesses continue to operate under the Kodak brand, carrying on the proud tradition that has existed since 1880. The Personalized Imaging businesses will continue to provide Retail Systems Solutions (including kiosks and in-store processing solutions), Event Imaging Solutions (including theme park imaging), and Paper & Output Systems (traditional photographic paper and still camera film products).</li>

</ul>

</blockquote>

<p>They don't mention movie film , so it seems like that part of the business wasn't sold. Looks like the 35mm still film still branded as "Kodak" is actually produced by the divested Alaris entity. However, as pointed out already, silver halide movie film is going the way of silver halide still film - i.e. towards a low volume niche product. </p>

<p>

It's notable that they don't mention anything about the film business is their new press release

<p>

<blockquote>

The new Kodak dubs themselves a “global technology company offering breakthrough solutions and professional services in the packaging, graphic communications and functional printing markets”. Kodak leverages its technical expertise to drive change in the industry, with new applications and a broad product portfolio</blockquote>

<p>Kodak still owns the movie film business, for now.<br>

Kodak Alaris distributes Kodak brand still film, but the film is still manufactured by Kodak (in the same place where they make the movie film). </p>

<p>The long term outlook is not great. Movie film is providing the volume to keep the plant running and that segment is declining rapidly. </p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"I am sad, lots of people are, isn't one to do with pure economics. It is to do with the heart not the mind."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I was reading about <a href="http://www.ampex.com/">AMPEX</a> (inventor of the modern video tape recorder) since I had once use their multi-track audio tape machines. The once<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampex"> all-mighty company </a>has been reduced to 100-odd employees now making ruggedized data recorders. <br>

<br>

Every industry will have had its heyday, shining stars, and those nostalgic over glory days. Heathkit, McIntosh, JBL, Allied Radio, classic muscle cars, were all once Kodaks of their domain but are either gone or have morphed into something that bares little resemblance to its origin. <br>

<br>

I guess that's what we call progress. <br>

</p>