Kodak BW400CN

<p>I used to shoot a ton of Tri-X back in the day. After a several-decade hiatus, I'm going slowly going back to b&w but I have neither the time, space or inclination to develop and print my own films, like I used to do. I don't like the results I get with outside labs with my Tri-X.</p>

<p>I was thinking that Kodak's chromogenic BW400CN might be an alternative. I can get it developed at the local Costco, which still has a wet minilab manned by a staff that changes the chemistry, keeps the equipment clean and is attentive to the customers' needs, specifically a few local pros who get their colour negative stock developed and printed there.</p>

<p>I'm curious as to what anyone's recent experience has been with this film. I know the only way is to shoot a few rolls, which I shall do, but I'd appreciate input.</p>

Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck

<p>I really like it, especially as it scans very well, and the "digital ice" dust and scratch removal feature on my scanner works fine with this C-41 B&W.</p>

<p>Stephen, Just in case you're not aware of this, the big retailers stock it, and probably at a much lower cost; i.e. B&H Photo, Adorama, Unique, etc. Even with shipping, I don't think you'd have to order too many roles to offset the shipping. </p>

<p>@Stephen -- It's readily available from B&H I believe.... yup: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/316785-USA/Kodak_1629617_BW400CN_135_36_Black.html</p>

<p>@Jeffrey -- it's a beautiful film. I rarely use it anymore because I learned to do my own B&W in order to save money on processing expenses.... here are some examples. These are rather low contrast scans but you can boost that if it's to your taste.</p>

<p> </p><div>00Z0aR-377589584.jpg.18bf09f1936c43ff086e2a3c3a4fcde8.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered a brick from B&H and will put it through its paces. The minilab operator at Costco told me he will adjust the equipment so I don't get those green-tinged prints. He has two other regulars shooting chromogenic C-41--been there, done that--so I feel better about what to expect. I cut my teeh on b&w sheet film back in the late 60s but developing and printing my own just doesn't appeal to me at this stage of my life.</p>
Jeffrey L. T. von Gluck