ISO 4,000,000 anyone?

bobatkins

<p><em>The ME20F-SH camera's CMOS sensor has pixels measuring 19 μm square, which is more than 5.5 times the surface area of the pixels on the CMOS sensor featured in select top-of-the-line interchangeable lens cameras. Furthermore, the sensor's pixels and readout circuitry make use of Canon proprietary technologies to achieve both reduced noise and exceptionally high sensitivity on subjects with a minimum illumination of less than 0.0005 lux.</em></p>

<p>http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e02480fb7db6</p>

<p>The lens mount is different - look at the position of the red dot. Canon refers to this as 'EF mount (cinema lock type)'. The EOS C500 also appears to use this mount. So what's the difference and does it really take unmodified EF lenses?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Finally, a camera that can be used to track inside the box if Schrödinger's cat is alive, dead or both.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Too late. I think I remember seeing a photo a few years ago showing quantum superposition. Unfortunately, I can't find it now. (Very clever joke, though.)</p>

<p>Curious.. the specs say "full frame" yet the 2.26 Mega pixels is suspiciously close to the 2.073 Mega pixels necessary for 1920x1080. Maybe their "full frame" is not 24x36 mm.<br /> So, IF it is a video frame, I think they missed the boat by not going 4K. Best wait for Ver. II.<br /> But just think of the beautiful night time lapse videos we'll be seeing.</p>

<p>It is an interesting set of specs. 36mm is 36,000 microns, 36000/1920 is 18.75 microns-per-pixel, which is very close to the 19 microns they're stating. If they kept that pitch on the 24mm side it would have 1280 pixels for a total of 2,457,600 pixels. On the other hand if the sensor has a 16:9 ratio, the short edge would be 20.25mm and the pixel count is 2,073,600. But they state around 2,260,000 pixels, which implies around 1177 pixels on the short edge. But, (1) who knows what rounding has entered into the specs, (2) video pixels are not always square, so some of these assumptions might be wrong, and (3) maybe they're supporting 16:10 as well as 16:9.</p>

<p>As for the 4K, I assume they skipped it because they wanted to maximize low-light capability over all other factors.</p>

<p> </p>