Is full-time child photography a good income earning career? (Or is competition too fierce)

jeane_smith

Hello fellow photographers!

I am asking for some candid opinions as to whether a career move into

photography (namely child/baby photography) is a good option with a good

future, and what are the pros/cons to this kind of business for those of you

who do it full time.

A little background about me - photography has been my passion for as long as

I can remember. I have a little formal education with photography and I

probably don't spend a day without shooting with my SLR and I am also really

good with Photoshop (in fact that is one of my specialities). However, right

now, photography is not my full-time career. I work as a computer professional

in corporate America making a decent salary although I am forever drawn to my

true passion in life - photography. (I especially love portrait photography of

babies and children).

I certainly have the passion, the desire and the willingness to succeed, and I

keep hearing all these "wonderful" stories about how this is an awesome

business and after doing a little research on the internet, it seems like

every website out there is talking about how lucrative child photography is

and trying to sell you some package on how to get your "million dollar"

business started.

This is why I want to ask those of you who do this full-time and know

the "real world" out there about what it is that people who want to come into

this business should know.

I only know the "real world" about my own field of work - I can certainly tell

someone a lot about the real-life world of my profession - things they don't

tell you in college, especially back when everyone was chasing the .com craze.

But those are the kinds of things I want to know now about the field of

photography.

I know in my heart that if I take the plunge and follow my passion I would

love what I do. But how easy/hard is it to REALLY succeed in this industry. I

mean, these days, just about anyone can pick up their camera, take a few

classes and launch the same kind of business - what's stopping them? And does

that mean that the market will become (or already is) too saturated to make

money?

I dont mind not making as much for the sake of doing what I love. In my field

currently, it is not uncommon to make 6 digits. However, I have NO idea what a

typical children's photographer can aspire to make, even if they become pretty

successful with a huge client-base. Obviously not everyone is going to become

as famous as Anne Geddes. And truthfully, there are some incredible

photographers out there with amazing work who always compete with you if they

are working in the same areas.

When I look up local photographers and try to do the math with some of the

fees/rates I see, I start to imagine that it really doesn't take "too much"

business to make a good living. And yet, are there really enough people out

there dying to spend this kind of money on a regular basis (and enough to go

around all the photographers in the area).

What are you candid opinions on this field (child photography) and what

insight can you give to someone who is wondering on whether to make a career

out of it?

A very tough career choice to be avoided if you have saner options such as documenting the Loch Ness Monster, or photographing the fairies in Iceland. I did it 25 years ago. My customers included many of the child stars of the day. EVERYTHING that goes wrong is your fault. The mothers can be brutal-nasty, selfish, pushy, late for appointments and rude. The kids are often uncooperative and the money is an insult. I would rather do anything else at all. After a while, I was always too busy when a mother called for an appt., even if the schedule was empty--adults are that much easier.

To earn what you're making now - to say nothing of more than you're making now - your actual passion has to be for running and marketing a business. The photography takes a distant third place. As you've no doubt read, the time you spend with camera (or post-production tablet) in hand will probably be 5%-10% of what you spend doing paperwork, advertising, writing and wrangling over contracts and rights, etc.

<br><br>

Remember that dot-com craze you were talking about? You need to treat this the same way: right now, while you've got cash flow and health insurance, try burning the midnight oil for a few months straight. See if you really can put an additional 40+ hours on top of what you're already doing, since that's the sort of pace at which you'll need to work should you shift gears.

<br><br>

Not trying to sound discouraging - just a little reality check. Doing this as a business means - first and foremost - that you'll be running a business. Perhaps you should consider attracting a partner that LIKES to run businesses, deal with taxes, licensing, insurance, lawsuits, cash flow, and raising the capital needed to procure that $50k more in equipment you're likely to need... and let that person thrive on that end of things, while you focus on the part you like. Partnerships are tricky, but the perfect recipe - I think - would be a business person with a modest photographic interest partnered with a photographer with a modest entrepeneurship streak. Or, just figure in substantially more than you might have thought for legal and CPA costs, and heave ALL of that stuff over to them, and hire a marketing type to deal with the sophisticated web site you'll need, trade shows, magazine buys, etc.

<br><br>

Above all, though, don't let a third party's need to sell you the tools of the trade serve as any indication of how successfully you can actually run a business. If buying software from one of these "launch your business and make a million" vendors really was viable, we'd all be millionaires. I don't think we have to take a survey to know that's not true. It's good to hear you're doing some market research. Get more creative. If you pull up outside the studio of one of your likely competitors... what sort of cars do they drive? Do those folks <i>feel</i> like they're as successful as someone making six figures in IT? Regardless: you're asking the same question that person who loves working on cars asks. Or a person who loves grooming dogs. Or a person who loves interior design. Or a person who loves to cater parties for friends. What kills all of their business ventures is usually the same thing: lack of business-owning/running skills, poor record keeping, tax disasters, law suits, and the like. Skill and passions surrounding the thing they love (or used to love, before it became a chore) is often the very last thing that matters. I'd even go so far as to say that a mediocre photographer with crack business skills WILL do better than a fabulous photographer that wants to be a photographer full-time.

That's a tough question, but I'll try to give my opinions. The photography business has changed drastically in the last few years. WHere it is heading, I don't know. There used to be a big gap between a professional and an amatuer. That gap has narrowed. Considerably. It used to be a pro could make a decend, not great, living if they took good shots, had good customer service, good marketing, good business skills. Since digital came out, it gave many non-pros the confidence (because you can see the image on the camera) to go out and take more pictures. Many of those non-pros got their skills up a bit, and are now shooting for little or no money simply because they like it. They can afford to do this because they have little or no buisiness expenses. A couple of hundered dollars for an afternoon of shooting, a couple of hours editing seems like a good deal to them. For a pro a couple of hundered dollars for a handful of hours of work doesn't make much of a dent in the monthly expenses. Expenses like advertising, equipment (you need a lot more as a pro), insurance, profit, taxes, rent, etc. All expenses the non-pro doesn't have.

The PPA did some great market analysis last year. I think the report is on their site. It has all types of photgraphy broken down into different markets, trends, profit averages for large and small studios, etc.

I think the last I heard the average income for a full-time photographer was about $24,000 per year. I don't know anyone who can both live off of that and save for retirement. On the PPA report I think the average a photographer took in was about 33% of gross.

I also think people's general level of acceptability has fallen. They are more content with crappier images. There are a lot of really good photographers out there, and just as many if not more really crappy ones. That has always been the case, but it seems as long as it is exposed right it is a "good" photo. Many have forgotten, or don't care, or don't want to pay the price of quality work. Quality work from a pro is expensive.

If it is your passion, remember that only a small percentage of your time will actually be spent photographing. Most of the time will be spent in non-photography related chores of running a business.

The market for pro photographers now is way too saturated. I know many very good photographers in my town who have left the business, or their business is down drastically. Kind of like what has happened with the mortgage brokers. It was good for a while, now they are all out of work. The home sales can't support the number of brokers out there. Similarly, the amount of money spent on photography can't support the number of photographers doing it full time.

I'm trying to be realistic here.

Without knowing all your details, I would say don't quit your day job.

Keep your day job, hone your skills as a photographer, and shoot for another company as an independant contractor. That way you are not dependant on the photography income, and you will spend the majority of your time doing what you like, taking pictures. Many malls have busy portrait studios that cater to kids. Get a low-paying, part-time job there.

I so very much appreciate all this insight. It is exactly the kind of real-life advice I am seeking.

My thoughts were not to spend a ton up-front on an expensive commercial studio, but rather start small from my home and cater to moms and children in the area. As a mother myself I know lots of others and was hoping I could advertise by word of mouth mostly and have a representation online.

If I could eventually grow this into something where I make even 40K (not at all 6 figures) I know I'd be a happy camper. On the other hand if this is totally unrealistic and the reality is that I'll be putting in 80 hour weeks for 20K, obviously that won't be as ideal.

I do have quite a bit of business sense, which is exactly why I'm trying to start out by understanding this business and ask about it from the pros, instead of just blindly lauching myself into my passion.

I see quite few photographers in my area who charge anywhere from 100-300 for a session fee and have minimum orders of 200-500. They do it out of their home, or on location (people's homes, in parks, etc).

Like some of you have said, people do not expect "outstanding" quality. But these days one can produce pretty good results with even an entry-level SLR, a great lens, good lighting and of course post-production in Photoshop. Add in some creativity and the photos can be amazing.

But of course, my fear is that anyone with the slightest bit of business sense and knowledge in photography can do this and all too quickly, you might have more photographers than customers willing to shell out 800-1000 per session with you each week.

That's why I've been so cautious, even though a huge part of me feels like by being so conservative I'll simply never be brave enough to follow my passions, and only get to watch others do it.

The other thing that attracts me to this career is the flexibility to some degree since I am a mother and would love to have the extra time at home with my kids (not as easy in corporate America)

I fully agree with Greg, Matt, and the others. Competition is fierce now, there are tons of moms out there with the same idea. Running a successful photography business is 75% business, 25% photography. You say you have business skills, but do you have experience running your own business (a lot different than working in the corporate world)? Do you know that taxes will eat up 30% of your earnings? Not to mention all the other incidentals and costs of starting up a business - website, marketing, advertising, business cards, etc etc, the list goes on. Most people don't realize, also, that a 2 hr photo shoot can turn into 8 hours, minimum, of work. Shooting, uploading, proofing, ordering, packaging, delivering, all the accounting, not to mention all the work that went into getting that client such as advertising, putting out business cards,handling emails and phone calls, etc. all adds up.

Best thing you can do is put together a business plan and hammer it all out on paper. Be realistic - it's more than learning how to take good pictures and hanging out a shingle. Here is a great website to get you started thinking about some things: http://photolovecat.blogspot.com/2008/02/formulas-for-pricing-products-services.html

Some great feedback. I'll say that I don't think a large monetary investment is needed and I'm not sure why taxes would eat 30%. If anything you could get some great write-offs.

I think you just need to be prepared to do a huge amount of work for very little pay to start with. If you're doing things right and you have patience, it will come, but most likely very very gradually. Keep the day job and ease into this on the side. I went pro about a year ago and I'm still baffled by how much work there is...once in a while you even get to take some pictures.

Best move I ever made though.

Hi Jeane, just a quick thought here.....you mentioned that you are pretty proficient with photoshop. Well, if that is the case, use it. Some photographers I know outsource post production work so they are able to concentrate on other things.(like the things mentioned in all of the previous answers) This will provide you another stream of income.

Good luck!

Will

There is competition in everything.

Global economy. Some have had to adjust or change careers because of those two words.

What you want to be is one of the businesses that succeed. You need to develop a

business plan. How are you going to capture potential clients to buy your photography?

What could you offer that not many are doing or willing to do?

As a general rule, at least from people I know, there aren't enough hours in the day. How

could you convince people to take precious time to have photographs taken by you?

Certainly your photography has to rise and continue to rise at a level that people are

willing to pay for your skills.

I wouldn't worry so much about the competition. It's everywhere in every vibrant industry.

Keep a positive attitude about yourself and your skills. If you fail, figure out why and start

over again. And again. Keep at if you believe you can be successful.

Join the PPA and if a local affiliate of the PPA exists in or near your community join them.

I belong to the TCPPA and we are all striving to be more successful with what we do.

Best to Your Success.

If you carve out a unique style and package, you will distance yourself from the competition. I photograph kids full time (weddings on some weekends). My stuff is, I think, quite a bit different from a lot of the 'momtrepreneurs' who account for a huge percentage of kid photographers.

<p>

It took a couple of years to get off the ground, and I work between Asia and Canada to keep it going all year round.

<p>

www.iantaylor.ca

thank you so much for all your thoughts and both the caution and encouragement.

I agree that every kind of business is of course competitive, but also there are some really REALLY great photographers out there. There is never a day when I am not inspired when I go out online to see people's work.

All my friends and people I know are incredibly eager for me to take photos of them and love my creativity - but that's when its for free (who wouldn't jump on that). I know that actually running a business would be an entirely different ballgame. However I feel it would be ever so rewarding, if it becomes a success.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The short answer to your question is NO!

if you work hard you can make a living. If you're really good like some of the top pros ( say

the top 20% in the country) then you can make a good income. Keep in mind that the top

earners are great image makers. But some of the great image makers aren't making squat.

The difference is their business savy.

a couple of things to consider.

There are a lot of digital moms who are thinking of doing what you propose now. Your

work better be significantly better then theirs if you want to make a living at it. Right now

you probably make a decent salary plus get benefits like medical and retirement, paid

vacation. If you think making $40K a year would keep you happy, then I have to assume

your husband will be the financial breadwinner of the family and you are not worried

about making a living at photography.

If you make 40K a yr and have to pay for your current benefits now, you might only net

out 20K a yr. A bit of a difference if you were making 6 figures with benefits before.

Because of the very reasons that you think you are good enough to make a living, you are

correct in that every mother with just an inkling of sense could give you a run for your

money.

You also think that there is plenty of work to go around and that there is a tremendous

profit margin to be made. You are doing the right thing in researching because my gut

feeling is you are only seeing the surface. Most of the pros that are in business and plan

to stay in business would have a tough time making ends meet at the prices you thought

were pretty profitable. I know I'd be out of business at those rates. While you have alot of

mom's excited about you doing their kids pictures, you should ask them if they wouldn't

mind spending $400 with you now. That will give you a better idea of demand.

I make 6 figures in photography and know lots of others making way more than that. I will

tell you that in the last 10 years that out of everyone I have seen start up, maybe one in

100 are still around. The rest couldn't make it. That's not the say you won't be a success, I

just hate to see you give up a really good job money wise to go into a risky business

venture. If I look at my hours I would say that I spend about 1 hour a day shooting and the

rest of time running the business. A lot of full timers that have done decent in the past are

really running scared because the digital hobbyists have taken work from them and at

prices no one can make a living at. Many have had declining revenues in the last few years.

I know it all sounds scary. But you should know that many newbies coming into the fray

will truly change the playing field. I think over the next 5 years the bottom half of all pro

photographers will go out of business. The ones at the 50 to 75% level will still make a

living, but not as good as they have in the past and probably always be at the cusp of

closing shop. The top 25% will most likely stay in business and probably do well. If you

have good financial backing from your spouse and can afford to lose your current salary

for 3 or 4 years while you test the waters and have the ability to go back to your present

field at the same salary you get now, then you should go for it. It really is a neat way to

make a living. Just remember everyone thinks being a pro athlete is a great way to make a

living, but the truth is seldom get there.

• 1 year later...

<p>I know that I am very late on this one. But I thought I'd chime in since I photograph mainly babies and children. I run a full time studio, between three to five booked days a week. I was actually a film and theatre major in college, so when I pursued photography almost three year ago, I already had some composition classes and stage lighting courses under my belt. But other than that, I did not know how to operate a camera. I honestly did not know the difference between an easyshare and an slr. But I was determined to have a successful business doing something related to fine arts. My first step was to learn. Not just off of forums or books, but took my camera outside and flipped it right to manual mode and began experimenting. Then came learning about strobes. Then photoshop. Then I began shooting all in RAW, but only after my images were exposed and focused properly in the camera.<br>

Three years later, I run a very busy studio. I don't advertise at all. I don't have to. Everything is word of mouth, and I book at least one session a day from Monday to Friday. Last year was my first real year of business, and I claimed 22,000 profit for the year. Now, only five months into this year, Ive already passed that figure. It looks like by the end of the year, God willing, I will make a profit of roughly 40,000.<br>

So, while I'm not the breadwinner for the family, 40,000 suits me just fine since I make my own hours and love what I do. The most important thing to remember is to learn everything you can. Never stop learning. And never get discouraged because people say you can't do it. You can. If you put your mind to it and work your butt off, you can establish a lucrative business as a photographer. I've seen several photographers come and go since I've started locally, but it's simply because they did not want to learn how to make their images amazing though knowledge and passion.<br>

So, if you are passionate about it and are willing to put in lots of long hours, then go for it! You will succeed with the right kind of work ethic. Good luck!</p>