If given the choice...

<p>Hasselblad H3DII-39 and 50-110mm lens. Not in my current collection, but if I were to embark on a long journey with only one camera, this would be it. Reason: I want the best landscape images possible with a single camera and lens that my budget (assuming I don't eat and that I sleep on the ground) would allow.</p>

<p>Do I get to have power available, to recharge batteries and backup files? Am I in a rainforest? There's journeys, and there's journeys. Might take my pet D300 and a 30/1.4, or might take my mechanical Nikon F and a 50/1.8. That's the problem with hypothetical conundrums... they always lose their charm when you get down to the specifics.</p>

<p>For Matt's "no-power" situation, I too would take a Nikon F with the regular (not Photomic) prism and my 55mm f/1.2 Nikkor, although the 105mm f/2.5 would be a close runner up.</p>

<p>For powered travel, I'd take my Canon 5D with the EF 24-105mm f/4 IS.</p>

My EOS 30 with either my 50mm f/1.8 (mk 1) or my 17-40 f/4L (latter if I'm also allowed to bring my tripod).

I'm assuming I can bring as much Velvia 100 as I can carry, otherwise the camera would be a bit pointless.

Interestingly, the camera that's always in my backpack when I go about my daily life is a Miranda MS-2 Super with a Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 (loaded with Provia 400X and a collection of CC filters).

<p>I'd have to think what might be on the journey.<br>

An Olympus OM-1 as the camera always. Then either a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8, a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 or an Olympus 50mm f/1.4. It would be hard to decided between those three as an only lens for 'an adventure'.</p>

<p>i have to take the most versitile setup that I have.<br>

Cant take the D700 because I have no good all purpose lens for it with a lot of range.<br>

It have to be the d300 with the 18-200 VR DX. Limited to 1 camera and lens I feel that I could do the most with it.</p>

<p>Power? Batteries? How much can one carry? Gives one pause to think, don't it? OK. Let's assume your on the appalachian trail (or similiar journey in a jungle, desert, etc.). There will be some stops on the way to restock, small towns, etc. Remember, every ounce you carry counts. You may encounter scenes that are few days hike from the nearest power source.</p>

<p>For my own needs, the weight of whatever film I would need would be much lighter than the laptop, peripherals & accessories associated with digital.<br>

Why would you lug a laptop with you- a hand full of flash cards weights almost nothing. Do all your post processing when you get home. No different than having the film developed after you get home.</p>

<p>Konica Auto S2. Light weight, fast lens, no batteries needed (as long as you can use sunny 16, or handheld meter. Or my Canon EF with either 50mm f1.4 or 35mm f2.0, as long as you don't want to do any really long exposures, a little heavier (not much) still battery independant and fast lenses, no need to carry a flash, just whatever film you will need.</p>

<p>Pentax K10D + DA 14mm f/2.8. I don't have many Pentax lenses (yet), but a fast super-wide on an image-stabilized body is probably the best one-lens option for traveling and many photographic opportunities.</p>

<p>You have raised a very good question and I have faced that question on a number of occasions. <br>

40 years ago there would have been no indecision, because I only had one camera, a Konica auto S2 acquired in vietnam for $35 brand new. I still have it, in working condition, and I consider it a "hall of fame" camera.<br>

Last November, my wife and I flew to Vienna to embark on a 8-day cruise on the Danube, from Budapest to Passau. Initial conditions: I am 72 and have fairly severe rheumatoid arthritis. In my personal collection, I have top end choices of a Leica M6, Nikon D200, Nikon F100, Retina IIIC (big C), Canon T90 and various others in my collection.<br>

I chose a Canon Powershot A650IS for me and a Canon Powershot A620 for my wife. I put brand new lithium AA batteries in each and knew that they would last for months. No hassle in airports, no recharging of batteries on foreign electrical systems, no wearing a fireplug around my neck.<br>

Worked great! The only downside was that there were several occasions when I would have like something wider than 35mm (equiv).</p>

<p>I would shoot the only camera I own which is a D200. The lens would determine on where I am actually going and if I will be shooting in close quarters, low light or the great outdoors etc. But if I was picking the journey I would like to go to England and jouney around the Cathedrals in which case I would take my 12-24mm.</p>