If given the choice...

<p>Canon 5DMKII (which I don't own yet) w/24-70mm f/2.8. Cards and batteries to last between towns. Pre mail my self packages to those towns with more cards and charged batteries.....and mail home the expended bats and full cards. The full frame of this cam will let me crop probably to the equiv of a 200mm lens.......believe me, I didn't measure it, but I have cropped a few images from my 5D (original) drastically and they still looked good.</p>

<p>All that would still be lighter than what I used to carry (Minolta 101, 28, 50, 70-200 mm lenses, and a Mamiya C220 with 80mm lens....and tripod) back in the late '70s hiking in the Adirondak High Peaks Region for 9 days......not to mention the space 50 rolls (K25 & Panotomic X) of 35mm and 120 film took up.</p>

<p>If batteries/power are available<br /> Nikon F100 w/ 50 1.4 AFS</p>

<p>No batteries available<br /> Nikon FM3A and a 35 f/2<br /> <br /> <br /> Do I get a tripod?</p>

<p>I would take a film camera over a digital because I would rather spend my trip having fun and shooting than worrying about how I would be able to upload my photos. Not trying to bash digital here, but I don't have a netbook or other storage device so I'd be screwed if my cards filled up or if I didn't have a place to charge batteries for my digital. The F100 may require batteries, but my duracell rechargeables last way longer than my EN-EL3a betteries do.</p>

<p>1991 Canon EOS 1n w/ 35-350 "L" lens plus BPE1.<br>

I carried this rig for years as a PJ. Well balanced and lightining quick.</p>

<p>Why?<br />1. I don't do wide angle<br />2. The 35-350 is the "unknown", unheralded "<em><strong>L</strong></em>"<br />3. Film because film (PORTRA-all speeds) performs <em><strong>precisely the same</strong></em>, shot after shot, unlike digital cameras.<br />4. Because the 1991 Canon 1n is still a <em><strong>professional</strong></em> "full frame", weatherproof body.<br />5. If you drop the 1n, you've lost say... $200</p>

<p> </p>