I Got trumped by a Cell Phone

SCL

<p>I got a phonecall from my daughter (who's not into photography) a little while ago telling me to turn on my pc, she thought she had trumped my nature photos this year with her cell phone. Apparently she, her husband and my granddaughter midday were sitting out in their back yard (a heavily suburban area) and my granddaughter after going out front came back and told her mother there was a deer sleeping at the end of their driveway. So, thinking it was a practical joke, she went out front and took the attached shot (sorry moderators...not mine, but in the family). Apparently the little one had been born a couple of hours earlier somewhere else and while wandering about tired out, and decided to take a snooze while mother wandered the neighborhood. About 5 minutes later mother came for her newborn, who walked fine in grass but was still wobbly crossing pavement - and off they went. I got chided for not being there with all my high-faluting photo equipment. So now I concede...sometimes the cellphone (and opportunity) trumps everything else :)</p><div>00dJFW-556915284.jpg.1e9b6da9a3d6e684b20524e9948c2284.jpg</div>

<p>Very nice shot! It has always been the case that a lot of the time a simple camera such as a Brownie or cheap P&S can be all that is needed for a decent pic. You just need good light conditions and the right subject. And these days the simple camera can also make phone calls.:-)</p>

<p>Sorry, I find the thread title a bit misleading. This is indeed nothing new. The greatest camera gear is useless if you are not there to capture the image. And for the most part, you can give yourself more photo opportunities. In the past some people are happy to have a snapshot with a disposable film camera with a plastic lens. And in these days, some mobile phone can capture some decent images.</p>

<p>P.S. It is indeed a photo.net rule that you only post images you capture yourself. We can make some exceptions occasionally, but please observe that.</p>

<p>Shun - if you feel it is misleading or inappropriate, please feel free to delete the post. It was intended to visually reinforce the notion that being at the right place with any camera is better than missing the opportunity, and that good shots don't require expensive high end equipment. I thought an exception to the posting rule was appropriate here, just as others I've noted over the years, and specifically mentioned in the text that it was taken by a family member...but again, if it doesn't meet your parameters, please delete the posting...no offense taken.</p>

<p>Stephen, I totally agree that being at the right place at the right time with any camera is better than missing the opportunity altogether, but again, that is nothing new, and it has nothing to do with cellphone camera vs. some high-end DSLR or mirrorless. Most of us have been aware of that for decades, long before mobile phone existed.</p>

<p>That is why I find the title "I Got trumped by a Cell Phone" misleading. If I had a high-end DSLR and a phone camera, I would prefer to use a DSLR 99% of the time.</p>