How To Photograph Wine Glasses

<p>Hi Folks,<br>

There isn't a forum for product photography so, since the stemware I have to photograph is somewhat fashionable, I'll post it here.<br>

I have been asked to photograph 24 different wine glasses for an importer. I normally photograph people and have heard that shooting product is a completely different animal. I'm looking for advice regarding a setup of studio lighting from someone who has done this sort of thing. Am wondering if it makes sense to shoot on white or black and any other help you can provide. I don't want to get into purchasing a "product tent" as I have access to white materials and some acrylic. Thanks, in advance, for your help. Tony</p>

<p>Get "Science - Light & Magic" it will help you understand how light works and how to control reflections and refractions.</p>

<p>Using a tent is often not the best way to shoot reflective objects.</p>

<p>Decide if you want the glassware to be white against a dark b/g or dark against a light b/g. Then use your lights and reflectors to create the necessary light- or dark-field environment. BTW, the importer might have a preference for light or dark b/g. You will probably have to keep yourself in the dark, or use black fabric to drape the camera and you so you don't show up in the reflections.<br>

Another technique for minimizing you and the lens in the reflection is to use a long lens, and get well back from the subject. It makes your reflection smaller, and keeps you out of the spill from the subject light.<br>

Few backgrounds are truly black. You might need a piece of expensive velvet as your background or table cover if you want it totally non reflective.<br>

I suggest looking very closely at similar work in high end decorator catalogs and magazines to see what is "stylish" these days for inspiration about settings and b/gs.</p>

<p>Good luck<br>

<Chas><br /></p>

The book is "Light: Science and Magic", not "Science - Light & Magic", but anyway, I agree that it has an excellent discussion of glass photography using both light- and dark-field techniques.

"Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" by Fil Hunter, Steven Biver, and Paul Fuqua

<p>I've tried it just for practice..it's a bit of challenge not to get the lights to show in the glass...There are some tutorials on You Tube...Might try that....</p>

<p>Here is my attempt...a couple more in my port....<br>

I shot these on black glass w/black background...AB800 Camera right and pretty high...</p><div>00SoqD-118105584.jpg.57a834488a9e839fba8917595fa1cb79.jpg</div>

<p>*There isn't a forum for product photography so, since the stemware I have to photograph is somewhat fashionable, I'll post it here.*<br>

But there is a forum on lighting, and the lighting forum has a category called 'Small Product Photography'<br>

It also has a category called <a href="../photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00BjHh">Lighting Themes </a> which will help you with your question</p>