How to find a photographer who seeks an intern, assistance, and etc in NY?

benjamin_kim2

<p>Hi I'm a photography major student in NYC area. I've been studying and shooting pics for 1 years and half in school. I really felt that I need any internship or assistance for a photographer in NYC or queens area. Not just for money but also for experiences, skills, and etc. I really enjoy what I'm doing honestly. However, I can not find any informations about internship and assistance for photographers and it's too limited to search. Where and how can I find them?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Well, Benjamin, I think the <em>last</em> thing you want to do is advertise on social media because you'll get a lot of responses you definitely are not looking for.</p>

<p>One suggestion, because these guys are local to NY: New York Institute of Photography on Lexington, 800-583-1736. You can also check out their website at <a href="https://nyip.edu">https://nyip.edu</a>, and look at their FAQ forum. Granted, they'll probably try to get you to enroll in one of their on-line photography courses (because that's what they do), but they might be of some help. They've been around since the early 20th century, so they must be doing something right...</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>As time consuming as it may be, perhaps the old method will produce some results; namely a portfolio of your best work in a genre, and a personal visit to the studio of the photographers who specialize in that genre.</p>

<p>A formal internship might be difficult to find, but there are plenty of chances for being an assistant in the New York market. The key to finding them is networking. Start with the instructors at your school since they are presumably photographers themselves. See if they need assistants on their photography jobs and/or if they know other photographers who do. If you haven't already, you need to make friends with the staff at camera stores, equipment rental houses, labs, etc. Talk to them and ask who knows about assisting jobs. Some camera stores, rental houses and labs have bulletin boards with equipment for sale, assisting positions, etc.<br /><br />Keep in mind that in New York being a photographer's assistant is a job that people do for a living, not just something that people do while they're in school. Many assistants are highly competent photographers in their own right. But there are always steps down the ladder -- if you're a beginner, you can learn a lot being an assistant to an assistant.<br /><br />What an assistant does varies with their level of skill. Top assistants in New York are good enough that the photographer can say "light this scene and call me when it's ready to shoot." Others strictly carry bags and fetch coffee. Be prepared to do whatever is asked and do it with a smile. A positive attitide can be your biggest assett, more valuable in many cases that technical knowledge.<br /><br />Having a portfolio to show is a plus, but at the beginning stage you may be just providing muscle power to carry gear and do what you're told, not being asked for creative input.</p>

<p>Do a tight one page CV and send it to some photographers you would like to work with. Follow up.<br>

Your own photography doesn't really matter, as you definitely won't be shooting if you are working for an established photographer. You will have a chance to see how a working shooter makes a living, that's the point.<br>

I used to hire production assistants for the #2 commercial production house in Canada. Somedays I would have 30 or 40 people working, the next day, five. The ones who worked all the time (e.g. "the five") were positive, prompt team players." They were the ones who escaped PA work the quickest, usually around a year of 12 to 18 hour days.<br>

(We always had fun around June when all the recent film school grads would be looking to get into the camera dept. We would give them a broom and tell them after six months of that, they could carry some camera cases.)<br>

Working like that, for basically no money was the best thing I ever did for my career. You get a callous for hard work and the opportunity to see how it is all done. You also make some great friends. </p>

<p>For now, I really feel that getting works or jobs is so harsh to me that they already expect me to do professional skills and experiences and never think about hiring student who don't qualify their high expectation. Am I lazy? No, I love what I'm doing. They just expect us too much.</p>

<p>Maybe you need more experience before going out and trying to get an internship or to assist. Professional photographers need to make sure that the intern or assistant makes their lives easier, not more complicated. The more they have to train, the more they have to take their attention away from their jobs. Follow Ian's advice once you have the skills. A lot of my students have done internships in NY so a well-prepared student can find one</p>

• 1 month later...