How To Clean Prints Before Scanning

<p>I have old and recent rc prints that need to be scanned. Wipeing them with a soft cloth or blowing on them still leaves dust that shows easly when scanned. Would you please advise what you use to clean color and black and white prints prior to scanning.</p>

<p>Thank you, D</p>

<p>I don't bother cleaning mine other than spraying them with an air-compressor (from a distance). Once I get them in Photoshop I can easily remove the spots in there. Most restoration and retouchers recomend that you avoid cleaning the prints unless you are ready to live with the consequences, however you can take the print to a professional and have them remove any dirt or stains.</p>

<p>I use an anti static film/print cleaner with a damp not wet pec pad. Blot the wetted pec pad on a some printer paper and then wait a 5 or 10 few seconds before whipping. Light and smooth wipe no rubbing. Then quickly dry with a dry pec pad. As you contaminate the damp pec pads just rotate them out and substitute the pad you were using to dry. Blow with compressed air and then scan. Doing this in an assembly line fashion rather then one print at time worked for me. In the last month I have scanned 2000 plus older black and white prints (50 to 120 years old) doing this with none the worse for wear. <br /> I did destroy a modern inkjet print doing this though. <br /> Keep the scanner glass clean and use compressed air to clean every time. If the prints you have don't have glue or tape residue on them clean the glass with pec pads each time also. If contained use compressed air only between cleanings.<br /> Buy the Film/print cleaner in 32fl oz containers. Much Much cheaper that way.</p>

<p>Note that Pec 12- the substance that Aaron Dohrn may well refer to above is an <strong>emulsion cleaner . </strong> It is meant to work on negs, slides, and prints made via traditional methods on traditional papers. There are warnings on the package against using on inkjet, dye sub etc. Of course in most such cases you will already have a digital copy on your computer .</p>

<p>A couple of further points. </p>

<p>First Pec 12 works. I don't buy it in large containers though. A 4 oz spray has lasted me for years.</p>

<p>Second scanning smooth papers is pretty easy. Fibre papers have a texture and, well, <em>fibres, </em>which its all to easy to pick up even on a flatbed if you scan at high resolution. Uless you really do need a big file, just scan your print at the resolution you need to minimise the scan cleaning after. Having had to make 50MB scans from fibre originals it took me at least an hour to clean each file irrespective of the fact that I'd cleaned them beforehand. </p>

<p> </p>

• 1 year later...

<p>I am engaged in several projects involving scanning photographic prints (all hobbies). Usually, I scan at 1200 dpi, with my Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner. </p>

<p>In my experience, photographic prints typically have dust particles on them that can be moved, but are very difficult to remove. While I try to clean dust particles off of the scanner glass as well, I am under the impression these dust particles on the prints are especially difficult to remove because of a stickiness to the pigments.</p>

<p>In trying to get rid of them before scanning (instead of depending on digitally removing them after scanning), I have been trying different techniques. Upon close inspection of the resulting digital image (enlarged to actual size on my desktop computer monitor), I find it fairly easy to distinguish these dust particles that are on top of the print from the other kinds of specs; they may even create a little shadow. I am making progress, but still haven't been able to completely get rid of them.</p>

<p>The first tool that I tried is a camel hair brush for brushing the print, which turned out to be only marginally effective. I would usually discover that certain dust particles were merely moved to a different part of the print, rather than moved off the print. At the enlarged size on the monitor, I can recognize specific dust particles that have been relocated to a different part of the print.</p>

<p>Next, I purchased magnifying glasses, including a jewelers magnifying glass. I also purchased a handheld vacuum cleaner from MCM Electronics, a type of vacuum cleaner designed for cleaning things like circuit boards. While examining a print for dust particles with a magnifying glass in one hand, and vacuuming the print with the vacuum cleaner in the other hand, I often observe some dust particles being swept up from the print into the vacuum cleaner. However, other visible dust particles won't budge despite the attempt to vacuum them away.</p>

<p>So I started using a soft tool, such as a gum stimulator with a rubber tip (a dental product), to gently nudge the stuck dust particles (while looking with the magnifying glass), and then vacuuming them away. Also, after initially using an anti-static cloth only on the scanner glass, I discovered that gently brushing the print with an anti-static cloth sometimes helps.</p>

<p>But the bottom line is, I still end up seeing some stubborn dust particles when examining the resulting digital image at actual size on my computer monitor. Now that I have read this thread, I will also try the aforementioned Pec 12 emulsion cleaner (cautiously.)</p>

<p>I hope discussion about this topic continues on this thread.</p>

• 7 months later...

<p>Hey Doug, here's how I clean prints so I don't scan dust or ruin the original:</p>

<ol>

<li>Use lint-free gloves when handling prints (this will also eliminate any static).</li>

<li>Use a lint-free cloth and gently wipe prints (as others have suggested).</li>

<li>Spray a DIFFERENT lint free cloth with eye-glass cleaner, and gently wipe the scanner's glass.</li>

<li>Don't use any liquids ON the glass. Always spray the cloth. And never use any liquids on prints.</li>

<li>Don't press too hard... debris left on your print or glass may scratch the surface.</li>

<li>Don't blow on your prints. Use those tear-dropped shaped blowers (not sure what they're called, but they're used to clean baby's ears and noses... get a new one of course!)</li>

</ol>

<p>Hope that helps.<br>

<br /><p><b>Moderator: Link removed. Not allowed per photo.net Terms of Use.</b></p></p>

• 3 years later...

<p>I have some old BW photos taken by my father in 1942, but as he was fighting in the Burmese jungle at the time these have got very dirty and splattered with I don't know what as they were in his uniform until 1945. I can see by holding them up to the light that these are all on the surface. As the grime has been on the prints for 74 years I don't think it will come off easily. Soft brushing will not dislodge anything, so I would appreciate any further advice.<br>

Other sites have recommended Isopropyl Alcohol, and also demin water, but I am a bit wary considering their age. <br>

I have tried scanning them and using the clone tool in Photoshop but there is so much muck it is almost impossible.<br>

Thank you for any advice given.</p>