How many images can you take before the camera wears out?

coastallight

Expect the shutter mechanism for a consumer-grade camera such as the D80 to last approximately 75K actuations. Of course, there is merely an expectation; some D80's will last shorter and some will last much longer. And if the shutter fails, you can always get that replaced.

But most likely, the real limitation is when newer and better DSLRs are available, you don't want to use the D80 any more.

Mark,

Seems you have just joined the photo.net, welcome! Your question about shutter count answers shortly:

Nikon DSLR cameras, and perhaps most of others, they do record the number of shutter actuations in comment section (EXIF) inside picture file saved to memory card.

After you transfer photos to your computer, you can use some picture editing software to display that EXIF information. In addition to shutter actuation count there are other important data.

EXIF editor is most popular and free to download. Google for Exif, download, then install, then open with it your latets picture. You will see shutter actuation count of the camera.

Since this count is not possible to erase or alter in most cameras, that represents useful information when purchasing a used camera.

You can take 59,879 pictures with a camera. When you get to that number, a small device inside the camera - any camera - will ignite a small explosive device that makes the camera self destruct. Sometimes, camera manufacturers can also remote activate those devices when a new version of the same camera comes out so you have to buy the new one...

The D80 uses exactly the same 10MP CCD sensor as the Sony A100, Pentax K10D, and Nikon D40x. Both the Sony and Pentax are supposed to be replaced by newer models before the PMA, which will start at the end of this month (January 31, 2008). Thom Hogan also points out that apparently (again, apparently), production for the D40x has already stopped.

Therefore, I would say the days that the D80 stays as a current model are numbered. If it doesn't get replaced by the PMA, most likely it'll be before the PhotoKina in September. I have no idea whether the new model will be called the D90 and what the difference are. I would imagine that popular recent features such as live view and sensor cleaning will be added. I, for one, can certainly live without them. In other words, if you are happy with the D80, it is not at all necessary to replace it in this go around, but obviously it'll all depend on what features are added to the new models.

P.S. Those old film bodies probably don't have all that many actuations. Back then, for every roll you load into the camera, there was film and processing cost. If you shot like crazy, those costs would wipe you out. That restriction is now long gone.

The only problem is, if they call it the D90, then when they replace it, they would have to

call the next one the D100! We don't want THAT again!

So, I propose that they start giving them names that you can never run out of.

How's this... "Introducing the new Nikon RALPH digital camera!" (apologies to all named

Ralph)... then they could have the RALPHxs, then the FRANK, then the BILLY, and so on...

Hakon, I'm going to be very careful to have my camera destroyed at exposure number 59,878 so I can avoid that unpleasant experience. I could put my eye out!

It depends on how hard you drop it, and how many times; otherwise you should be able to simply replace worn components. The shutter is the most likely part to wear out (although there are others) and any part that wears out should be replaceable for another ten years or so (you could always cannibalize another D80 for parts).

The more important question might be how much would it cost and how much would you spend to replace the D80 with an even better camera in the future when it eventually fails? The bottom line is the camera should last long enough to become effectively obsolescent.

I took 6300 photos with my D80 in the year that I owned it. It never had any issues and was

going strong when I sold it. I expect my D300 to last many many years. I hope to be

shooting with it 7 years from now, at least as a second body. It's that good to me.

Opps!! I've gone over 10,000 - not 1,000. (edited original post)

Mark - I know because my file names started over from DSC_9999 to DSC_0001.

mj t - I'm in Preview (Mac) and I don't see the shutter actuation or what might tell me the total pics taken. Tools - Get info - details. Should I be looking elsewhere?

I also have Photoshop (CS3) and am looking at Bridge prefs (metadata)and don't see what I might turn on here to find the shutter count.

I have a D80 and went bananas using it the first month I had it - I took about 1000 photos. Mostly of the dogs (they don't complain!) while I was figuring it out.

So far I've had it a year and have taken around 10,000 pictures. Not all of them dog pictures. :) No probs.

I got it! INSPECTOR/ " ! " /Exif

Wow! A lot of info there! Just a problem, it says Image Number 5221 on mine BUT the file

number I'm looking now is 6897..... That's strange because I was thinking the file number

should be lower since I think I reset the file counter once (file name number).