How many actually use Live View

tri-x1

<p>I've had my D300 almost a year now and love it. However, I have never used Live View--one of the features that was really pushed in D300 advertising. Actually I used it once just to see if it worked but the procedure seemed rather Rube Goldberg to me. Maybe it's because I shot with a film SLR for so many years. But I just don't need the live view feature. In fact, I won't buy a Digital P&S that doesn't have a viewfinder as well as an LCD (and they are getting hard to find).<br>

I was just windering how many Nikon DSLR shooters use the Live View feature?</p>

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>In the few occasions when I photographed parties and weddings, live view comes in handy when I just hold the camera above everybody's head. You may find it more useful if you shoot a lot of events and news stuffs.<br>

Additionally, it is supposed to be very helpful if you shoot macro, but I haven't done much macro of late.</p>

<p>For the same reasons as other posters, I haven't used it as much either. The problem being at odd angles it's hard to get a good view of the back of the screen, unlike other DSLR's that have a pull-out/pivoting screen (with a cost of screen size) and the clunky AF system. This goes for both Canon/Nikon iterations. I'm a relative newcomer to photography, but nothing beats a precision matte or ground glass screen.</p>

<p>It's also useful (but not ideal for critical focusing) in astrophotography. Some cameras offer amplified live view for low light conditions; Sony goes a step further on their IR equipped P/S with a feature called Night Framing to compose shots in near complete darkness in Infrared. </p>

<p>Just one time to see if i could focus macro better with it using a loupe or without ( D700).</p>

<p>I can`t. </p>

<p>It would be useful if you needed to get around the 95 % viewfinder. LV is 100%. Other than that, it just eats batteries.</p>

<p>Sorry, been using slr and RF cameras for 50 years and am stuck in my ways.</p>

<p>I've used it several times, but overall it accounts for fewer than 1% of my total number of photos. However, when I need it, I'm glad it's there. Primary use is for shooting over crowds or holding the camera in awkward positions (I don't bend around as easily as I once did).</p>

<p>Have the D300 for a year and never cared to learn how to use live view. Nothing like getting tack sharp focus through the view finder and confirming with play & zoom. Not sure how this would be practical in live view. Not sure what people are talking about with having any focus issues with this camera and needing to look at it on a screen while in the capture process.</p>

<p>I've tried it a couple of times, to see if it worked as intended. I does. That's reassuring. But for my kind of photography, it's useless. IF the camera (D700) had a pivoting LCD, now, that would be a different story. But what you can shoot besides the sky or the ceiling by framing in LV with the camera above your head or down to your knees is beyond me :)</p>

<p>I use it occasionally for macro shots with my D3. Actually more and more often I use it when shooting from a tripod.</p>

<p>At work I recently replaced a D200 by a D700 set up as a microscope camera and everybody loves it. Not only useful for focusing and framing but also good for discussions. The Nikon CCP2 software could be better, and the direct use by camera to HDTV monitor could be better. Certainly the potential is not fully used by Nikon.</p>

<p>Perhaps next generation D4 and D800 will have a swivel LCD. That would make LV really a great tool and I would not need a PS camera to use that potential.</p>

<p>I don't have live view on my SLR, but have tried it on a P&S digital, and I find it useless for me personally, except in the sort of "over your head" manner already described. I would never buy a camera that didn't have a viewfinder in addition to the lcd panel on the back.</p>

<p>I wouldn't be without it for macro or product. As so many others have pointed out, the focus accuracy is so much better. But there are other advantages...</p>

<ul>

<li>It's also an amazing tool for visualizing B&W. So much better than anything we had back in the film days (when I used to alternate between a deep amber monochrome filter and a Wratten 47, because the eye adapterd to one or the other). I shoot B&W raw. The raw file contains all the information I need to try different monochrome conversions back at the shop.</li>

<li>You can also see on the liveview much better than through the viewfinder on a bellows (or coupled lenses) set to high magnifications (like 10x). Through the viewfinder, you see an array of hexagons caused by the cut pattern of the bright screen. </li>

<li>Liveview gives you 100% accurate previewing of DOF with faster lenses (espeically if you've got a small 7 or 8 inch HDMI monitor plugged into it). You can see the DOF for every aperture from f1.2 to f45 (OK, no one lens covers that range). An SLR viewfinder with a modern "bright screen" only gives you a view of the f4 DOF, even with an f1.2 lens, and is near unreadable at f11. </li>

<li>OK, off the wall, but with liveview outdoors on a reasonably bright day, you get a nice, bright view through an f160 pinhole, while the viewfinder is totally dark. </li>

</ul>