How does Firefox...

Firefox is available under Open Source Licensing. Often this means that individuals can use it for free, but businesses must pay for it. I was just reviewing the licensing of FF and there is no such provision. You might want to read this Wikipedia (another Open Source resource) article about OSL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source

It has to do with the culture of building the product. I don't know how they make money, but I would venture the following guesses:

1. Probably a lot of corporate support because not everyone is as enthralled with Internet Explorer and it's non-adherence to W3 standards as the MS team. Corporations can reuse code in their own systems.

2. Just because it may be a non-profit (I don't know this but would assume so), doesn't mean the people running it aren't making a boat-load of money. I know a lot of people in the non profit sector who make more than their for-profit counterparts.

Here's this from...

http://blog.lizardwrangler.com/2007/01/02/the-mozilla-foundation-achieving-sustainability/

Mozilla's community cultivates collaborative innovation. Developers and programmers are central, but designers, testers, users

and advocates are also key elements of the community. Over a thousand contributors generate open source code and thousands

more volunteer in other capacities. The community is governed by a virtual management team made up of unpaid experts and

employees from a range of companies, including the Mozilla Corporation, IBM and Red Hat. Leadership roles are granted based

on how active an individual is within the community as well as the quality and nature of his or her contributions. This meritocracy

is a resilient and effective way to guide our global community and create remarkable products.

In 2005 the Mozilla Foundation and Mozilla Corporation combined had revenue from all sources of $52.9M. $29.8M of this was

associated with the Foundation (both before and after the creation of the Corporation). The bulk of this revenue was related to our

search engine relationships, with the remainder coming from a combination of contributions, sales from the Mozilla store, interest

income, and other sources.

Peter