Holga Film

<p>Oh, my bad. It looks like they have not updated their website to show it. But it's in the Fall 2010 catalog, page 20. It's in 35mm and 120 format, both 400 iso. It also says "due in September-October." I am wondering who makes it.</p>

<p>B&W only. It says "The image quality, grain structure, contrast and spectral sensitivity are all perfectly suited for the surrealistic effects the Holga camera is known for." (Freestyle catalog, Fall 2010, page 20). I'm sure it's safe to say it also's got ample latitude.</p>

<p>That sounds suspiciously like the "lomography" film sold at other sites such as Urban Outfitters. The lomo film is nothing more than rebadged "normal" film that is then marked up 3 times more than what it should cost. I really hope Freestyle is not going to lower themselves to such rip off levels. You have to ask yourself, what could possibly be different about a "Holga" film from any film made my Kodak or Fuji or Ilford etc? </p>

<p>Well, the price sounds ok. If they are going to sell it, they really should give a thorough explanation of just what makes the Holga film something different / better / more appropriate than any other brand of film. Maybe it is just a move for the kids that are wanting to try "lomography" and are forever asking what kind of film to use. If it says Holga film, then they can just buy that and not have to think or ask about it.</p>

<p>If you are going to have some fun using a Holga, the brand of film doesn't matter whatsoever. Just buy whatever film you can at the cheapest price you can find. Keep in mind other costs you will have for the processing if you don't do it yourself. For colour, whatever the local stores have at a good price. For B&W, it can sometimes make sense to pay more for Ilford XP2, because any drugstore or supermarket photolab can process it cheaply the same as if it was a roll of colour snapshots you took. Get Holga or Lomography branded film only if it's cheaper, including the shipping - and it probably won't be.</p>

If quality control were to find serious issues with a run of film, then they could label it "Holga" or "lomography" rather than discard it. Good idea. A bakery could call itself the Alofa bread company to stir up more business. "On your way home, pick me up Alofa bread." Marketing is everything.
James G. Dainis

<p>Mark the 80S is good stuff I like it between 125 and 200 in Diafine but it is great at box speed 1-200 for 1 hour full stand. 1-100 was way to high contrast.</p>

<p>The 80S shot at E.I. 200 in a Rolleicord Diafine<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokerphotography/sets/72157624349424175/<br>

The Retro 200S 35mm Rodinal 1-100 1 hour stand<br>

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jokerphotography/sets/72157624154578237/</p>

<p>As a teacher I can tell you that a lot of young photo students who have never even picked up a film camera get really wigged out when you tell them there are not just <em>different speeds of film</em>, but <em>different sizes of film that fit certain cameras!</em> Could be Freestyle is just trying the make people first getting into film photography via the Holga cameras more comfortable buying the right film size.</p>

<p>Russ, good thing you brought that up about the young photographers. We're surprised that some of them gravitate towards film and prefer film over digital. <br>

Larry, thanks for bringing up your flickr link. I'm always experimenting with different films and developer combos :)<br>

Robert V., thanks for the info on the Rollei films! Leica film too? 'gad.<br>

Michael A., could it be Foma?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I just went to my local Ritz Camera store to see if they had any Fuji B&W (no, just Kodak) and they had some Dianas in 120 and 35. They also had some "LOMOGRAPHY" Branded film, 3 in a box for $14.95. The box stated made in China and the films were sealed in red paper foil. The clerk told me the first one they sold (120 Diana) the customer wanted some film for it and they did not carry any. Kinda makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it.</p>

<p>its probably available under a few names , I very low grade film but also very very cheap so very suited the holga where quality is not an issue and the beauty of the photo is purely in the artistic merits of the shooter .</p>

<p>I have never seen the holga brand film but there are other cheap films from china and if you buy enough of it you can even put your own brand on it .you can even get <em>no name</em> film</p>

<p>I used some film like that once , truly horrid stuff but at a dollar a roll it would be great for some</p>