hi looking for sophisticated users of image/photo organisers/viewers that could recommend the best s

hi looking for sophisticated users of image/photo organisers/viewers that could recommend the best software to us

need a software that can do, at least, these:

- when you open the software, it would show all the images/folders that are contained within the main folder

- shows the image previews on the folder itself (so you can see what's inside)

macos or win10 (i used both)

thank you if you know

If the only requirement is browsing folders with images, for Windows FastStone Image Viewer does this just fine and it's free. If you want to work more to catalog images (keywords etc.), PhotoSupreme is worth considering, but it's more a tool for organising rather than browsing (and it's not free).

If it's just for browsing images, Lightroom is a bit overkill. If you also want to edit images, LR is certainly an option, though there are more options, so it could be worth giving a bit more detail on your expectations.

Just to be sure: there is no "best" option. It completely depends on what you need, what you want to spend and what kind of user interface you like working with, how much time you're willing to invest in learning a tool, etc. etc. So ultimately, it may very well be worth downloading multiple tools and try for yourself what works for you.

• Like 1

Just to be sure: there is no "best" option. It completely depends on what you need, what you want to spend and what kind of user interface you like working with, how much time you're willing to invest in learning a tool, etc.

So true it bears repeating.

I personally use Bridge and Photoshop together, and it works for me, not least because it replicated in digital what I had been doing the real world with slides, etc.

If I were starting from scratch, I might have gone in a more unified database sort of process.

• Like 2

1. does anyone have experience with either of these:

- xnview

- nomacs

and know if they fit the needs mentioned in OP? (was confusing to use)

also hard to know what they can do since there isnt a plant list that shows all the most helpful functions/features (which would be helpful if all softwares had this plain list)

2. for macos, what has the needs mentioned in OP?

faststone is the only one that i know of that fits the needs mentioned

3. could anyone confirm (based on their experience ofc) the other suggestions made that they do meet the needs? thanks

I just pulled the trigger on an iPad Pro 10.5.

I have a fast gamer PC that I built for photo/video editing but wanted a nice tablet to use with the digital stuff.

Best I can tell, the IPad is cracking the barrier now on processing a bit.

So far this looks promising:

He gets into several options on software about midway....

Adobe Bridge can be downloaded seperately at no cost, so, yes it's free: Adobe Creative Cloud

That said, if you're on Windows, and it's for browsing/viewing only, Bridge does nothing that FastStone doesn't do as well. IrfanView and XnView are two other alternatives, but I'm not 100% sure these will display icons on folders for the image contained in that folder. Both are free, small, downloads, so it's easy and quick to try.

By the way, if you find something confusing to use, why bother with it? Software for something as simple as browsing and viewing images (we're really talking bare basics here) should be self-explanatory, else it's not worth your time. Editors and DAM tools are more complex and will have learning curves, but something this simply shouldn't. So, it really is about what works for you, and if it doesn't, it doesn't. No matter what any of us thinks.

• Like 1

Now that the IPad Pro is coming I'm taking a serious look at this.....

Affinity Photo - Professional image editing software

I just bought an iPad Pro 10.5 for business use so most of the apps that I use are productivity and business-related software. I have an Adobe CC subscription that iuse on Windows desktop for photo editing, but it would be nice to have a powerful photo editing tool on my iPad Pro.