Hewes or Tundra Reels?

<p>I don't know the Tundra brand either, but that's way too much for a reel. In fact, $20 is too much in my book. I have good reals and okay reels, and the only difference I can tell is the good ones "feel" better. They also load film with a little less hanging up, but if you're experienced enough loading film, that won't make too much difference. I'd opt for the $6 reels (or whatever they are these days). Oh, and I'd put my money on good tanks that are well finished, seal tightly, and have the little prong welded to the stainless steel cap.</p>

<p>I don't know. I've got to disagree with Michael about the really cheap reels. It's a crap shoot. Sometimes they're ok, sometimes not. I once bought a brand new set of 4 that cost $8 each. They were not worth the money since not one of them loaded properly. Traded them in for the Hewes reels and never looked back.</p>

<p>Chinese stainless reels are useless. The old name brand ones like Nikor, Omega, etc., are fine, if not abused.<br>

That's a great price for the Hewes reels, they are very rugged, unlikely to be damaged if dropped, and very precisely made. Only down side is that you can't stack two in a Q15 Nikor tank, just a bit too tall.</p>

<p>Strong recommendation to avoid the cheap generic 35mm stainless reels. Best way to discourage a beginner from the darkroom is to give 'em one of those pieces of junk. The medium format size junk reels aren't quite as bad, but still can't touch the ease of use of a Hewes or comparable reel.</p>

<p>These don't have to be expensive. Look for deals on older used gear. During the 1960s-early '70s the Nikor tanks and reels (not Nikkor, as in lenses, but Nikor, which was also distributed by Honeywell in the U.S.) were very popular and every bit the equal to Hewes. I have both and they are identical in quality. But a complete Nikor double tank and reel medium format kit, including the reel hanger, was five bucks at a camera show several years ago - and that was before the prices of darkroom gear really dropped.</p>

<p>Even if you can't find a Hewes or comparable quality reel at a bargain price they're still an excellent value because they're well made instruments that will enhance your enjoyment of the darkroom.</p>

<p>There was an assumption made about you being a beginner. I didn't read that into your post, but if that's the case, then yes, the better reels are easier to load. I do so much processing that I can load film onto any old or bent up reel, so it doesn't matter to me whether they are cheap or expensive, I guess.</p>

<p>When it comes to photography and wet processing, I learned the hard way numerous times, and that is:</p>

<p>DON'T BUY JUNK</p>

<p>You'll end up spending more money in the short and long run replacing it.</p>

<p>I'd say buy the Kindermann (I have them), but they're not made any more. Hewes is just as good if not better. Buy them. You won't be sorry.</p>

<p>I recently bought a 'cheap' Chinese 120 reel at the local camera store, and when I got home, I discovered that the reel was visibly and noticeably bent. The reel appeared as if something heavy had been dropped on the reel during shipping - but there was no damage to the box.</p>

<p>I returned the reel to the store (about a 20 mile drive) to exchange it. When I looked at the other reels they had in stock, each and every one of them was bent. Some were also noticeably bent; on other reels, the damage wasn't quite as noticeable.</p>

<p>The boxes for these were also in good condition, so the damage didn't happen during shipping - the manufacturer just packed up defective reels and shipped them out. I ended up using my old plastic reels.</p>