Help - I just bought a 4X5 from eBay

hjoseph7

<p>When I saw that camera on eBay I was struck by two things: the magenta locking knobs (!), and. the lack of tripod mount. Hopefully the seller has the tripod mount, otherwise you will need to scrounge around for one. Heck, if the thing had a tripod mount I might have bid on it (as I still have a lens on a Cambo board and would like to get back to playing with a rail camera.)</p>

<p>Also, I am surprised that you don't know what "type" of camera you bought! Did you do any research on "Cambo" before you bid? Since you only paid $120 it is hardly a big deal, and if you persevere you will be able to make wonderful images. Do you have any lenses?</p>

<p>"Also, I am surprised that you don't know what "type" of camera you bought! "<br>

I took a Large Format Photography class a couple of years ago. The school provided us with a Calumet camera which was very heavy by the way, so I'm sort of familiar with the Cambo brand. No, I don't have a lens or a tripod mount right now, but I do have a heavy-duty Gitzo Tripod and plenty of cut-film holders that has been collecting dust for the past few years.<br>

I wanted to get into LF for a while now, but my Besseler 23C enlarger could only handle 6X7" film Max. In about a week, I will be moving to a new area. Across the street there is a community center with 8 4X5 enlargers in their darkroom. That's why I decided to look into an LF camera. I'm not completlety nuts !<br>

I found the nobs a little strange but personalized, like you said. I think this camera might belong to the SC series, but I was hoping a PN/Large Format "expert" could help me out on this. I bid on it on friday evening, but went to sleep on it until I decided to login yesterday and found out I won.</p>

<p> </p>

<p> </p>

<p>It is the SC. I just didn't mentioned because Bruce gave you the Cambo's homeside so I figured that you allready find it out by yourself. However never have seen one with an orange knobs. :-) Don't worry about that it's gonna work as any other color for that matter! :-) It's a good bargain price too and that darkroom? It's probobly going to be your next home. :-)</p>

<p>Harry, there is a very good site for beginners in LF photography here :<br>

<a href="http://www.largeformatphotography.info/">http://www.largeformatphotography.info/</a></p>

<p>LF is rather a different world to all other forms of photography you are likely to have met with before. Though using the latest film and the fnest lenses the picture takng process would be readly recognisable to a photographer from 100 years ago so tere is a lot to learn.<br>

Good luck and have fun!</p>

<p>Keep searching ebay. I've seen tripod mounting blocks every once in a blue moon.</p>

<p>Re lenses: the 150 would be a good choice. A 135 might be just as good for a "normal" lens. The 210 is a good choice for a moderate "telephoto". I use 135 much more than 210 so my advise would be get the normal FL first if you are getting only one at this time.</p>

<p>Divide the lens length by 3 and you will have an approximation of 35mm equivalent. Neither lens is wide if you like panorama landscapes. I started with a 210 and found it a little narrow for landscape shots, but I always liked taking pictures of details so I was happy. I also have a 90mm now for those wider shots. Like previous messages always say; what type of photo do you prefer to take and choose a lens that's suitable for your taste.</p>

<p>Harry, your camera is an older version of the Cambo 45SC which is imported, rebranded, and sold in the US by Calumet. It takes all of the accessories as the current Cambo 4x5 45SC and many of these are constantly sold on eBay as well as by used camera dealers all over the country. It is a very versitile camera and will provide you with an excellent platform upon which to learn LF photography.<br>

It does appear to be missing its tripod mounting block; be sure to ask the seller for it; if he does not have one, then you will have to buy one from Calumet/Cambo or have your favorite machinest make a clamp on block with one or more 1/4 x 20 holes tapped into its bottom; this wouldn't be a big project for a good machinest, the most difficult part being to make it clamp to the rail in whatever location is needed.</p>

<p>You will, of course, need accessories to go with it to get started: at the least, you will need one or two 4x5 sheet film holders and some film, a lens and shutter(I'd start with something of around 150 to 160mm for normal shooting, adding wide and long lenses later as needed), a tripod sturdy enough to hold the camers, a double-thickness black cloth about 30" to 36" square to exclude light from the ground glass when focusing and composing, and some means of estimating the exposure (many us hand-held meters for this or you can use any small camera with a meter built in to get started). A good book on the use of a view camera would probably save you alot of time.</p>

<p>Good luck, and have fun!</p>

<p>All I'm missing right now is a black cloth and a lens and of course the tripod mounting block. I tried contacting the seller yesterday but I got no response. Might be something wrong with my ebay account ever since I changed my email address. I might go all out for the lens since that is the most important part.<br>

Hopefully I can find a tripod mounting block on eBay, or maybe my old school might have one handy lying around somewhere, I'll have to call them. The thing I like about the large format is the perspective control.<br>

No PC lens can give you that control. I have a very very old PC lens made by Nikon and it's a PITA to operate. Also you only get 11mm lift if you hold the camera horizontally 11mm swing if you hold it vertically. Of course there is photoshop and their perspective tool, but beleive me I winded pulling my hair out when trying to use this tool. Things just didn't look right. </p>

<p>You best call Calumet first and see how and where you can get the mounting block. Regardless of how good a lens you buy the camera is not going to perform properly without an adequate solution to your mounting problem. And it is a major problem - not something to be done later. You would call Calumet since they and Cambo have common ownership and they are the Cambo distributor.</p>

<p>I agree with Bob about the mounting block. If you can't find one elsewhere. The mounting block could be as important as the camera, itself. There has to be someway to securely mount the camera to the tripod. The camera has to be tripod mounted,. And, you don't want to use an inferior solution, that could cause the camera to be damaged. Call KEH and Adorama, they might have one in their used camera dept. Also, Calumet might have one used.</p>

<p>I'd also check with Jim at Midwest, see if they have a tripod block lying around, or KEH as others have recommended, look in their "as is" section or whatever is called, maybe there is a cambo/calumet that has suffered a catastrophe selling for parts. Otherwise you might get a second one as cheap as a new tripod block. Also troll ebay, search the ebay stores, some large format sellers like Columbus etc. Would be a shame to pay $130 for a new one for a cheap camera.</p>

<p>I have found you have to ask a lot of questions for folks selling LF on ebay, often they (claim anyway) to know nothing of large format, "selling my grandpa's stuff". For instance, this arca swiss camera (item 110319471142) on ebay, I was looking at in early Dec. I noticed in the pics didnt appear to have a ground glass/graflok back! The polaroid back is worth next to nothing IMO. I questioned the seller, first he said "yes I have it" then said "no I don't" Which is not a problem, however, he did not revise his description! I just checked his feedback, and it appears the person who bought this camera has not left feedback, and lo and behold the seller has neutral and negative ratings. Also, I think it's BS to include pics of items in an ebay ad that aren't included, this particular one had a lens shown but said "not included" which is clear but not honest in my opinion. Harry good luck in finding this part, if I find one in my searches I will let you know. Tom</p>

<p>Harry,<br>

Words to the wise!<br>

Do your self a favor and sell the camera (even at a loss) or just throw it away. Instead purchase a light weight field camera like a Chamonix 45N-1 for about $850. By doing so you will save yourself endless amounts of frustration and if you don't like LF or the camera you can sell it and get your money out.</p>

<p>Listen, a tripod mounting block could be very easy to fix if you design it yourself (make it simple) And than you go to your local school and find those teachers who take care of educations for mechanics or so.<br>

We have those here for training future CNC operators, millers, turners and welders. They helped me out many times and for a cake or coffe. You just got to know how to cry right. :-) After many years they just smiling when I show up.<br>

By the way it should be of two pieces (two halfs) four nuts and made out of aluminium. That would serve you well.</p>