Have we arrived?

Not Here

So, is this it, the brave new photo experience that's suppose to wow and bring in new subscribers by the boat loads? All this change for a little better graphics and minimizing most of our other controls? Well, photo views are down, photo comments are down, photos submitted for critique are running about 6 to 8 images a day, yep a day, and this forum, site help, has gone stagnant with many of the bug issues unresolved.

So, is this it? The take it or leave it attitude seems to be working, at least for the leaving part.... Mike

• Like 5

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Mike, I think that many of our suggestions (and complaints) are not being taken very seriously. I have no idea what lies behind the organizational dynamics at work here. As with all things commercial, there is supply and demand, and right now I don't see a lot of demand for the product that Photo.net is currently offering. If one speaks out, one is instantly branded as being disrespectful by persons who do not even know the history of this ongoing "transition" (which goes back quite a few years).

To use a term from higher education, there is an interesting "retention" strategy at work here.

Like Sanford, I first wandered onto the site in 1999, but I did not join until 2001. I would think that someone would take the opinions of experienced members seriously, but then I have been surprised over and over for so long that nothing much surprises me anymore.

--Lannie

• Like 1

We have been responding, saying that we have not responded is inaccurate. But there is really nothing to respond to here. What I see is that you are voicing opinions, no bugs, no criticism that we can use to improve the site. I'm sorry you are unhappy. We're working through our lists and releasing more updates daily.
  • Like 1

no criticism that we can use to improve the site

Glenn: Your coordination efforts with the design team, whatever that relationship is, is appreciated. Communication to the users is somewhat lacking, not being emotional, just stating an observation. I don't think saying the same old concerns over and over is positive direction, we should only have to voice a concern (opinion) once and either it fits in the scheme of the new programming, or it doesn't. It would be nice to know.

All of my comments have been made before but still outstanding are:

• Tracking comments - The addition of "Your Activity" was a step forward but any user will tell you that it only goes half way. I shouldn't have to rely on my email alerts to track comments and insure that one is not missed, but that is what I'm having to do now. The programmers seem to have sorted all comments on each image chronologically, but new comments can be buried within the image portfolio and impossible to find. All images with new comments should rise to the top of the page as well. A conditional sort can't be that hard to program on each image.
  • What can I say that hasn't been said on other threads, the "back" button is an adventure. I can scroll down pages of new critiques but if I hit that sucker, yep, I have to go back to page one and start over. I have, literally, never seen a web page that behaves like that. (Thanks for the "return to top of page" button though, it helps.)
  • Sorting albums - Albums need the same sorting capability as the main Portfolio; or, if it's left to do manually, then it should be just that, manual, not random as it is now. Album location and sorting should match between My Portfolio and My Profile. Presently they do not.

"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being" - Plato. Or, as we say in the South, "Shake a leg" and get moving, the waiting around for the final product is maddening.... Mike

Edited by Not Here

have to go back to page one and start over

Glenn: Ok, let me clarify the reference. It seems changes have occurred, the back button takes you back to the top of the same page previously viewed. I can live with that. See! All Users aren't unreasonable ;-)... Mike

I can't. The most logical answer would be to have the clicked on thumbnail open in a new page, if that is possible.

I'm not sure we're living (or not) with the same thing. I was just talking about perusing the Critique images, opening one of interest and then hitting the back button. Initially this version would return to the top of the first page; now it returns to the top of the page that contains the viewed image, which really isn't so bad. Then it's possible to continue viewing photos without losing your place... Mike

I've learned a long time ago to set my browser to use tabs and I have my mouse (still the most efficiently way to use a computer) set that when I click the scroll button, it opens to a new tab with the link, then to get back to the original page, I just close the tab. Best way I find to avoid back that does not go back to where you were.

set my browser to use tabs

Great idea! I guess I've been too focused on trying to make PN work as it should. Your method will work on my desktop but I guess I'm still out of luck when using my iPad for casual viewing. A shame we have to use a work-around. Thanks... Mike

The right click new tab doesn't work on gallery or portfolio photos on a Mac.

In Win10 using Microsoft Edge (I haven't tried the other browsers) on my desktop the right click works in Gallery and Portfolio but not in Critique. I've never encountered a platform this sensitive and quirky... Mike

Now that I've spent some time on the new PN site design I've noticed I don't have the normal anticipation to see what's new feeling here that I attributed to a PN addiction. I had to analyze within myself what it was that changed my feelings about this site after the transition and I've narrowed it down to having to read forum comments in a san-serif font. It's a real downer for me.

I'm getting more tired from focusing on reading this san-serif type for some reason. I used to be a calligrapher as a hobby using speedball pen nibs and india ink back in my teens which made me appreciate the emotional aspects of font design. It was a change to this site's font design that awakened me to this realization.

I hope the PN elves can find it in in their heart to return to a more pleasantly readable serif styled font that was like reading a novel in the old design. Fonts have a voice and convey an emotion just like a character in a movie and the old serif font was like a friend speaking to me where as the current san-serif font feels cold and emotionless. I know I'm spending less time here for some reason.

There has been a myth going around for years that sans serif typefaces are easier to read than serif faces on computer screens. This was true 30 years ago, but with the improvements in screen size and resolution, it is no longer true. C. Wheildon, among others, has proved this by scientific studies. Wheildon tested people by having them read the same news stories, one in serif, the other in sans serif. Then he tested them on content retention, not on their perception of appearance. Serif typefaces won.

Size also matters, and the default type on PN is not only grey, it is too small.

Personally, I like Minion Pro, but often a Web designer must play it safe and pick a font that he or she knows everyone has on their computer, or at least program his CSS pages to have alternate fonts listed that are on everyone's device.

Another problem on PN is the colour of the words. The fashion these days is for grey type on white backgrounds. This has never been the norm. For 500 years we have been used to black or brown type on white, off-white or cream paper. Most books are on off-white paper. Sometimes pure black on stark white can be uncomfortable but that can be avoided by using off-white backgrounds or very dark grey type.

The last time Apple gave its user site a makeover, they fell into the same trap. Everything was pale blue and pale grey, there was no longer sufficient contrast between foreground and background. It was difficult and tiresome to read.

The new page theme for PN is based on the current trend: light steely grey, light blue, with orange accents.

I also find that this site is tedious, having to constantly login and be redirected to the wrong page. No other forum I use does that. There is this cavalier attitude that the users are at fault complaining about all the shortcomings, something I don't appreciate at all. As I've mentioned before, I don't use much of the site because of the difficulties, but even the little I use is a pain.

From a visually ergonomic design standpoint sans serif type projects a constant and repeating pattern of nondescript vertical, diagonal and horizontal strokes that impede quick distinguishing between each character.

Serifs create more distinction by breaking up this repeating pattern with an end cap on each stroke. For instance the letter 'm' at first glance appears like 3 down strokes where the humps are barely distinguishable. If there was an end cap foot on the bottom of the first and last down stoke it would provide contrast to the softer humps on top especially if the text is small.

This site on font design and identification shows there is a lot of ergonomic design principles applied in maintaining a balance between style and readability...

http://www.identifont.com/identify?6+.+3Z+1T+1R0+42+A0

I also wish the gray forum thread surround was a bit darker for better framing of the white field. As it is now the light surrounding gray reads at a Lab Luminance of 96 which is the measured white patch of the Xrite Color Checker Chart.