Hassy 2000FCM CLA - WHO?

robert_ante

I bought my 2000FCM new in 1981-82 from Ken Hansen. The camera still functions perfectly, and I would like to keep it that way. Camera is way overdue for a CLA service, but I have not heard of anyone who currently handles them. My regular camera man has worked successfully on some quirky cameras, but refuses to touch my Hassy 2000FCM. So I appeal to Photo.net. Does anybody know of anyone who services these cameras? I am afraid if not properly serviced, it will indeed at some point become a very beautiful doorstop.

The focal plane shutter 'blads are kind of a binary proposition at this point: they either function perfectly, or you move on. Finding someone willing to work on them today can be difficult (even David Odess won't accept them). Even in Hasselblads heyday, technicians grumbled and snarled if you brought them a 2000 model. And heaven help you if you were one of the 16 people who actually sold their child to buy the ludicrously expensive 200 series with built-in meter: if you proffered one of those to a tech, he'd blanch and run as if he were Dracula and you were holding up a cross.

As the original owner, you have the advantage of knowing exactly how this 2000FC felt and operated when brand new. Does it still feel more or less the same? No noticeable or significant problems? Then it will probably remain that way. When problems occur with the 2000 series, its almost always due to past or recent operator clumsiness or abuse (most commonly, putting their hand thru the shutter or breaking the battery tray). Otherwise, a well-cared-for 2000FC probably has less potential for age-related breakdowns than the revered 500 series. Two common failure points in the 500 body are the barn doors and the foam pads that position the mirror in its tray: your 2000FC has neither, since it uses the improved larger Gliding Mirror design and its focal plane shutter replaces the klutzy barn doors assembly.

IOW, if it ain't broke don't worry about fixing it. Perhaps set aside some money to purchase a backup 2000FC body as "just in case" insurance: this would be far less expensive than the service fees to repair your existing 2000FC in the unlikely event it ever fails (and you actually could find a repair tech who'd agree to touch it).