Hasselblad new camera concept (squadre!)

diegobuono

Hasselblad unveiled a very

interesting (in my opinion) concept

study for a new camera body with a

square sensor.

http://www.hasselblad.com/inspirati

on/4116-2/v1d-4116-concept

It is shown under they section

"4116" that celebrate the 75 Yeats

of the company. It is a coincidente

that the sensor is 75 mpixel? Let's

hope they do not wait 5 years to

release it, the wait would not be

worth the gain of 5 mpix ;-)

Joke aside I find it very

interesting, probably is really

just a concept but if this is the

case why declare its sensor is 75

mpix (probably a crop out from the

actual 100 mpix CMOS sensor)?

Except they deliberately want to

joke about the anniversary? But if this

was the case I suppose they would

enphatize this, both in the name

and in the announcement.

I for sure would prefer a sensor

bigger than 4 x 4 cm, nevertheless

I like that concept very much.

<p>I doubt the sensor would be bigger than 4x4. My guess it's the same 50mp sensor they're currently using with added area of a square. That would give it 75mp. That would also allow them to use their current lenses.</p>

<p>It's an interesting concept, but it would be a lot more interesting as a 6x6</p>

<p>Diego, I fixed the break in your link:<br>

<a href="http://www.hasselblad.com/inspiration/4116-2/v1d-4116-concept">http://www.hasselblad.com/inspiration/4116-2/v1d-4116-concept</a></p>

<p>Interesting concept.</p>

<p>It is definitely not a 6x6 camera, as it is pictured with a standard 645 format H-mount XCD 45mm f/3.5 lens.</p>

<p>Despite its boxy shape, it is also definitely not an SLR. It is mirrorless: the top is shown with a replica of the rear LCD screen; this electronic screen is what you view the image on with the "EVF" prism or "WLF" finder.</p>

<p>As to the 75MP sensor, it stands to reason that if you cut a square from their 4:3 aspect ratio 100MP CMOS sensor, you get 75MP with 40 x 40 mm.<br>

This is only marginally bigger than the square 16MP CCD backs of old (just under 37 x 37 mm), but of course it will have much higher resolution and much better high ISO & long exposure performance.</p>

<p>I'm a big fan of the square format (I shoot one of the aforementioned old 16MP backs on my Mamiya 645AFD). But with all Hasselblad digital or digital-compatible cameras in the past 15 years, the need for dedicated leaf shutter lenses is a total no-no for me. The depiction of a H-series leaf shutter lens on this concept body is a very bad sign that it doesn't have a focal plane shutter...</p>

It is basically an x1d with a form factor similar to the classic V, so the top screen is for framing with focusing performed automatically as in

the x1d. This would easily allow waist level shooting, which I think is a great idea. But I suppose an adjustable finder similar to that

proposed by the Fuji medium format camera (with adapter) would also be practical alternative. Much of the volume of the box is not

needed, and would be empty? Lots of room for a big battery, though. A box would provide a nice platform to attach a flash and grip.

Regarding the comments about the shutter; As we all know, the leaf shutter allows flash sync at all shutter speeds, and exhibits very low

vibration. There also is no rolling effect in fast moving objects as for a focal plane shutter. IMHO, a leaf shutter is much more desirable

than a focal plane shutter. I think the concept is very interesting, and would like to see it brought into production. Hasselblad has its

mojo back. And the pricing is inviting for serious amateurs.

<blockquote>

<p>And since it is pictured with a H system lens, I doubt and adapter for V system lenses will ever exist.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Lubos, I imagine that <a href="https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/362313-REG/Hasselblad_3043500_CF_Lens_Adapter_for.html">the V (CF)-to-H lens adapter</a> for their H series of 645 cameras would also work on this; I think the body just needs a standard PC flash port. However, it's a $1650 gizmo. </p>