Hasselblad 70mm Magazine Film Questions...

ken_wayne1

<p>Hello, was doing a bit of research here on what people are doing these days to be able to use the Hasselblad 70mm film magazines and the newest thread of discussion I could find on the matter is 6 years old.</p>

<p>What are some of you guys doing in 2011 to use the Hasselblad 70mm film magazines?</p>

<p>I thought a fresh thread on the subject might be beneficial to some people out there who would like to use these magazines. They are so utterly inexpensive these days it seems a waste that they should not be used.</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>I spoke with Kodak about two months ago. They do not offer any film in 70mm with type II perfs. They do have 70mm non-perf film. You might be able to get it on special order but they had a 36 roll (100') minum order. Call Kodak at 800-242-2424.<br>

A 70mm back can be converted to use 70mm non-perf film. I bought a $15 'mod kit' off of ebay about 5 years ago to do the conversion but I have never installed it so I can't say how well it works or not.<br>

You will get 70 frames on a 15' load of 70mm film. I shot a lot of 70mm TRI-X and would buy more if I could get it in three 100" roll lots. 36 rolls is more that I could use in 20 years.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>70mm non-perf film.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Back in the day I used to go through a 100' roll of this per day using a twin-lens Camerz Classic -- a behemoth Mack truck of a camera. I was shooting high school and college senior portraits in "long roll" 6x7. If you graduated from high school in the US during the 1970s or 1980s there's a good chance your yearbook photo was made on one of these, or something similar.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>I'm using one now, loaded with outdated TRI-X. I continue to scout for anything 70mm: cams, mags and processing equipment. I have a few spirals for bulk rolls and shorter. Jobo don't make them any more, but there is a Canadian manufacturer of plastic spirals, and Hewes in the UK make stainless steel. Patterson 120/220 reels can be utilised to develop test strips up to 220 length. It's easy. There's a couple of cans of 70mm Fuji E6 duplicating film, which I may well just use for experimentation > cross processing etc. Precious is a 500 foot roll of Agfa B&W Aerographic film. Precious because there's enough to test and establish an optimum developing schedule, then load cans for a decent size batch of work.<br>

<a href="http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-infrared-400br70mm-305m-p-428.html?osCsid=6988b9307d7e6f2d8a6084c7f592c125">Rollei Infrared 400 70mm</a> can be used either as infrared with the appropriate IR filters, or as pan film with filters normally employed in B&W work.<br>

Forget about using Cine film. The perforations are not the same, because they are set further in to allow for the sound track each side. In fact, the negative film stock is 65mm wide, and the positive is 70mm, but with the cine projector perforations mentioned, in a format known in the industry as "Todd AO".<br>

Very rare is 70mm cinema stock with the Type II perf. There is one cinema in Asia (China from memory - could be wrong) that is equipped for that format. But still don't pin hopes on anything, because the emulsions use in cinema stock are totally different, and only very few commercial cinema labs run 70mm. A bit like the now historic Kodachrome story. But a few cinematographers are shooting in 70mm.<br>

Buying bulk and running off into 70mm cartridges for Hasselblad etc is best done with gadgets set up for the task. Buying used 70mm cartridges is not fail safe, because the cartridges are not intended for indefinite use. They can eventually develop light leaks, and cause heart breaking scratching if not kept meticulously free of grit.<br>

That said, I really enjoy using mine. I have 70mm backs for Hasselblad and Linhof.<br>

Presently unpacking everything to set up the new studio in Thailand.</p>

<div>00YHyS-335425584.jpg.f5b188e3d8abbb779c24a9555b38f5a3.jpg</div>

<p>And here I show the Todd AO 70mm cinema format (printed from 65mm neg) against the Type II camera film for Hasselblad, Linhof etc., just so you can eliminate one improvisation speculation.<br /> The best shot is to go for the Rollie IR. You can get it fresh, and worry about other things.</p><div>00YHyy-335431584.jpg.f9ed2e1b56a0786c4f4af7b1a2b85e57.jpg</div>

<p>Years ago (1979?) I took a 220 SS reel and cut it in half. I then inserted a wood dowl and spaced the ends to make a 70mm reel for 220 lengths. I just glued the dowel in place using epoxy. It is still going strong.<br>

I really would like to find some 400 speed normal B&W pan film in 70mm so I can use my 70mm backs again.</p>

<p>I have a 70mm 6x7 Mamiya back for my Cambo 23SF 6x9 view camera as well.</p>

<p>Anthony,<br>

<a href="http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product_tests/infrared_film_003.php">ROLLEI IR400 test for use as standard 400 ISO/ASA film.</a><br>

Digital Truth stock the 35mm, so may well order the 70mm for you.<br>

<a href="http://www.macodirect.de/index.php?language=en&osCsid=08eda6beb9aecdfee27c123bdddbd22a">Macodirect.de</a> are the source.<br>

See all the formats available on <a href="http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-infrared-c-1_6_56_140.html">this page.</a></p>

<h3></h3>

• 8 years later...

When Ilford does their Ultra Large Format (ULF) order every year in April / May - you can generally order 70mm Type-2 perforated film.

From their recent ULF offerings: (

ULF )

ITEM NUMBER / PRODUCT DESCRIPTION / BASE TYPE / SIZE / NUMBER OF SHEETS

1174810 / HP5+ / ROLL / 70mm x 50ft UNPERFORATED EI / Roll ####

1174821 / HP5+ / ROLL / 70mm x 50ft DOUBLE PERFORATED EI / Roll ####

#### Orders must be combined to be minimum and multiples of 15

ilford-ulf-70mm.thumb.png.a96ba21d00e1f761aa5045b6575fd867.png

ilford-ulf-70mm.thumb.png.a96ba21d00e1f761aa5045b6575fd867.png

• 2 months later...

Nobody will order 15 x 200 usd(maybe costs even more exorbitant price) or more 3000 usd worth of 70mm. Ferrania announced their P50 in 70mm i have read. But one needs a long breath-i think years from now-till its available.

2. Mamyia RB 67/70 can be transformed into a 70/120(also 220 or longer 61.5mm-film) back. vermeercameras did it i have instructions ahnd have this back. Only 120 on donor-left-side. Mercury works can deliver 3dprinted 70-120-spool. and i have ideas to add shim on Kodak and Linhof (thicker)70mm-reels. Holgamods is under the candidates for 3dprinting for the usa. I already made a working mockup but have no time now realizing. maybe we will do(for europe only) through a 3d-printing-service like shapeways.

Mamiya RB 67/70 back can hold 54 or up to 65 images(counter goes to 65). if longer when using thinner films. 0.1mm (Vericolor HC-6.5m or 0.06mm(PEO by agfa). VEricolor : 77 images. I have this back twice where in one counter is nonworking. if counter is working and one wants to shoot with thinner film getting more than 65 images one must reset the counter by removing the back. if no darkbad or room availabel itwould be wise not to shoot til 65 but move film to 65.maybe shooting til 63 advance til the end-65 and then remove the insert quickly to reset counter.

I didnt yet test this. one more advice when ending 70mm film. always leave then end-tongue outside otherwise lightleaking open slit.

I only used the 6.5m method in roundshot.

Hasselblad Unperforated ebay-kit would be nice. i know of a workaround by removing the cogs on the wheel ands adding something used in dental-industry. onl dont know its englisch and german word. google. cogwheel is not for transporting but counting the right spacing.

the mentioned 100-200 back nokton24 bought from ebay was nonworking. see rangefinderforum. 70mm films will never be death. Nato/Otan has their hands over Agfa-Gevaert Belgium. There are still lot of aerial-cams for 70mm films around. US-Military beside Maco bought remains of Agfa Avicolor X400 film(nonmasked film). colorbase 120/could be an underexpose X100. Maco has 366 m rolls of cut to 61.5mm film X-400. if only they could provide and sell us 30.5mm pieces. 366m= 12 x 30,5m. then we could make 220 or longroll-61.5mm.

• 4 months later...

I can see that Kodak sells 65mm perforated Vision3 film. You can buy it in Daylight or

Tungsten in a variety of ASA speeds. Cans come in 400ft and 1000ft lengths..You’ll have to buy it in bulk of course, but maybe you have a friend who is a cinematographer and has access to a few short ends.

Can that film be used in Magazine 70? Assume that loading the film into cartridges can be done or if one had the 100-200 version of the Magazine 70 that uses spools that can be loaded in the dark. My question is only about the width of the 65mm film which is somewhat wider than the backing paper of 120 film (62mm) - can Magazine 70 handle that width?

If Magazine 70 can handle the width of 65mm film then it’s worth getting. Otherwise I’ll think of how to slice the film down to fit into regular 120 spools and use them in Magazine 12 / A12 / A24.

Well the film is harder and harder to come by. I do have a big stash of perforated fuji cdu 30,5m rolls which give excellent results both in e6 and c41 processes in EU if anyone would like to trade for some other 70mm film. I also have a few brand new boxed never used 70mm mamiya RB backs that I am willing to trade for 70mm film too. You can always PM me for more info.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some great news guys. I was able to find a cheaper source of rollei 400 perforated rolls but I had to buy in bulk. Now I am willing to share without making any profit. The price I paid is 70 euro a can which is -15 euros cheaper than in the famous German shop. the film is fresh with expiry date 01/2022 i am willing to ship worldwide. i am located in Poland EU. if you would like a shipping quote just PM me your address.

20200323-170612.jpg

20200324-153336.jpg

20200324-153344.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have a 100 foot roll on unperforated Tri-X over 30 years old that someone gave me.

Fogged enough that I haven't felt like using it.

(The thought was respooling 116.)

But what is it supposed to be used for?

Which camera uses long rolls of unperforated 70mm film?

-- glen

But what is it supposed to be used for?

Which camera uses long rolls of unperforated 70mm film?

Long-roll portrait cameras such as the Camerz brand made by Photo Control, or the Beattie-Coleman Portronics.

These were once mainstays of portrait work in the US, but little known outside of high volume studios or school-picture outfits.