Ha! Arthur Morris switching from Canon to Nikon D850

Mary Doo

I can understand switching to get the D5's AF but I don't quite understand that the use of D5 + 200-500/5.6 for bird in flight photography would be the trigger for the switch - I never tried that combination but the 200-500 isn't the fastest focuser on the D810. Perhaps it is significantly better on the D5. I guess 180-400/4, D850 etc. also must have played a role in his decision to switch. Still, it is very expensive to switch large systems such as Morris's and it does rise eyebrows. Edited by ilkka_nissila

About 10 years ago, I was on a trip with John Shaw, a long-time Nikon user. He said that he once considered switching to Canon (at a time when Nikon was clearly behind in DSLR bodies, especially FX), but since Nikon was one of his four main clients as Nikon used a lot of his images, switching to Canon meant losing a large chunk of his income that he couldn't easily replace. Eventually John Shaw stayed with Nikon, apparently for financial reasons.

Nowadays both Canon and Nikon have quite complete camera systems. There maybe a few Canon lenses that Nikon has no equivalent for now, and vice versa. Nikon's 200-500mm/f5.6 AF-S VR is one example, but Sigma and Tamron have similar lenses in different mounts. If one is unable to get great images with either system (and Sony mirrorless is gradually catching up with lenses), I am afraid that the problem is not in the equipment, but rather is behind the camera. That is the hard part about photography, and changing camera brands and camera models will not solve those issues behind the camera.

Edited by ShunCheung

Shun, exactly. As Ansel used to say,( a few hours south of SF or Sac in Yosemite where his piano resides at the Awahanee- he was a pianist working in sound energy before a photographer working in light energy), the most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it.