Grain is in fashion

<p>As photographers, many of us have been asked to produce images with obvious and tangible grain.</p>

<p>This request seems to be in fashion more so nowadays - at least around photographers friends of mine. The request is easy to fulfilled when prints can be large 24x32 (and larger) It does become tricky when the target print is 16x20 (or even smaller).</p>

<p>TMZ (Tmax 3200) shot at 12,800, and pushed to the point the midtones polarize to black or white, and then scanned at 8000 dpi, creates the most striking combination I found. (Attachment)</p>

<p>Also using small film like 35mm and squeezing the composition in a fraction of the frame helps.</p>

<p>Let's share our techniques:</p>

<p> </p><div>00V0uX-190871684.jpg.cdbd78ca55502a337ccf7d87dd9c10e0.jpg</div>

<p>for several years i would use Fuji Neopan iso 1600 film only exactly because i could not get proper grain/noise out of digital. this photo http://mooostudios.com/Peru2007/2img_bw202_gold_digger.jpg was takan with that film pushed to 3200 (disregard the border, it's for background purposes). same story here http://mooostudios.com/Peru2007/2img_bw198Lima_ocean.jpg .</p>

<p>since then i stopped pushing it and meter for 1600 - it has beautiful grain without me trying to force it. </p>

<p>I can only think of one time when I tried to add grain to a photograph so I don't have much experience with this. I would like to understand why digital filters don't produce a film look. Let me ask a question for understanding. I know that with B&W, the grain increases with density in the negative. The standard Photoshop filters add noise regardless of level. Is this why they don't look right? </p>

<p>Ron, it is not that simple. </p>

<p>There are multiple factors in play. The topography of the film is such that there is detail captured within the visible grain. </p>

<p>Grain added to a digital capture is just like an effect in photoshop. It removes detail from the original capture.</p>