Government Photo Ops

leicaglow

<p>Does it strike anyone else as very odd that a public servant/speaker (like Pelosi or Boehner, for example) speaks at a podium, and all around them in the background are colleagues who look bored out of their minds? Bush was content with standing alone, with a flight suit on, on an aircraft carrier deck, with just the sign: "Mission Accomplished!" in the background. Oh, wait, bad example.</p>

<p>What is the purpose? To lend credibility to the speaker's incredible words or allegations? Did public speakers lose their mojo, and can't speak in front of a crowd of photographers all by themselves? Are they scaredy cats? Maybe afraid of having people focus on their bad hair pieces and facelifts? Or do you think it looks natural?</p>

<p>I spent six years on Capitol Hill as press secretary to a subcommittee chairwoman. You can't believe the politics of who gets to be behind the podium for a major speech or news conference, especially if it involves the president. The pecking order goes from the people who actually get to speak in addition to the main speaker, to those who get to stand close enough to be in the picture to those who are in front of the room but out of the picture to those who are simply in the room. At a White House bill signing, the White Houses owes spots to the sponsors of the legislation and those who helped get it passed. At an event with congressional leadership, spots also go to those playing a major role, especially those who have helped out the speaker on his/her initiative. In either case, if you leave out someone who played an important role they are going to be upset. Other times, a speaker may surround himself with people who will benefit from whatever is being announced -- school children for an education bill, cops or firefighters, 9/11 families, etc. Sometimes you'll have staff or aides in the background, but if they're smart they try to look attentive to the boss.</p>

<p>The point of it is to get your image out there in any way possible. As Craig pointed out - it is a pecking order and priority system to reward sponsors, pushers and doers.</p>

<p>The more photo ops you get, the more prominent you become - the more photo ops you get...kind of a self feeding cycle.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>It's the self-perpetuating prophecy of self-importance being close to someone seemingly more important. In short, as noted, politics. Any bets if they don't want to be there, they're reminded of who's in charge and the fallout if they're not there? Just remember they're all just hot air balloons of their own imagination, and should you prick their reality, Phtttt...</p>

<p>Mr. Shearman…</p>

<p>“I spent six years on Capitol Hill as press secretary to a subcommittee chairwoman.” </p>

<p>I’m so sorry for your past affliction. It must have been an awful six years. How long were you in recovery? I’ve heard that in organizations, like AA, you are always considered “recovering.” Hopefully, you’ve joined an organization like that where you have a sponsor you can call if you ever attempt to fall back. </p>

<p>I mentioned your past plight to my friend Geppetto. He doesn’t remember carving you, but said if you had been performing those duties to the satisfaction of your chairperson, you may want to see a plastic carpenter about a nose job. </p>

<p>Good luck in “staying on the wagon.” </p>

<p>A. T. Burke </p>

<p>No, I wasn't saying it was R or D in nature (they both do it). I simply recall my old days as a photojournalist where you had one person at a podium, and that was it. A.T., I know a number of people who've worked in Washington and in my state's capitol. They are the hardest working and most passionate people I've met. If their bosses were only as genuine.</p>