Going to school for Photography

<p>She's always been more of an (often ungrateful) mistress to me, than a wife. If you have the money and the two years to spare on a hobby, go for it. But don't think that when you walk out of graduation that there will be employers recruiting you. You'd be better off learning accounting, welding, or shoe repair.</p>

<p>George, are you planning on becoming a commercial photographer, opening your own business? Serious hobbyist? Depends if it is worth it to you. If you want a job shooting for someone else, it always looks good on the resume. You can learn a lot in a course. If your shooting weddings for someone it will help give you confidence and the photographer you are working for that you understand photography. You are talking about a few 3 credit courses like Photography 101, 201, 202...at a community college probably will run you $300 each depending on where you live. It will give you an excuse to pick up Adobe Photoshop CS4 or 5 what ever it is up to.<br>

You will learn some stuff or at least better drill in what you already know.<br>

You can also learn a lot on your own, reading books and articles, attending seminars like the Masters of Light that Canon is doing. Shooting and experimenting, join a photo club. Get together with another good photographer and ask questions, ask to help on photo shoots. Read everything on Photo.net and other sites on the web and try out what you are reading about. I have seen cool tutorials on YouTube, the Canon website has lots of cool stuff.<br>

For me, a college class is fun. You learn stuff and get a chance to do what you learned and have an instructor critique your work and tell you what to do to improve. If you are enthusiastic, most instructors really like this as apposed to the students who are taking the class because they need 3 credits and don't really care about photography. They will generally take an interest in your progress if they see you are enthusiastic about the subject and really want to get something out of it.<br>

If you can afford it and have the time and are enthusiastic, take the class and really get into it. Just know it is not the only way to learn photography, but it can speed up the process and can be a lot of fun and will also help in networking with others into photography. :)<br>

Regards - Mark</p>

<p> </p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>I'd almost provide a blanket recommendation to auditing a community college's semester course in photo basics. Some classroom instruction is helpful; particularly with setting some guidance for the math basics, like exposure or optical calculations. Would it be worth under $50, plus textbooks and time? Yeah. Easy.</p>

<p>If the course you're looking for is more expensive than a couple hundred, overall; then, I think that'd be a personal budgeting decision for your household.</p>

<p>If the college courses are too expensive for credit, often there is a reduced fee for auditing. You wouldn't get academic credit for the class, but you get the information. In photo, it'd be the information that's most important.</p>

<p>Even George Eastman, the founder of Kodak, needed lessons in photography when he got started. </p>

<p>After almost 30 years of shooting for fun, and some periods spent in portrait studios, I took a college course: "Color Photography I". It was film-based, and at the local community college where I'm pursuing a 2-year degree in Mechanical Design.</p>

<p>I took it because seeing and composing in color, and learning color printing / enlargers, was something that I felt would be helpful to me no matter whether using film or Photoshop or even colored pencils. Lots of bang for the buck, in other words.</p>

<p>I had to talk my way out of a pre-req of Black & White Photography, which wasn't easy. But samples of my work, and being persistent, did the trick.</p>

<p>Verdict: the class was wonderful. I learned a lot. I don't think I want to pursue the entire program, nor to switch majors, so cherry-picking a few photography courses while in college is a good way to go for me. For you? I can't say, as I don't know your goals.</p>

<p>College classes can be fantastic. It's not just the subject, it's the whole class environment, discussions, debates, seeing/hearing each other's work. IMO, go for it. Now, if photography as a profession is being considered, there's lots to consider which can be searched or discussed otherwise.</p>

<p>George- There was a related question about a week ago. You might want to also read those post. As I mentioned on that thread I went back to college after 30 years just to take the photo courses, possibly get another degree, but mostly just to get back in the art environment. It really helps to be surrounded by others that share your passion when at college. Once you are enrolled you can get discounts on photo related equipment, computers and software through the college bookstore and Journey Education Marketing.<br /> Another good reason for people to go back to college:-) Apple, Dell and HP also gives discounts to students. I purchased CS3 for $199.00 & Lightroom II for $99.00. Big savings. Also bought printers, cameras, IMac, Macbook, lens and much of my equipment through the college. Sometimes I found better prices elsewhere, so it helps to shop around. The other link- <strong>Getting ready for photography school/career</strong> http://www.photo.net/beginner-photography-questions-forum/00Wu4J?start=10<br>

Many of us have jobs that conflict with college. As mentioned, when I went back I just wanted photo classes but only took 1 or 2 classes per term. It took me 2 1/2 years to take all the courses but I was able to spend much more time per class then others. I felt bad for the students that were taking a full load of classes. Besides class and lab time, it is nice to be able to spend hours in the field or studio.</p>

<p>I had to look up audit classes to see what it meant. Do you mean taking classes for no credit? When I enrolled and was taking classes for credit I was given a student ID. It was good for 2 years I think. After I finished taking the photo classes there was some more equipment I wanted but I needed to be taking a class to show I was enrolled. I took a 6 week online class ''Travel Photography'' that the college offered for no credit. I learned a little from the class but more important I was able to get my discounts.<br>

Something I just found out about last week is, since I have a photography business I owe taxes to Florida for the online purchases I made that did not charge tax, plus state tax on money earned from photo shoots even though FL. does not have a state income tax. Other states have similar laws. When I paid for my business license nobody told me about these laws. Surprise! We have a thread going on about it for anyone interested. <a href="../business-photography-forum/00Wyhn" target="_blank">http://www.photo.net/business-photography-forum/00Wyhn</a></p>

George

I once knew the head of my local community college photography department. Their 2 year program was for people who intended to become professional photographers. If you just want to become a better photographer, the program would be overkill. That college had a set of workshops in their after hours programs for photographers who just wanted to be better photographers. I think you would be better off finding one of these workshops rather than going for a 2 year program.

Danny

<p>The only possible advantage I see to a "photography" school if you seek employment are the contacts you might make.<br>

People who can hook you up with some of the movers and shakers in the industry. This of course will depend where you go to school.</p>

<p>(What) you know is rarely as important as (who) you know.</p>

<p>First question to ask is why are you taking the course? </p>

<p>Is it to learn new techniques? Or just to have a resume builder? or because you are just out of high school or college and looking for further education? Or do you think that you won't get into the photo business without a degree from a "photo" school?</p>

<p>If you're thinking about it from a self - employment / business view - my advice would be to focus more on business courses as opposed to photo courses. Accounting, Marketing, Legal...all of those combined take up more of my time as a business owner than photography does. Plus they're far more complex than the mechanics of lighting, exposure and vision....</p>

<p>Truth in bashing time - I did actually take a photo course in college back in the day... I showed the professor a small sample of my work to get into the "advanced" course and convinced him that I knew how to develop and print B/W film - Halfway through the advanced course the professor looked at me and said - "You have what 90% of the students in this class don't - Vision...you can see light, shades, colors...you don't need to show up for the final - you have an 'A' " That was the last photo class I attended.<br>

Dave</p>

<p>I always recommend getting a formal education in photography, particularly if you plan to enter the field professionally. Just like anything else it give you credibility to clients and a solid foundation for your future. Lastly, most programs will introduce you to many types of photography and processes that you would otherwise never experience.</p>