Give to Receive: Committing to Increase Photo Critiques Together

bens

For those interested in more critiques on the photos they post --

I submit a worthwhile path to getting such feedback is to leave more

comments ourselves, to consistently encourage dialogue among us.

This can feel like a thankless task if you feel you are alone. So

here is my suggestion -- let us commit to do it together in a

managable way. So --

I commit over the next month to leave 5 comments on other people's

photos every time I visit the site if 10 people will make the same

commitment here.

Who will join me?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

do you need others give you 'yes' or 'no' just to do what you feel is right?<br>

commenting is just another way to find people who like to exchange opinions not just 'numbers' in ratings<br>

so by commenting more you rise your chances to find those people<br>

and by gathering in some 'mutual commentators' group you just rise your chances to horde another 'backscratching fellowship'

I'm already with you, Ben. I've usually left at least that many comments each time I've visited the site recently. A couple of them have even been on your photos. I think I've only left three or four today, though. But I can do that. Oh, and comments on your own photos shouldn't count.

Ben, I appreciate your commitment to improving this site by being a tireless advocate for strengthening the commentary/critique aspects of this site. How often we hear the complaint that (other) people don't bother to write a critique. Or the lament that it is not rating that matter, people want comments.

There are many on this site who do receive thoughtful comments from others. These folks if you look at their history also write many comments. This takes work. As you know, rich commentary is not just going to suddenly drop into your lap. Relationships have to be developed and nurtured. Ideally you will develop relationships with others who share a similar vision and a willingness to share their knowledge and skills.

Sometimes asking for critiques from someone you respect can be the start of a relationship. But most important of all is taking the time to comment on works of others.

Anyway Ben I do respect what you are after here.

Btw, I'm not intending to leave any great treatises. Having left thousands of comments, I find that for the most part any comment that points out something specific is appreciated, whether its positive or negative, as long as said politely. People are often VERY appreciative of any specific feedback that goes beyond a number.