Fuji Astia 100F

Astia is kinda the forgotten film in Fuji's professional transparency line, and that's too bad, as it's a very nice film indeed. Very fine-grained, and very low contrast for a color transparency film, and as you've noted it handles skin tones very well. For outdoor shooting, I've sometimes found it to be a bit pastel in its color renditions, but in high contrast situations it can be a real lifesaver, as below.

http://www.westernsteamphoto.com/Recent/93-crossing.htm

Scott

Astia 100F is my standard film used 90% of the time. It is superb in sharpness, grain and contrast and has excellent (but normal) saturation. I don't consider it low contrast - to me it has normal contrast (unlike Velvia or K64 for example). It also is nicely free of bizarre color casts in the shadows. Scans very well too. I prefer it to any other E6 film.
Robin Smith

For my wedding stereos, Astia 100F is the only film I use now. The fine grain adds to the "you are there" feeling,

and it is a good starting off point if I need to make any dupes. I mostly use K64 for my personal stuff, but on

occasion I may still have some Astia in the camera, and there's no worries. I know it'll turn out well.

• 2 months later...

<p>astia is my "go to" film. nothing unexpected in the results, and its great for scanning.<br>

however, the last few times when ive asked for it at the local pro shops (in toronto) ive heard it said that it might be discontinued. has anyone heard similar, and is there any truth to it?</p>

<p> </p>

• 10 months later...
<p>I recently tried a roll of Astia 100F in 120, and it is clearly my new favorite chrome. I have used plenty of Velvia but it is just too contrasty and saturated for alot of stuff. I find Astia to be saturated but on a more normal level. Astia gives you a much better latitude of contrast and it scans well. </p><div>00VOVi-205823584.jpg.5dfb2e5afe1cfe4fd1eb3a9f0ed51ae2.jpg</div>