Four things I cannot seem to get rid of.

They are: A twenty year old Tenba bag that will not rip, fray or lose its shape: a twelve year old Canon 70-200 2.8L lens that despite

heavy use and abuse just keeps taking pictures like the day I bought it; a set of eighteen year old Novatron 240 watt second lights that I

fully intended getting rid of when I established my studio in 1996 but that kept making money for me and that I only added to and never

replaced; and, a very inexpensive 15 year old Shepherd flash meter that I still balance my lights with. These have all paid for themselves

more than a few times. The lens looks new. The lights are still set up and working despite my commercial use of them. The only thing I

have done with them

is replace one modeling light. The meter still works. In that interregnum I have had the following Canon bodies: 650, 630, Elan, A2,

EOS 1n, D60, XTi, 5D. EOS 10s, etc. Not to mention all the lenses I have owned. I had also a full array of Bronicas ETRS equipment

that lasted quite a while before I traded it. It

is nice to know in this day of planned obsolescence that there is still stuff that lasts a long time and is highly useful over that time. My

question is what do you have that it makes no sense to get rid of, even though it is old, because you can still use it effectively? Ps, I wish

I had kept some of the Bronica array. Although I need to make one point clear, I can, and have, taken acceptable (and god awful) pictures

with all of them and that I sincerely do not believe that equipment makes the photographer it just may make it easier (I think).

It's people like you, Dick, that are ruining the economy. What would happen if <i>everybody</i> bought quality gear and kept using it productively until it actually wore out? Why, we'd have an entirely different national mindset, that's what. Unacceptable!

<br><br>

I've got a Tiltall tripod that will surely outlive me. I have a more modern carbon-fiber Manfrotto that I prefer to lug around, but that original gen-u-ine Tiltall is a favorite for spotting scopes, oddball flash mounting needs, propping up a camcorder, and so on. I think I could use it as a jack stand when changing tires on my truck, too. It has the added sentimental value of having been lovingly roughed up by my dad, back in his day. It's a tank.

<br><Br>

And of course, the ol' Nikkor 50/1.8 that I've been abusing since 1985. Great little lens.

<i>a twelve year old Canon 70-200 2.8L lens that despite heavy use and abuse just keeps taking

pictures like the day I bought it</i>

<p>

What? You didn't learn to make <i>better</i> pictures in those twelve years! Don't sit so much on your

money, and at least spend some on a photography class, or a book. :-))

<p>

My gear is no older than two years and I still only have the minimum I need. I lost most of my previous

stuff in a fire. But a Canon Q-17III rangefinder survived and is waiting for me to get darkroom stuff again

(if I decide to do it again, still not sure).

Know what you mean about the Tenba. I have used the same one since 1986.. Once after a few years the zipper jammed. I brought it to the factory, which was in a Soho loft, and they fixed it on the spot. It has functioned perfectly since then. It will probably outlast me. The only thing I have which lasted longer was a Tel True thermometer which was accurate for 40 years before breaking. Am still using some Bogen light stands from 1983. Most of the plastic knobs twisted off early. The stands still work though.

"planned obsolescence" well there is an appropiate definition if ecer I saw one.

I have a Yashica Mat 124G that at the time I bought it was in mint condition. I had the shutter taken apart and revised and it still works like a dream. Furthermore a Pentax LX with four primes that I bought directly from Pentax. They restored it for me in almost completely new fashion for a very very acceptable price with the shutter adjusted to specification which still is as accurate as it was then. The LX is comparable to the Nikon F3, only far better. I had a Hasselblad as well but got rid of it because a digital back proved way too expensive but those two camera's are here to stay. Both were bought in the early nineties.

Things I can't seem to get rid of:

Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 legset. I don't even use it as a camera tripod anymore. Sometimes I use it with an adjustable Westcott arm to support a 42" reflector. Right now it's being use to support an experimental antenna for my shortwave radio.

A 30 year old Sears auto thyristor flash. Mostly a souvenir of some weird adventures. Only survivor of an entire camera kit that went swimming in the Guadalupe River during a canoe trip 25 years ago. And 12 years ago it emitted a loud "pop!" and puff of smoke the first time I tried it with a set of lithium AA's. Dang thing still works.

Agfa Isolette folder. Spent too much time getting it working again to let it go. And it looks good on a shelf.

A fugly Olympus XA3. Don't use it often but it works. It smells bad, runs on deer ticks instead of batteries and can whup yer Lomo's butt.

I have an entire house full of stuff I can't seem to get rid of. I guess somebody must have bolted it all to the floor. And the worst of it is, the pile of stuff keeps growing. I'm sure my Mamiya TLRs are mating when I'm not looking. And my fridge has been completely taken over by film!

I can't stand to get rid of anything, but especially my Tiltall. Hint- there's a fiber or felt ring inside the center tube at the bottom. If it gets worn, the tripod will be resonant and sharpness will suffer. If it's worn out, replace it with the right thickness of adhesive felt, so there's some definite resistance when you raise and lower the center post. The tripod will then be as rigid as the best of 'em. They also benefit from cleaning with aluminum polish and a bit of good Teflon grease at the pivot and locking points. Then you're fingers won't hurt.

Matt. I plead guilty to aiding the recession by hanging on to old but useful photo gear but you should see the pile of useless

photo stuff I did buy and which now resides in my cellar collecting dust. I must have twenty umbrellas. I use soft boxes. I will

not confess to the number of bags in my cellar while I still use that old Tenba. I have a perfectly good Canon backpack that I

never use. Look at the string of bodies I have bought. I used to love to trade stuff for stuff at now defunct camera shows. About

six years ago I sadly dismembered my darkroom as a Canon i9100 stole the show. I think maybe the enlarger and trays are in

a box somewhere. Not sure. I cannot admit to the number of third party lenses I bought and traded away. I now stick to Canon

and don't trade those away. Tom I admit manufacturers "plan obsolescence" but so do I in buying things I don't really need. I

just copied that term. I did not invent it. This hobby(most expenses were paid in my former photo business. I am more careful

now.). is cheaper than a mistress who at my age wouldn't be that useful anyway. But photo detritus is my sole vice. I don't drink,

smoke or chase anything but what I think might make a good picture. Conrad my tiltall will get lubricated but I won't. Good

advice. Matt you are right about the strength of the thing. I paid a hundred bucks for mine in the early nineties. It is black. Did it

ever come in another color? I have a couple of older printers, actually three if you come right down to it. Matt I certainly did not

want you to get the impression that I did not loyally support the economy but even if you think I am truly helping ruin it I will not

trade my old 70-200 2.8L. I want to be buried with it. It works better than I do.

"A twenty year old Tenba bag"

My 25 year old Tenba bag is still the best one I have. I have bought many other bags since then, trying in vain to find an even better one. But I still go back to that old one once in a while and it is still a joy to use. The sewing in one of the the top corners has come a bit loose now. Maybe I should send it for service.

I could say the same about my 25 year old Gitzo Reporter and Linhof ball head.

I have a Yashica Minister that I bought second-hand in 1971 and is still going strong. It doesn't get a lot of use but I wouldn't dream of letting go of it. As for bags, I did have a Billingham for a long time and eventually sold it for more than I paid for it. It's a very strong bag but is also heavy and fairly rigid which makes it not entirely practical in the field.

I kept a lot of stuff just because it wasn't worth selling - like my FTbN and breech-lock lenses. Now I find myself

shooting the FD gear for a change of pace.

A lot of digital photo equipment finds its way to my kids - not worth selling or keeping.

I won't part with my EOS3. Best camera I ever had and I had to wait for the prices to drop way down before

I could afford it (they were nearly $1800.00 in Canada, before tax, when new).

Top of my list though, is my Sony Clie PDA (an SJ 20) which I have had since they were new (8 years? - I lost

track). I can't text my "BFF" (kill me now - before It ever comes to that), it doesn't play music, no WiFi for UToob

(life is good) it doesn't have a colour screen...it just works - day

after day. I never imagined that a little piece of gadget crap like that (with a tiny, hard-wired battery

no-less), would be

so useful for so long...and I use it a lot. The corners of the Clie are worn through the paint well into the

plastic (hey...modern

brassing...used price just went up).

Cheers! Jay

Very nice to hear. I have an OM-1 that saw 20 good years of use before my Dad put it on a shelf for several years and then gave it to me when I was in college. It has since seen 4 or 5 years of good use by me and I plan on many more years of good use. I can't think of any lenses that I have that I would want to see go the way of the dodo any day soon. Though I guess my Tamron 35-70/3.5 might go up on Ebay (condition mentioned) one of these days to be replaced with another Tamron 35-70/3.5. The lens is great, but I think my copy suffered some damage before I got it as the barrel has slop where it can be pulled forward or backward easily a few MM effecting focus, so you have to very carefully focus. It takes great pictures though.