First Maternity Shoot Questions :)

iKokomo

Hello! A friend of mine asked me to do shoot some maternity photos of her. While I am doing these for free and for fun, I would like to do a good job as well. :)

I have shot a couple of weddings so I know how to use my DSLR and the basics of photography, but I have not done a maternity shoot before. I want to expand my skill-set while helping out a friend.

I was wondering if you guys have any tips to give or videos or blog articles to read and watch?

Hope you all have a great Holiday season!

You obviously know what you're doing, so I think you'll be fine. I can't give you specific advice, but there are some general things I can say, Firstly, welcome the prospect of shooting for a long time without getting anything good. That is, if the mother in question isn't on a tight schedule. Just roll with whatever you're thinking and if your success rate is 1%, that's no bad thing. All you need is a handful of images.

If possible, as the subject to not wash her hair the day before. Unwashed hair usually has more weight to it. But there are hair care products which can do that anyway, but I have no idea what they are - though maybe I should...

Keep the environment simple. Get rid of anything that doesn't need to be there. Imagine a room with floorboards, high ceiling, white walls, and nothing but perhaps a chaise longue or something. Some might put diffusion over the windows, but that depends on the situation.

You can't lose by using blanket lighting, so if you're not sure, do that. But I probably don't need to mention that.

Personally I prefer black & white wherever possible, but that's up to you. IMO you ought to avoid messing with colour too much. Let it be natural.

Merry Christmas!

. . . I have shot a couple of weddings so I know how to use my DSLR and the basics of photography, but I have not done a maternity shoot before. I want to expand my skill-set while helping out a friend. . . I was wondering if you guys have any tips to give

Tips: knowing and sharing the answers to these questions, would be a good start:

1. The two Weddings that you have covered: where there any posed Portraits during either or both, in other words, do you have any experience with directed and posed portraiture?

2. At the time of the proposed session, at what stage will be the Subject's pregnancy; i.e.how many weeks?

3. Are you experienced with using Flash?

4. Is the proposed session inside, outside or both?

5. To what stage of undress is the Subject's intent?

6. What is the basis of the rapport with your friend, for example are you work colleagues, social friends, relations etc?

. . . should I ask her to find some poses she likes and send them to me so I can learn her style? . . .

The Subject doesn't dictate the (photographic) style, you do.

Certainly you could and probably should discuss in general terms, what the Subject wants as the outcome. You can then better assess whether or not you will be able to meet those wants; and if not, then further discuss what you can achieve.

WW

Don't know if this is any help, but when one of my (many) ex-s was expecting, she asked me to take some photos of her. Since she was used to posing nude for me, we were relaxed together, and one of the shots I took was left profile, hands clasped gently under the 'bump' (hope this expression does not sound derogatory), looking slightly downwards and away from the camera, neutral background (monochrome). I didn't show her this one, but later on, after our daughter was born, I took a photo of the baby curled up and asleep.

Then spent almost a day in the darkroom, superimposing the image of the baby onto the 'bump', so that it appeared like a 'high-key' semi x-ray, if you see what I mean. Having done this, I then photographed the resulting print, in case copies were required. Were they ! She was over the moon with the approach, and all her friends and family wanted copies as well. Probably a lot less work now in PP !

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! So, should I ask her to find some poses she likes and send them to me so I can learn her style?

IMHO that would not be a bad idea. References from other movies are what most cinematographers use when in pre-production. Those references will no doubt give you a springboard.

William mentioned flash above. Personally I use only continuous lighting, but if you have a preference for flash, that's what you should be using.

Depending on the type of photos you want to get, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend just a bare room, though that’s one valid approach. If she already has a nursery set up, I’d consider some environmental portraits in it. Even if the nursery is not finished, work with it a bit. She’ll probably appreciate that kind of texture both now and in years to come. Or her bedroom or somewhere else interesting. Remember that, even when you’re doing posed photos, some of the best photos can be taken in the in-between moments, when the mom-to-be is in “pose mode” but maybe shifting positions or beginning to take a break. Don’t just think in terms of still poses. Have her gesture and move her body and shoot to still or to catch a little movement. Also, she’s more than just her pregnancy, so keep in mind her personhood and shoot some where the pregnant-ness is more incidental than focal. Supplement what are bound to be some traditional or even romantic kinds of shots with some more casual and maybe even whimsical shots. Work against type in at least some shots. Remember to have fun. Work hard but not too hard! Good luck.

"You talkin' to me?"

• 3 weeks later...

There is a story about when I was born, about 60 years ago, my dad took pictures,

such as me coming out. (That is with flashbulbs, needed for slide films of the day.)

Sometime later, my mom threw them away.

You might want to find out which pictures they don't want.

(Do they allow flash in the delivery rooms now?)

-- glen

• 2 weeks later...

The situation in the birthing place is really biological. There are also enough pheromones in the air, I suspect, to make a horse silly.

This can lead to photographs that are more intimate than the general, non-pregnant, population is prepared for. :|