Film Slitters

ian_wade

<p>Has anyone out there been looking at ebay lately?<br>

there has been a few film slitters advertised out there to do the job, I have read into the CB-1 from MHS<br>

and it looks like it might be junk. And this other one looks similiar to the Zipslit<br>

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/CB-1-FILM-SLITTER-MINOX-16mm-1-Minox-Cartridge-/200500628253?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2eaec4cb1d">http://cgi.ebay.com/CB-1-FILM-SLITTER-MINOX-16mm-1-Minox-Cartridge-/200500628253?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item2eaec4cb1d</a></p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Al-Spoil-film-slitter-cut-any-film-down-any-size-/160459667759?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item255c24392f">http://cgi.ebay.com/Al-Spoil-film-slitter-cut-any-film-down-any-size-/160459667759?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item255c24392f</a></p>

<p>I would like to learn how to slit my own film and I am looking for the best one to start learning with.<br>

I also recently bought a Pentax 110, and its hell trying to get film. I ordered some from Frugalphotographer<br>

but I would really like to be able to do it myself and have film that isnt already expired.</p>

<p>So any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Thanks<br>

-Ian</p>

<p>Ian,I also use Joe's slitters and they do work great indeed.I have recently bought 2:</p>

<ul>

<li>35 mm > 9.2 mm (4 x 36 exp. strips)</li>

<li>35 mm > 16 mm (2 x 50 exp. strips)</li>

</ul>

<p>You may want to use this 16mm for your Pentax 110.I know it works perfectly with my Edixa 16.However,respooling unperf 16mm in 110 cassettes can be a pain,but patience pays indeed.</p>

<p>I'd say give it a go.On how to actually cut your film,respool and such,there are tons of information here.Feel free to ask,I'm sure someone here will help.</p>

<p>Regards,<br>

JT<br>

www.juliantanase.com</p>

<p>Julian says reloading 110 cassettes can be a pain but google 'another way to reload 110 cassettes' which I have posted on several sites and you will not have to crack them open and juggle paper and film in the dark then reassemble before you can see what a mess you made! :-)<br>

I slit 120 film into 4 * 15.5mm strips and they are exactly the length you use to reload 110. No 110 camera or 16mm Minolta/Kiev worries about that .5mm.</p>

<p>Cheers<br>

Murray</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>I just bought one of the Al Spoil film slitters. I'm going to try it out with minox size film then if I can get the hang of it, I will get the 110 sized slitter.<br>

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here somewhere about the size thickness and how it effects the length of the film, I will have to try and dig it up....<br>

So wish me luck and pray i don't ruin any of my cameras.</p>

<p>today i recieved my film slitter, so now what?<br>

I have a roll of 35mm, 24exp, 400 iso, walgreen brand film to practice on.<br>

any ideas like how many frames you can get out of a 24exp 35mm roll?<br>

Also I'm sure I've seen a table with the different lengths of film for 15 exposures and 50, <br>

can someone point me in the right direction please? </p>

<p>The Minox is 8 x 11mm, so allowing 1mm between frames you will get 3 x 12mm frames per 35mm frame of 24 x 36mm (plus its interframe spacing). That is theoretically one 36 exp Minox film per 12 of the 35mm frames. Allowing a little on the ends for the cassettes and tail, you will get close to 4 Minox 36 exp films. This assumes the splitter cuts 2 strips down the middle of the 35mm film.</p>

<p>Excellent, Martin. Pictures and all. I like the idea of the alligator clip as I have been wondering what to advise people to use when refilling 110 cassettes. I use a haemostat but they aren't easy to get! :-)</p>

<p>A small point tho, just under the picture of the crocogator clip there is a bullet with the comment<br>

"snap close the take up side cap." I think you mean the supply side cap?<br>

Cheers and thanks.<br>

Murray</p>

<p>Since i've been going over the links Martin posted, I've seen that the thickness of the film can damage the camera's winding mechanism. How worried should I be? As long as I'm not jamming an outrageous amount of film into the spool should I be safe?</p>

<p>Thanks Martin and everybody for your patience and the great help you've all been.</p>

• 2 weeks later...