Film availability?

steve_d6

<p>Yes, I understand. But home loading applies to very dedicated users. The average Minox owner probably doesn't have the equipment or interest in reloading in the dark. And, of course, commercial developers and printers of color film will quickly disappear. Without them, BW will be the only option.<br>

<br />The film availability issue really is a barometer as to Minox's interest in supporting the camera as a viable user. Despite the assurances of 'continued support' and 'intent to supply film', I'm convinced the company has abandoned the format and loyal users.<br>

<br />S</p>

<p>Even if available, did you read the fine print re an order?<br>

"The prices apply for the European market and include the 19% VAT applicable in Germany. The minimum order value is 20.00 Euros within Europe. For all non-European countries the minimum order value is 200.00 Euros."<br>

Outside the EU, the minimun order is 200 euros!! Wow, never intended to buy film for my children and their children. Somehow the cost seems prohibitive.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Unless you already have cartridges and reload and develop your own film I would say the Minox 8X11 format is dead. Sad. </p>

<p>I wonder how much development money would have to be spent for a plastic molding company to duplicate the cartridge and run off a reasonable number, say 10K empty cartridges. Of course you would also have to source very high quality felt light traps to complete the assembly. </p>

<p>Might make a good Kickstarter project. If the empty carts could be supplied for a price of $10 each with a buy in of $50 supplying 5 well made reloadable carts it would indicate by how many people signed up if there was a viable market for empty cartridges. </p>

<p>Perhaps while they are at it a similar project would be to copy and run empty carts for Minolta 16 and Mamiya 16 style cartridges. </p>

<p>A whole submini film cartridge renaissance if you will. </p>

• 6 months later...

<p>With Minox announcing that Blue Moon and Camera (clue: it is on the online questionnaire) are going to license 8x11 Cassette Production. One assumes that includes films and new cassettes, the USA Minox users are going to be happier. Leaves European users with a bit of a problem. For me it means more cassettes in the wild.<br>

Added to increased production of sharan cassettes to Europe and the market for 8x11mm films is looking a lot better for first time in 5 years.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>James said: "<a href="/photodb/user?user_id=8439586">James Muttera</a> , Sep 03, 2014; 07:40 p.m.</p>

<p>Minox Shop Germany is now showing that fresh Minox film will be available in late NOV 2014. 5 packs of 100 ASA and 400 ASA.<br>

<a href="http://www.payworxx.de/minox/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Film" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.payworxx.de/minox/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Film</a>"</p>

<p>It has progressed from late spring 2014, then late Nov 2014 and currently late Dec 2014. Minimum of five films per order. Don't know why they even bother to update this page or even carry it. The large scale use of this format is dead as far as commercial film availability. Granted Sharan provides file, but it is so expensive I won't even consider it.<br>

Steve</p>

<p>I have 8 rolls of APX25 in my freezer, along with some miscellaneous rolls of negative color and a few XP-2 and 3200 B&W films. Just not enough for a major project.<br>

If someone does start making it, (and the price is not over the moon), I'll buy 100 rolls of XP-2 Super which should last me the rest of my lifetime. Maybe consider 50 rolls each of 25 and 400 speed film, as an alternate.</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...