Favorite compact modern film camera

Andy Collins

<p>I'm sure we've discussed this before (and even if we have, it's still a fun topic!) but my motivation for bringing it up is a little different this time. Recently I've experienced a couple of compact MFCs that have really impressed me, namely the Canon Classic 120 and the Yashica T4. Of course we all know what an excellent performer the Olympus Stylus Epic is from our own experience and, most recently, from Maciek's excellent write-up on it. With the T4 I've found a camera that I think is absolutely superb and produces pictures that are crazy sharp, and it has become a regular fixture in my camera bag. So now I've begun to set my sights on cameras like the Contax AF cameras, that is until financial reality sets in. Now my desire is to find other compacts with outstanding lenses like the T4 and the Stylus Epic. What are your favorites and why are they your favorites? If you were to be told that you could only use one compact film AF camera from now on, which one would it be and why? For me right now it would be the T4 with the Stylus Epic nipping at its heels...</p><div>00aAQY-451685584.jpg.65a12df2a2c3502e3fe3632c2ba05338.jpg</div>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>The little Contax's are great designs and nicely made. I like the Nikon L35AF for it's image quality but it's a bit large for the pocket. The most fun is the Minolta Talker but another brick to carry. The most versatile is the Leica C1 with the stunning Vario-Elmar 38-105 ASPH zoom and top notch build quality. Sweet looking images but again, these days, I will no longer carry a P&S film camera of this large size.</p>

<p>For true compact pocket carry, I like my little Leica Mini. Light weight, very small and easy to carry. Mindlessly simple to use. Accurate focusing and exposures all wrapped around a brilliant 35mm f/3.5 Leica Elmar. Great sharpness and contrast from this little guy.</p><div>00aAVe-451785584.jpg.8d8641add7aa306e91a4f06e6550c8d2.jpg</div>

<p>Don't discount the Nikon Ti35 .. an unusual design with a sharp lens. I have yet to try it but it intrigues me with its' design. And yes, the Yashica T4 is a better camera than the price it sold for would indicate - and the superscope on the T4 lends the body to creative use that other point-and-shoot cameras lack.</p>

<p>Contax cameras in the point-and-shoots through the Contax G2 are simply elegant cameras with superior lenses. I currently own the Contax G2 and the Yashica T4. These cameras travel well without being intrusive and clunky; require just film and a battery and that in itself is photographically limiting and at the same time liberating.</p>

<p>I would be satisfied with whatever camera at hand when I want to photograph as long as the lens is sharp, be it the Yashica T4 or Stylus Epic .. I just find the T4 to feel the best for no-nonsense - take the picture photography. If you like people cluttering up your land/city-scapes who are real close to the camera perhaps the limits of the built-in flash on these point and shoots is more important than the lens.</p>

<p>It would by my <strong>Nikon AF600</strong> (28mm f3.5) mentioned above by Mike Gammill. Small, black, with very sharp lens and very good AF. Not a fan of wide lenses but it's good to shot from the hip :)<br>

Now <strong>Olympus Stylus Epic</strong> (Mju2) is my everyday camera. Sharp lens, but want to see if I really like the design and AF performance...<br>

<strong>Minox GT</strong> - excellent lens but slower to use especially mine without working light meter needle.<br>

I have to say that <strong>Canon</strong> AutoBoy (Prima) <strong>Megazoom 105</strong> (35-105 lens) is an excellent performer delivering SLR quality in some cases. But it's a BIG P&S.<br />Another great zoom would be <strong>Olympus Infinity Stylus Zoom</strong> (35-70 lens). Very good lens.<br>

Last one: <strong>Canon SureShot Classic 120</strong> - not the greatest lens but excellent electronics and functions. Nice metal body.<br /> </p>

<p>Olympus Stylus Epic. More family shots and unexpected shots with this little pocket size gem than all my Nikons together. Sharp lens, on-the-money exposure even with little manual control (it does have spot metering) and can focus down to just over a foot. Most of all, it fits into the smallest pocket and is always there. And as much as I like it, cheap enough that I can take it anywhere and not worry if it were to be lost/stolen/damaged.</p>

<p>Fuji Fotonex 1000ex "Tiara". It takes very good photographs and the titanium case slides shut to fit in a shirt pocket, a brilliant design that I consider it to be an amalgam of art and technology. Perhaps this is where film cameras were heading...Now we have this forum, I must post something featuring this little gem.</p><div>00aAxC-452147584.jpg.644696370379958d4138f1f5344a6634.jpg</div>

<p>I have a (probably irrational) attraction to the Pentax UC-1 / Espio Mini (I own three of them)... though objectively it's probably not as good as some of the eye-mini-candy others here are posting.</p>

<p>The silver ones are relatively common and inexpensive, the black ones go for more.</p>

<p>Great responses everyone! I've used some of these cameras, but I've not experienced a number of them. The Leica Mini intrigues me and that Fujifilm Tiara really does as well. That's a hard one to find which makes me want it even more.<strong> Rick</strong>, I hope you do share some pics from it sometime soon.</p>

<p><strong>Martin</strong>, those Contax cameras are beautiful. I'm awaiting the arrival of my recently purchased Contax TVS, and looking forward to using it. <strong>John</strong>, the L35AF is indeed a wonderful camera that I always thought took 'slr-like' pictures. All this mention of it makes me want to get mine out and exercise it!</p>

<p>I have a lot of compact cameras. I love using them, and I have taken many winners with them because I had a camera with me at the right time. My favorites:</p>

<p>Yashica T4 Super D Weatherproof</p>

<p>This is a camera I take out in big storms and heavy rain and it is a fabulous camera. I really like the waist level finder too. Makes a nice street camera. The shutter lag is a bit of a pain, but otherwise a good choice. I have the T3 "Golden Eye" version too. Also nice but a bit clunkier in design.</p>

<p>Oly Stylus Epic</p>

<p>What else can be said here? If I had to have ONLY ONE compact, this would be it. It really does fit in ANY pocket. And the way it fits in your hand is pure design genius. The camera becomes an extension of your hand - it's amazing. Considering how far the lens travels to shoot, the lag is not bad. I recently took it on a weekend trip and took 3 rolls of B&W in very nasty weather. I got 3 absolute winners that are as good as anything I shoot with other cameras. Incredible considering I paid $40 bucks for the camera.</p>

<p>Contax G2</p>

<p>Is this a compact? I don't think so. I do love shooting this camera, but it is heavy and absolutely doesn't fit in a pocket. This is a state of the art RF though, and it is smaller than an SLR.</p>

<p>Nikon Ti35</p>

<p>This was my first compact camera. I love the "gauges" on the top deck - retro and cool beyond compare. This is a large compact, and I would not carry it in a pocket for two reasons - it might fall out and cost you $400 bucks, and it really is too thick to fit properly in a pocket. Keep it in the nice leather pouch! This camera is nicely made but the design doesn't compare to the sleek Contax models. It's a bit like comparing a Volvo to Lambo in terms of design. The Nikon is boxy! Also, because of the high cost, I am a bit worried about using this as a "take everywhere camera." If I lose a Yashica T4, not such a big deal. If I lose this, I will cry. Waaaaah!</p>

<p>Olympus XA</p>

<p>Again, this is truly a pocket camera. It is not a P&S, it is a full featured RF, with aperture and shutter control. I find it hard to use, and have not yet really bonded with this camera. Others take fabulous pix with it, but so far I haven't got the hang of this camera.</p>

<p>What I Want: I really want a Contax T3, and a Leica CM to see how they compare to the Nikon. I would only have one of these "high buck" pocket cameras, and they would never replace my Oly or Yashica, but they are fun to own.</p>

<p>I only got into these little guys about two years ago. Before that, I would never, ever have imagined I would enjoy a P&S camera of any kind. But slipping one into a pocket before leaving the house changed my mind. I definitely won't lug a big camera bag around everywhere I go, but a P&S in the pocket is not hassle at all. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I have owned many of the compacts mentioned, but the only two I have left and use are a Minox GTE and a Rollei 35T. I like the Tessar lens much better than the Sonnar on the Rollei 35, but maybe it's just me. My wife bought me a brand new Oly XA when they first came out and I thought I had the world by the tail. Well, that was until I used the camera. The XA did everything for me it was suppose to, but it's image quality didn't start until about f5.6. I have a green Russian Minox (Kiev35) that will wipe the floor with it. I like the Yashica T series, but had reliability problems with them. Minox can be worse with some models since they had iffy shutters, but get a good one and you'll have a picture taking machine. If your Minox breaks just buy another user camera since it's cheaper than getting it repaired as are most film cameras now a days. Another nice little compact that has a very good lens is the old Konica C35 and you can find them for nothing. You can see I prefer none-auto-focus compacts, but that's just me. JohnW</p>

<p>John N., looks like that rubber hood might just get in the way of the Nikon AF beam.</p>

<p>There's a non-OEM 46mm "Contax G" 28mm to 35mm lens shade, that fits the Nikon L35AF nicely.<br /> (Made for non-AF obstruction)</p>

<p>My vote for favorite <strong>super</strong> compact is the Minox ML.</p>

<p>Gabor, I have the same camera, only with a different name. The lens is probably the same but it's an "AF-VarioRolleigon". Whatever it actually is (and who made it, when and where) I've had some great results from it.</p><div>00aJGs-460599584.jpg.52215bbe7aca3c34cc869fe7e3eb0c10.jpg</div>