Exposed Delta 3200 8 months old

Dave Luttmann

Hello everyone. First time this has happened to me, but I used quite a bit of film during a recent project in Tokyo. I just found a roll that I

missed from March of this year. I am curious as to opinions for processing. Should I make any adjustments at all? I am wondering as to

how the image may have changed during the last 8 months.

<p>Honestly, 8 months is nothing--especially if stored in a refrigerator or freezer. Even 8 years is no big thing! </p>

<p>I am just now getting around to developing dozens of rolls that have been in the freezer for those 8-10 years since I shut the old darkroom down in a series of moves. Finally got some things running and going. At this point, the standard is HC-110 in the B dilution (I usually go with D-76 or ID-11). Some things were slated for Rodinal are still headed that way!</p>

<p>Either chemistry solution deals well with latitude, and any base fog issues. But at 8 months? Watch out for those pieces of falling sky...</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>For all but TMZ and D3200 I wouldn't worry about 8 years. <br>

I have some TMZ to use someday.</p>

<p>HC-110 wouldn't be a bad choice, but it will probably be fine with anything. <br>

What EI did you use? At more than 3200, you are more likely to have problems.</p>

<p>If you get closer to 25000, you will have more problems. Yes Ilford has times for 25000.</p>

<p>http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/201071394723115.pdf</p>

-- glen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

1062724901_JapanDelta3200107Final.thumb.jpg.0f47d4bf4536ba006b5d2321f8d8c9ec.jpg Well, here's an update. Not only did I forget about this thread....but I once again forgot about the film. So, it sat for 2 years. I gave it an extra stop of processing time. Ran it in Ilford DDX, 1:4, 21 degrees C, for 12 minutes. There was some increased base fog...and the shadows didn't seem to hold up as well as fresh film...to be expected. That said though, I still love the grain and got a few extra shots for my ongoing street project in Shinjuku.

In the future, I'll try not to forget about rolls of film!

All that push processing does is to increase contrast. It doesn't help recover shadow detail.

All film starts to lose shadow detail as soon as it's exposed due to recombination of freed (exposed) electrons within the Agx crystals. It's like a leaky bucket that selectively loses the weakest exposure first and gradually eats its way up the tonal scale. The same mechanism is responsible for long exposure - or more correctly - low intensity reciprocity failure.

Delayed processing or low intensity reciprocity failure both result in a more contrasty image and poor shadow detail. Increasing development does nothing to help in either case.

Also the fog level doesn't increase appreciably, it's just that the weakened shadow detail disappears into it.

All that push processing does is to increase contrast. It doesn't help recover shadow detail.

All film starts to lose shadow detail as soon as it's exposed due to recombination of freed (exposed) electrons within the Agx crystals. It's like a leaky bucket that selectively loses the weakest exposure first and gradually eats its way up the tonal scale. The same mechanism is responsible for long exposure - or more correctly - low intensity reciprocity failure.

Delayed processing or low intensity reciprocity failure both result in a more contrasty image and poor shadow detail. Increasing development does nothing to help in either case.

Also the fog level doesn't increase appreciably, it's just that the weakened shadow detail disappears into it.

I think it is both, somewhat depending on the film. Some electrons can get thermally excited into the conduction band.

In normal exposure, an electron comes to the surface somewhere, and the corresponding hole somewhere else.

The electron can do Ag+ --> Ag, and the hole Br- --> Br.

On older high-speed film, it is usual to see white spots (in the positive) where thermally exposed grains are.

But yes, increasing development time doesn't help in either case.

-- glen