Exacta VX and trip back in time.

<p>I have recently acquired an Exacta VX. I have been looking for one for a while, but the ones out there usually had some kind of issues. This one here was looking in good shape and clean. Seller provided pictures of the shutter curtains and those looked good as well. Well, I took the plunge and clicked buy it now. Few days later I had a good looking camera with both, prism finder and waist level finder. All for 60 Washingtons. I had a Zeiss lens sitting around so I put in on and headed out. <br>

I wanted to capture some scenes from my town and its neighbor, Des Plaines, IL. Both Mount Prospect and Des Plaines are rather historic cities, Des Plaines being older. It was incorporated in 1869 and now it is one of largest suburbs of Chicago. It originally was home for many German immigrants dating back to 1840’s. Here are some of the most interesting landmarks in the city. </p>

<p >Des Plaines Theatre was built in 1925 and it still stands with its original façade, however, it does not run any shows. In early and mid 2000’s they projected Indian Bollywood movies and the placed was always packed to the brim. Then, one day, it was all gone, no more shows no more people. This place is now closed and seems to be pretty gutted inside. Shame that once viral place is now gone. </p>

<p > <br>

</p><div>00d1Lw-553390584.jpg.d8dcc3a391fad10150bca3cc059f7c98.jpg</div>

<p >Here’s a street view of downtown Des Plaines. Right at the intersection of Miner and Pearson is a candy store for classic cameras lovers. I go there once in a while and even had two cameras repaired there. The owners are not the most open to questions and the place is always empty. Once I asked the owner for many years they’ve been there and she said 30, so I started asking more about cameras and how they ended up with so many cameras and bit of gear. She looked at me and said with heavy (Asian) accent “ You go now I don’t know cameras go go go” so I left, but even more intrigued came back for more looksies and questions. They must hate my guts, but I spent some $$ there. </p><div>00d1M0-553390984.jpg.986b76f5abd564fbcf16a0e1843d2b96.jpg</div>

<p >Now here’s some info on the camera and film used. Exacta VX is from about 1954 and it’s a grandchild of Kine Exacta, first 35mm SLR. It features an odd left hand film winder, actually most of its buttons are on the left side of the camera. I have read somewhere that the designer was left handed, but I don’t know if it’s true. Anyways, this camera is a work of art in itself. Its ArtDeco design makes it very unique and pleasant to look at. They don’t make cameras like this one anymore. I used Kodak TriX at 400 and processed it in DD-X. </p>

<p >So that’s it, I hope you enjoyed this short introduction and trip back in time to Des Plaines and Mount Prospect. </p><div>00d1M4-553391384.jpg.afe579686570557167351a0f9be694c4.jpg</div>

<p>Great shots, Kris, with a terrific vintage camera. When I owned one I thought it was about the clumbsiest thing going, and I never did get used to the WLF, everything was backward...but the lenses for the Exaktas are prolific, really good, and sometimes go for a really cheap price. BTW - the pictures brought back lots of memories, I raised my daughter in Mt. Prospect in the 1970s-80s, the Sugar Bowl in DP was an absolute must (their maraschino lemonade was great)...I think it is now owned by two young guys who bought it a couple of years ago to save it from going out of business. I once had a rangefinder camera fixed at Lee's, and your description is right on the button...I think they don't like customers, but they usually (at least used to) have quite an eclectic collection of vintage cameras for sale.</p>

<p>Nice shots.<br>

But I am struck by a contrast that I have also seen in my own pictures -- the streets of American cities are empty of people. Everyone either goes to the mall or drives to wherever they are going.<br>

Or maybe you were out at a 'dead time' and I am making too much of it?<br>

Compare SP's busy Bengaluru street scenes, anyhow.</p>

<p>I started picking up a few Exaktas as a sideline to my collection (originally) of KW cameras, but I came to respect them more and more. </p>

<p>As the first 35mm SLRs, it's really the case that all the <strong><em>other</em></strong>, later SLRs are 'backward". ;)</p>

<p>JDM, few years ago a friend of mine was visiting from Poland and asked me why there are no people walking around in the suburbs. Except for downtown Chicago, most suburban sidewalks are empty in contrast to European cities. I was out on Sunday at around 4 PM, so it would seem like a prime time for walkers.</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Kris! </strong>Lovely pictures of yesteryear towns. Yes, I am also surprised at the absence of pedestrians in such a walkable ambiance of streets and facades. Your VX looks very good and almost new. The series was made so sturdily that a good CLA would make it go for years. Even the non-functional ones can be renewed fairly, easily, to good working condition. You may want to get one of those CZJ 20mm Flektogons and make a few rounds of Downtown Chicago. Best, sp.</p>

<p>Fine images, <strong>Kris</strong>; while I admire the sheer quality of the Exactas I'll have to admit they're not the most user-friendly of SLR's. However, as you've demonstrated, in the right hands they produce good work. Interesting, that your small towns look as deserted as ours... Thanks for an interesting insight.</p>

The left handed ergonomics made no impression upon me. I only realized how backward this was when I

started sharing info on-line. I love these Art Deco models and like youiwill eventually plop down the money

to get one. I have later body and three lenses .. all of which have had problems. The kit works now for the

most part and I did stumble into a Exa too the lens was broken ( now repaired ) I love the Plana lens.

Excellent.

I have generally avoided people in my pics even when they are there. Still there has been a change in

social habits and people seldom interact outside of an event.

<p>Great to see these Kris, your town looks like a treasure chest for photos. I do love the Exactas, mostly for the way they look though....really classic, and unique.<br>

Using one is a bit of an art though and I'm all fingers and thumbs, but the results speak for themselves, and a good Exacta is a great picture taker.</p>