Epson Perfection v700 questions

Hi, I might be asking this in the wrong location, but I thought this was the right category for my question.

I own an Epson Perfection v700 scanner. I lost my copy of the SilverFast software that came with the scanner (back when I bought it in 2008). Now that I'm using a MacBook Air running macOS 12.2.1, I'm not sure what my best option is for being able to use some of the expert photo functions I originally purchased this scanner to help me achieve.

I've tried contacting silverfast directly regarding this issue, but the only solution they have is to purchase a new copy of their software. The problem with replacing the SilverFast software is that the software license costs $400. This makes me want to give up on this scanner all together if I can't figure out a better solution.

Would I be better off replacing this scanner with a newer device that includes the software license instead of trying to make this work (since it's probably over 15 years old)?

Thank you for your help.

The Epson software sucks big time compared to Silverfast. If you've been getting good scans in the past, get the upgrade. Without good scanning software, the hardware is a doorstop. I'd plead with them for a reasonable upgrade price; they might do so.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Hi, I might be asking this in the wrong location, but I thought this was the right category for my question.

I own an Epson Perfection v700 scanner. I lost my copy of the SilverFast software that came with the scanner (back when I bought it in 2008). Now that I'm using a MacBook Air running macOS 12.2.1, I'm not sure what my best option is for being able to use some of the expert photo functions I originally purchased this scanner to help me achieve.

I've tried contacting silverfast directly regarding this issue, but the only solution they have is to purchase a new copy of their software. The problem with replacing the SilverFast software is that the software license costs $400. This makes me want to give up on this scanner all together if I can't figure out a better solution.

Would I be better off replacing this scanner with a newer device that includes the software license instead of trying to make this work (since it's probably over 15 years old)?

Thank you for your help.

Pat, I've been using Epsonscan for over ten years. First on my V600 and now with my V850. I believe with Apple, you need free Epsonscan2 to download. You can see results on my Flickr link below for 35mm, 120, and 4x5 film.

Note that I use Epsonscan for scanning and except for setting black and white points for the scan, do the rest of my editing in Lightroom.

MAC OS 12 download: SPT_B11B178011 | Epson Perfection V700 Photo | Perfection Series | Scanners | Support | Epson US

Pat, I've been using Epsonscan for over ten years. First on my V600 and now with my V850.

How about your scans from Silverfast, examples where?

Note that I use Epsonscan for scanning and except for setting black and white points for the scan, do the rest of my editing in Lightroom.

That explains all the clipped highlights. :D

Call the U.S. LaserSoft Silverfast location. They have more leeway than employees in the mothership.

Indeed. Ask for Karl-Heinz Zahorsky, tell him I said hello. ;) (941) 312-0690.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

Where are your scans from Silverfast and Epson?

So you haven't used Silverfast? Understood. Expected.

I'd be happy to show scans I've made where I didn't clip highlights that can never be recovered due to such scanning.

In any case, the OP said he didn't want to spend all that money for Silverfast.

The OP didn't actually say he didn't want or wouldn't spend the money, he asked if there was a better solution. You didn't provide one.

He like I, have used Silverfast. And I've used what you call "Epsoscan" :eek: (the software from Epson for the V series) hence my comment earlier about it based on actual experience compared to Silverfast. Unlike yours, with respect, it seems, to Silverfast. Or you have used it to provide your advice to the OP????

Edited by digitaldog

Well, the OP seems to be considering buying a new scanner as an alternative to paying for Silverfast. I think trying Epson Scan is a reasonable suggestion at zero cost. I've used it for many years and have never felt that it blows out highights. I've never used Silverfast or Vuescan so can't do comparisons.

Owinng a V700 you should be able to download the free version of Silverfast from Epson. Nothing more complex than entering scanner serial no.

SilverFast - Update :: LaserSoft Imaging

SilverFast Buy :: LaserSoft Imaging

Edited by digitaldog

I think trying Epson Scan is a reasonable suggestion at zero cost. I've used it for many years and have never felt that it blows out highlights.

Epson Scan doesn't blow out highlights, a user who doesn't know how to use it and makes recommendations about scanning software does as one can observe from their scanning examples here and elsewhere. ;)

Nonetheless, Epson Scan isn't anywhere as capable as Silverfast by a long shot. This IMHO as an experienced user of both products and dozens of scanners from PMT drums down, some of whose scanning software alone cost more than the V700 hardware.

Edited by digitaldog

So you haven't used Silverfast? Understood. Expected.

I'd be happy to show scans I've made where I didn't clip highlights that can never be recovered due to such scanning.

The OP didn't actually say he didn't want or wouldn't spend the money, he asked if there was a better solution. You didn't provide one.

He like I, have used Silverfast. And I've used what you call "Epsoscan" :eek: (the software from Epson for the V series) hence my comment earlier about it based on actual experience compared to Silverfast. Unlike yours, with respect, it seems, to Silverfast. Or you have used it to provide your advice to the OP????

I've provided the links to see my scans. You haven't but talk a lot. So the OP will have to decide for himself which way to go and whether my scans are OK.. Any clipping I did were my doings not the Epsonscan software.

Since Epsonscan2 software is free, the OP can try it to see if it makes sense for him.

One further note is I use Epsonscan for Windows. I don;t know if Epsonscan 2 for Apple has all the same features.

I've provided the links to see my scans.

Indeed, it is where I found so many with clipped highlights. Don't you recall me asking you about this 'workflow' of destroying image data in our last conversation about scanning you posted in? For others needing proof of concept:

Best software for b&w images?

I asked if you clipped the scans or just clipped the film; you didn't know. Again, you have provided excellent examples of clipping image data; thanks!

You haven't but talk a lot.

Sorry, Alan, I have no examples of clipped data, scans, or captures that are clipped out of ignorance. I do have lots of examples of scans and captures otherwise here in my gallery and on my website.

One further note is I use Epsonscan for Windows. I don;t know if Epsonscan 2 for Apple has all the same features.

Indeed, you don't know. It doesn't stop you from making recommendations and providing examples of scans which, I would reject due to massive image clipping you either didn't or can't control.

So you don't know anything about Silverfast and you don't really know anything about Epson Scan (Epsonscan or Epsoscan) for Mac; is that the gist of it? :D

Edited by digitaldog

Better than SilverFast anyway IMHO, and it's updated from time to time.

Updates for Vuescan stopped for me when Hendrick decided Mac OS X 10.6.8 was too old. I understood when I bought Vuescan I'd get lifetime updates, but the only way I'll get them now is to buy a newer operating system, and a much later Mac computer. Mine is a 2008 24" desktop and browsers and other software are acting up because I no longer get updates for anything on the computer. To get updates coming in again is going to cost me well over A$2,000, the price of a new Mac.

• Like 1

Better than SilverFast anyway IMHO, and it's updated from time to time.

Have you considered a new printer? 2008???

My 2009 Epson 3880 still makes superb prints.

My newer P800 does too, but not a significant difference.

AFAIK, Epson released its last 'pro' scanner, the V850 in 2014; eight years ago. You have to recognize and admit that printers are released far more often than scanners.

Is there a reason why a 2008 printer (or scanner) requires replacement?

Is there a reason why a 2008 printer (or scanner) requires replacement?

Well, in my case

1. my ancient printers are getting harder to find ink for and the ink is more expensive....
  2. older software and hardware gets harder to run on newer computers (it's hard to find SCSI to whatever transfers, etc.)

Indeed, it is where I found so many with clipped highlights. Don't you recall me asking you about this 'workflow' of destroying image data in our last conversation about scanning you posted in? For others needing proof of concept:

Best software for b&w images?

I asked if you clipped the scans or just clipped the film; you didn't know. Again, you have provided excellent examples of clipping image data; thanks!

Sorry, Alan, I have no examples of clipped data, scans, or captures that are clipped out of ignorance. I do have lots of examples of scans and captures otherwise here in my gallery and on my website.

Indeed, you don't know. It doesn't stop you from making recommendations and providing examples of scans which, I would reject due to massive image clipping you either didn't or can't control.

So you don't know anything about Silverfast and you don't really know anything about Epson Scan (Epsonscan or Epsoscan) for Mac; is that the gist of it? :D

I know that Epsonscan is free and I don't shill for it or any other software like some people around here.

I know that Epsonscan is free and I don't shill for it or any other software like some people around here.

It is the one partial area you've written that is correct (it is free). Even if you can't get the name of the product straight. Or comment about SilverFast in comparison. Or how the actual product called Epson Scan works on a Mac.

Edited by digitaldog

It is the one partial area you've written that is correct (it is free). Even if you can't get the name of the product straight. Or comment about SilverFast in comparison. Or how the actual product called Epson Scan works on a Mac.

Silverfast costing a lot of money is apparently important to the OP as he said he was hesitant about spending so much for it. I advised him that Epsonscan2 for his Apple Mac can be tried out. The software is free. He can then make his own decision and not rely on you or me. He can still go to SF if he finds Epsonscan 2 wanting. IF you could save him a few bucks on SF, I;m sure he would appreciate your help in that matter. We both provided him with helpful options.

Silverfast costing a lot of money is apparently important to the OP as he said he was hesitant about spending so much for it. I advised him that Epsonscan2 for his Apple Mac can be tried out. The software is free. He can then make his own decision and not rely on you or me. He can still go to SF if he finds Epsonscan 2 wanting. IF you could save him a few bucks on SF, I;m sure he would appreciate your help in that matter. We both provided him with helpful options.

Thank you for again sharing with us your strong opinion about a subject you’ve demonstrated you know nothing about. o_O

Edited by digitaldog

Thank you for again sharing with us your strong opinion about a subject you’ve demonstrated you know nothing about. o_O

I've been scanning for over ten years using both Epson V600 and V850 scanners on 35mm, 120, and 4x5 chromes, negative color, and BW film. . Unlike some others here, I've shown the results of my scans on my Flickr page linked below. I'll let viewers judge my experience with scanning rather than listen to others who have an axe to grind about SilverFast and who show little or no scans at all.