I just bought a couple of vintage rolls of Kodak Ektar 1000 for the hell of it on Ebay and was wondering if

anyone has any advice on shooting it. Is it best to shoot at 1000 or another ISO? How is it for night

scenes? I was thinking about using it for some evening shots in New York.

If it is really Ektar 1000 and not Royal Gold 1000, then it was made before 1994. I used to shoot this stuff, but it was grainy when fresh and got worse with age. Freezing didn't help as the problem was radiation sensitivity. I generally tossed the film when it it only had one year to go until expiration.

To give you an idea of what this is like, the largest emulsions in current Portra 800 are around 2 microns in diameter. The larges emulsions in Eltar 1000 were over 4 microns in diameter. With twice the diameter and four times the projected area, these emulsions were roughly four times as sensitive to back ground radiation.

It was absolutely beautiful stuff, almost pointerlistic in the quantity and quality

of the grain. (As far as I am concerned, it's the shape, not the size of the grain

which is important). Anyhow, even Kodak warned that it was very sensitive to

cosmic radiation, and putting it in a freezer inside a lead bag wouldn't save it

once it was out of date.<P>But good luck, anyhow!

• 1 year later...

<p>I just found an exposed roll that expired in 1995. Well, this should be interesting.<br>

As an aside, Superia 1600 isn't that different than Ektar 1000. It's very grainy. It's grainy on the order of recording film. Also it is loath to achieve high density with normal processing. It's also undersaturated. The first thing I do to it after scanning (welcome to the digital age) is bring up the black level quite a bit and crank up the saturation A BUNCH.</p>

• 1 year later...
<p>I know this is super old but I stumbled upon this thread and I thought I would contribute my own findings: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/62182938@N03/5834577061/in/photostream">http://www.flickr.com/photos/62182938@N03/5834577061/in/photostream</a> click previous to see the rest of them. That Ektar roll was shot on a cloudy day. It was also in my backpack for 7 hours in 91 degree heat. When I got the roll developed it was so dense that I almost thought there was nothing on it.</p>