Did I get a good deal?

DrBen

<p>I just bought a locally owned Bronica SQ Ai that looks like it just came out of the box. It was CLA'd about two years ago (I saw the receipt).<br>

The kit included an SQ Ai body with an 80mm, f2.8 PS lens, an AE SQi prism finder, a motor drive and a 120-i back with insert and dark slide for a total price of <strong>$675</strong>.<br>

After searching for a long time, I finally came across the manufacturer's list prices in 2004, when the SQ Ai was discontinued. Apparently, there was enough stock in the warehouse to continue supplying retailers until around 2008. By then, prices in stores were 25% to 50% less than list.<br>

Here are Tamron's 2004 list prices for my kit:<br>

SQ Ai body $1,100<br>

AE SQi Prism finder $1,736<br>

80 mm PA lens $1,660<br>

SQi motor drive $1,057<br>

120-i back $815<br>

Total <strong>$6,368</strong></p>

<p> </p><div>00Zu9w-435575584.jpg.11c375fe890eee1d1c9ae264e6899fb7.jpg</div>

<p>As Jim says, you'll have to check eBay, KEH or others for individual prices.</p>

<p>However, I can tell you that comparison to original list prices, especially for film equipment, even for as recent as 2004 is irrelevant to current market value.</p>

<p>Just taking a glance at current "prices realized" you probably did all right considering the condition and the bundle with the prism and motor.</p>

<p>However, in the future you might want to check the going prices before you buy. ;)</p>

<p>I don't know, but it sounds fair. I know that Hasselblad kits can be had for less than $1k, and they sold for many times their current values. For <$700, I don't think you can go wrong if you plan to use it. And finally, I always go back to basic economics: the fair market value is the price that the seller is willing to take for a product, and the price you are willing to pay to get it.</p>

When I was buying Bronicas the SQAI started becoming rare on eBay. And I subsequently went with the GS system

instead.

Currently there are no(in a quick scan) AI's either listed or completed on eBay, for example. Lots of A's, no AI's.

The winder is pretty much a gimme. The AE prism is premium, figure now you don't absolutely need to carry a $200 light

meter with you. If the lens is clean I would say you got a good deal.

And now you can buy the rest of your lenses for a song, to fill out a nice little kit.

You can probably get back what you paid and a little more in the event you sell it in the future.

<p>As mentioned, don't go by new prices. MF film isn't worth much anymore. I bought a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II with 3 lenses, winder, and prism for $700. The SQAI body only sells for about $300 in good condition, metered prism about $200-$250, PS lens for $100-$200, motor drive $100, backs are $100-$140. So, I'd say it's about fair, bordering on good. It's not as much of a steal as you seem to have hoped, but who cares. Now go buy some film and go enjoy it! Fuji 160 for me.</p>

<p>I appreciate all the comments. Before buying, I did check KEH and eBay. There were a couple SQ Ai's on eBay but nothing exactly configured like mine. Nevertheless, the prices seemed to be in line with what I paid. I wasn't looking for a steal, just a good (fair) deal. It looks like I did O.K. and I am glad I had the advantage of getting the camera from a local person of known reputation. Plus, the condition of the camera is quite amazing. It must be one that really was owned by a little old lady who only "drove" it on Sundays!</p>

<p>I looked up the original list prices just to see what happens when a once costly machine's day has come and gone. With prices what they are now for Bronica stuff, it's really nice to be using niche equipement in the a niche format (b/w film) and be able to get really quality stuff.</p>

<p>I think this is a really great time to work in MF and with B&W or other film. The entry fees for equipment are very modest (cameras. optics, enlargers, etc.) and the large print quality is probably better than even the highest cost 35mm digital systems are capable of. Not only are alternative MF digital cameras very expensive, but the huge file size requires lots of computer power. Yes, film and paper prices are also rising in view of the silver metal price evolution and the smaller production volumes, but quality digital printing is not cheap either. For a combination of craft and art in at least the non-commercial photography environment, traditional MF is very persuasive.</p>

<p>Great deal. I would have refinanced the house(if I had one) to get this camera. However, you got to take into consideration that the value of film cameras came tumbling down once the Digital Revolution took hold. Still, considering the condition the camera is in I would say the value is well over $1000.</p>

<p>I think you did well. I used to have a nice sized kit SQAi gear. The finder looks to be the latest metered finder that the SQ series had and last time I was looking at used prices (KEH and eBay) this finder alone would fetch a minimum $400+ (I was looking for a deal for one and never found a price for less).</p>

<p>Great system. Congratulations!</p>

<p>I would have said that the price you paid was a pretty good deal - bearing in mind that the "recommended" price list was probably heavily dicounted at the time if you shopped around.<br>

You don't say if the kit included the waist level finder that came with the camera body - these are very difficult to obtain second hand should you ever wish to use one.</p>

<p>Have you seen any pictures from it yet? That, and whether the process of using the camera is as expected, are the things that tell you that you have a good deal.</p>

<p>Just about every photographer buying a used MF system will be able to compare the price they paid with a historical new price and conclude that they got a great deal. And of course those historical prices were a part of the reason why so few people bought them and they got discontinued. Its an irrelevant comparison. You could measure your buying performance against the prices actually achieved on eBay- search on "completed listings" if you want. But now that you've bought it and paid for it, whether it works well and helps you make great photographs are the things that matter.</p>

<p>I agree with the others -- I think that was a very fair price you paid, considering condition and the fact that it's had a recent CLA.</p>

<p>For those of us who are still anachronistic enough to use film -- and like it -- now is a great time to buy MF gear. I bought an ETRSi outfit a couple years ago and am almost embarrassed to admit how little I paid for it. Originally I wanted an SQAi, but, like Richard, I wasn't able to find any available at the time. And then I ran across the ETRSi kit, and just couldn't say 'no.' </p>

<p>Now that you have your basic outfit, it's time to do as I've been doing -- add at least a couple lenses -- a wide angle and a moderate tele, and at least one more 120 back. 220 backs for the ETR are plentiful and I actually have a bunch of 220 film so I'm actually using mine. But it's probably something you'll likely rarely use, if ever. I'm in agreement with Richard -- my ETRSi came with a prism finder, and I don't miss not having a WLF at all. Whenever I shoot with my TLR, I always have to flip up that magnifying glass thingy to make sure I've got accurate focus, and there's nothing about "waist level" when using it that way.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Here are Tamron's 2004 list prices for my kit:<br /> SQ Ai body $1,100<br /> AE SQi Prism finder $1,736<br /> 80 mm PA lens $1,660<br /> SQi motor drive $1,057<br /> 120-i back $815<br /> Total <strong>$6,368</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Nobody in their right mind looks at original list prices for this gear. I wouldn't pay over $1,000 for <em>any </em>film camera. I have no idea what my film gear originally sold for. And frankly I don't care.</p>

<p>Having said that it looks like you paid market price or got a good deal. You have a very capable system there that you could easily use quite a bit and sell for probably the same price you bought it for... or a little less. Have fun.</p>