D800, DX crop?

Rene11664880918

<p>15.3 mega<em>pixels </em>in DX crop mode.<br /><br />The actual file size will depend on whether you're shooting in JPG or RAW, what sort of compression you're using, and the nature of the image.<br /><br />The cropped image 4800 x 3200 actual pixels.</p>

<p>I find the DX section of the viewfinder so small that practical application in DX mode is difficult. At least I find the results to be different from my usual style of photography since if I make a severe crop I am not really seeing the subject's expression clearly (using smaller viewfinder section). In practice I will quite often adjust the cropping of images in post-processing but do not use the DX mode (since then it's not possible to go back to a larger view in post, as the data is obviously not there).</p>

<p>The D800 is a great camera though. If you get it, do use as much of the whole FX area as you can.</p>

<p>Ilkka.... Thanks.<br>

I have never touched one coz I wasn't interested on it. Of curse I will go to the local shop to play with it.<br>

I understand what you are saying but in my case I shoot birds... that is 99% of my shots. All I need to be able to see is the eyes and head angle..... Do you think that would work? I have used my D700 on DX mode and it wasn't an issue unless the D800 is different. </p>

<p>If you really want a DX camera, the D7100 looks pretty good. As for the D800, one thing I like about it is the versatility that the crop modes bring to the table. I have it set up so one of the function buttons plus a wheel changes between crop modes and I use it on the fly while setting up shots. But if the camera stayed in 24x16 crop and didn't spend a lot of time in 36x24 and 30x20 modes it wouldn't make much so much sense for me to have it. (There's also a 30x24 but I don't get much use out of it.)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have used my D700 on DX mode and it wasn't an issue unless the D800 is different.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Generally speaking, I too don't like composing with a DX frame inside an FX viewfinder, but if you are ok with doing that using the D700, I don't see why using the D800 would be all that different.</p>

<p>FWIW, I got the D800 thinking I would switch back and forth from FX to DX mode using DX lenses at times, but like Ilkka, above, I find the viewfinder is somewhat frustrating to use in DX mode because the active area looks so small. What most people don't think through is that when you go to DX mode, the viewfinder doesn't magically adjust so that the DX image fills it. Actually what happens when you switch to DX mode is the cropped out FX portion of the viewfinder becomes blurry or a line indicating the DX frame appears inside the larger frame of the viewfinder (depends upon menu options you select). I've settled into just using FX lenses on the D800. The DX glass is reserved for my D300 and will eventually be phased out in years to come. For now the D300 is my second body so the DX 17-55mm stays on it usually and for now obviates the need for a FX 24-70mm. </p>

<p>Rene,<br>

The D300s has a viewfinder magnification of 0.94 with a 50mm lens while the D800 has a magnification of 0.7 also with a 50 mm lens (Nikons figures). So if you use a D800 in DX mode you'll have a smaller viewfinder image than you get with a D300s.<br>

In FX mode it's quite different. To get a fair comparison you'd need a 35mm lens on the D300 and the magnification goes down to 0.66 which is a little worse. (Can anyone who's used both cameras confirm that. It seems to me that the DX camera does better than I expected.)<br>

Also, personally, I wouldn't buy a new camera just to get an increase in linear resolution of 4800/4288 or 12%. I doubt it would be very noticeable.</p>

<p>For what it's worth, on the occasions when I've used the DX crop from my D800, it's been because I want reach and frame rate/small files. I actually found the "sports finder" effect of seeing what's outside the DX crop to be useful. I wouldn't in all other circumstances, but the times when it was useful to me helpfully coincided with when I was using DX in the first place. YMMV.</p>

<p>Why not consider the D7100? It's a DX camera to start with and it also offers an additional 1.3x crop mode for long telephoto work. It's cheaper than the D800, all your DX lenses will work on it and you'll have a better viewfinder experience. It's the ultimate camera for birding on a budget in my opinion (and I am a Canon shooter!)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Jimie..... I don't have any DX lenses.... and for me the MOST important thing when buying a camera is how well it feels in my hands...... therefor the d7100 is not in my shopping list, same as a d600.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, I assumed you were using DX lenses. However, for getting close to the action the D7100 is in the top spot for me. Would the handling not improve it you added a vertical grip?</p>