D300 images

michael_b6

Can anyone point me to some online images that exemplfy what the D300 can do?

I'm not interested in test shots or pixel-peeping - just great, real-life

pictures, at any ISO. Like many, I'm weighing the D300 vs the Canon 5D -

while the list of factors in favor of the D300 is much longer than that in

favor of the 5D, the outstanding image quality of the 5D has me hesitating.

While many people report similar IQ between the two cameras, I've been having

trouble finding pictures taken by the D300 that match the simple 'wow' factor

of shots I've seen taken with the 5D. Somebody, please 'wow' me with some

D300 images and make this choice a simple one! Thanks.

I have some nighttime engagement session shots on my blog at studioalameda.blogspot.com

you can check out. Including one shot at ISO 3200 1/8 sec f2.8 ~ which should give you an

idea of how dark it was at times. Scroll down to the Jan 28th entry.

The ones above that are all D3 images.

~rc

Bruce, I'm not putting the D300 down - I know that the 5D has a big jump on the D300, time-wise - but I'm guessing there are some great images out there buried among all the snapshots that I simply haven't come across yet. And no, I won't be complaining when the new 5D comes out - great images are great images, regardless of when the camera was built, and I'm guessing that the next version of the 5D will be beyond my budget. I'd love to rent both and try them out first-hand, to see how they perform for me personally, but I don't live in a place where that's possible. So I'd just like to see the best that each camera can do (and I think I've seen plenty of that already with the 5D).

I have both. If you are not going to try both yourself to compare, my suggestion is get the D300. I suspect that if you try both, you will likely decide on the D300 anyway.

Walter's comment is right on the money. A good photographer will get great images with any good camera/lens combination.

I haven't shot with a Canon since my AE1, but I do have a D300 and love it. I really don't keep track of the Canon bodies so I can't compare them. I can give you some links to a few of my galleries.

<a href="http://delmar.smugmug.com">This one</a> is my school's website where I am the yearbook advisor and do some of the photos. The basketball and talent show galleries are shot with the D300. You can see the camera settings by clicking on the info button on the popup menu that comes up on the larger photo. Sports photography isn't my thing, I just do it when we need additional photos.

<a href="http://samellis.smugmug.com/2007%20Weddings/434111">This one</a> is the wedding I shot with the D300.

Not knowing the comparison to Canon, all I can say is the autofocus is great, the noise is minimal, and the camera feels nice in your hand.

Hope that helps.

Sam

Realistically, in good light, any DSLR will yield good picture quality. As others have said, a lot of it is the photographer's skill.

Thanks to all who sent links. And sure, again, the photographer is the key ingredient. I've gotten great results with my D70, but have also slammed up against its limitations. Also, back before I went to digital, my girlfriend had a Canon slr - an AE-1 I believe - and I shot alot with a Contax TVS - a p&s-sized camera that could also be set manually. With 98% accuracy, you could tell which camera took any given picture - and the little Contax (maybe thanks to the little piece of Zeiss glass on the front) consistently blew the Canon away, regardless of who was using it.