Curly Retro 100

Today i developed a Rollei Retro 100 in XTOL stocksolution. I Also developed a

AGFA APX 400 in Rpodinal 1+25.

The Retro 100, which is the same film as a AGFA APX 100, was tinted with a

small portion of blue/magenta an very curled. Very hard to get it flat enough

to fit into the scanner. It was curled with both sides against the middle. I

used Tetenal Mirasol wetting agent, a few drops The 400 film was perfect.

the base on the Retro 100 is 7?n and the 400 is 10?n.

Any sugestion what make the film curl like a shitty Lucky SHD100?

Just a question, Erik. I've read a lot of statements that Rollei Retro 100 *is* Agfa APX 100, but I have not seen that from Rollei - just that their Retro 100 has "the same characteristics" as APX 100. Well, any B&W film "has the same characteristics" as any other, basically. Depends on what they mean by saying it.

Now, I have no idea if Rollei Retro 100 is APX 100 or not. It would make sense, since there is a lot of it about in warehouses and such, and it is already *in* Germany, mostly.

However, I have used Agfa APX 100, and it lays flat when I pull it out of the juice. I've used Rodinal on it, no problem. Nice and flat like a pancake.

Forte 100, on the other hand, curls like a big dog.

So I ask - seriously and in innocence - is it possible that the Rollei Retro 100 is actually Forte 100?

Probably never know, but that's all I can think of. In my experience, B&W films that are curly are curly in every developer - it doesn't matter what you soup them in. Hence my question.

Wondering if Wolf will answer to this?

The last run of AGFA had a differant base... The Base that is... not the total film. it was made in the former East Euripan countries but coated in Germany... I have alot of Agfa 100 and 400 new and old .... and the problem I have with the new is not only the curel but the 400 is more like a 200 at best.

Larry

The ROLLEI RETRO 100 + 400 is definitely cut from latest original AGFA APX 100 + 400 master rolls, and converted into ROLLEI RETRO's, as roll films 120 only! These two films are the only ROLLEI films, still poured on tri-acetat film base.

After processing, the films generally should take a wetting agent bath, and than should be drying in a COOL and dust free place, with some special darkroom lead clamps underneath.

This should solve the curling problem!

Regards

I do not claim that Erik's Rollei film is actually Forte, I only note that Fortepan 100 is also a very curly film, and that Rollei does not appear to actually state that their Retro 100 film is Agfa APX 100 - they just say it shares the same characteristics. This can mean anything.

I have never known a wetting agent to cure curliness. I have never managed to get Fortepan 100 to lay flat enough for my purposes, and I do use a wetting agent, as well as hanging it with heavy weights to dry. The films do not curl up as they would in the roll; rather they curl longitudinally, from edge to edge, not from end to end.

I have followed every recommended procedure, including cutting and sleeving them and pressing them under heavy books for a couple of weeks before trying to scan them. They still won't lay flat in the trays. I also tried different developers. I finally gave up with that particular film.

Larry Dressler: If i give you the batchnumber of my Agfa APX 400 film, will you then be able to tell me anything about it, if its old or new. Since you mentioned that 400 act like 200. And could i try to rate and develop it like a 100? I have a lot of 400 dated 2009/2010

• 1 year later...